Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM

9 posts, read 9,382 times

Advertisements

Everyone,

Thanks for your responses in regards to Bedstuy, you've really changed my mind about living there. Is there a specific area you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrom3rdID View Post
MovingVeteran,
Hey brother. I am separating next year and working on my application to Pace University grad school right now. How are we gonna prove income to landlords if we don't have one once we leave service?
I will have some money saved up to pay deposits and couple month of rent. Also my credit is excellent.
Guys is it possible to work it out with landlords? Because it will take a while to receive our housing stipend from VA. However, it possibly wouldn't meet 40x income requirement
I have no idea to be honest. I've read that it might be easier if you work with landlords directly and explain the situation. I'm still unsure of whether I will use a broke or not, but if I do I will definitely let them know the situation upfront to save both of our time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:47 PM

115 posts, read 165,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingVeteran View Post
Everyone,

Thanks for your responses in regards to Bedstuy, you've really changed my mind about living there. Is there a specific area you would recommend?
Yes. I recommend the areas near the Nostrand stop on the A and the Bedford Nostrand stop on the G.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
^Surely good advice re: housing stock. Just keep in mind that the A subway line is much more reliable and frequent than the G.

Starting your day on a G often means transferring to another subway, so that's a layover wait somewhere. The A takes you right into Lower, then midtown Manhattan. It runs express (skipping local stops) until 10 pm weeknights, then becomes all local.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM

26 posts, read 32,738 times
Ah yeah if you do not want room mates FiDi would be out of your budget.

I had a lot of crap going on in my early 20's but looking back I see Pace was what provided me the moments of relief that got me through. But I lived in the dorms so it was easier to make friends and find a community. Some of the profs are much better than others (ratemyprofessor.com is pretty accurate when looking up what a prof is like). Figure that every semester at least one of your classes will include a pointless pain in the a** group project. Meant to "foster team/leadership skills" (and just coincidentally has the benefit of reducing how much work the prof has to grade!)

When I went (4 years ago) Pace was trying to get some Greek life going. It may have fizzled out by now. I doubt it took off. Personally I found the frat boys extremely obnoxious and annoying (they thought they were the hottest thing ever because straight males are a minority at Pace so they got to be big fish in a little pond)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City