Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 8,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Beat me to it.

At the same time ... I am not at all in favor of the hordes of people currently coming to New York for "improved social services." There are scarcely sufficient resources to care for the people we have here already. We do not owe housing or services to out-of-state people.

Taxpayers, who fund programs such as LINC, should speak up.

Wow why do you have to be so rude? I had to flee NJ because I was in an abusive relationship.I just want a fresh start for myself and my child.I am working you know. People in the shelter cant just sit around all day doing nothing.Most of use aren't ghetto and lazy.SMH if all I asked was for apartment info not for you to be a judgemental prick.Yes, there are people that come to NYC from other states seeking help because its harder to get the help you need in places like NJ,Utah and CT.Whats wrong with wanting a fresh start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingforhousingNYC View Post
Wow why do you have to be so rude? I had to flee NJ because I was in an abusive relationship.I just want a fresh start for myself and my child.I am working you know. People in the shelter cant just sit around all day doing nothing.Most of use aren't ghetto and lazy.SMH if all I asked was for apartment info not for you to be a judgemental prick.Yes, there are people that come to NYC from other states seeking help because its harder to get the help you need in places like NJ,Utah and CT.Whats wrong with wanting a fresh start?
Nothing, as long as you fund it yourself.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
It can take years to find a new low income apartment in NYC. You said your voucher is expiring soon. You may have to move elsewhere.

Relocating to a place where you don't know anyone or have any sort of support system is hard, as you are clearly experiencing.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
The problem is our city has a hard enough time housing people who are residents here and have been here for a long time. Many people have had circumstances in life happen which cause them to need a fresh start. I'm happy to hear you got away from an abusive relationship and do work but you have to know that you have to depend on yourself in life and not the government. You may want to consider moving to a different city/state versus one of the most expensive ones. That will give you a fresh start, and hopefully you will be able to make it on your own without depending upon the government. It will set a great example for your child too. Getting a away from your bad relationship, starting over and taking care of you two all by yourself!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:13 PM

503 posts, read 899,071 times
Do what you have to do for your child OP. If being in a shelter in NYC is what you think best. I honestly don't care that people come into NYC to take advantage of the resources, it's not their fault, those programs need to exist first; don't they? hint hint. I for one would welcome anyone to NYC, take it! love it! enjoy the struggle! I'm getting away soon, couldn't care less.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Do what you have to do for your child OP. If being in a shelter in NYC is what you think best. I honestly don't care that people come into NYC to take advantage of the resources, it's not their fault, those programs need to exist first; don't they? hint hint. I for one would welcome anyone to NYC, take it! love it! enjoy the struggle! I'm getting away soon, could care less.
It's great that you are able to make decisions and give advice based on ethics and principle, you know, instead of the commonly seen (these days) and narcissistic "it's all about me-e-e-e-e ..."

Oh, wait.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM

503 posts, read 899,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It's great that you are able to make decisions and give advice based on ethics and principle, you know, instead of the commonly seen (these days) and narcissistic "it's all about me-e-e-e-e ..."

Oh, wait.
If I had a ladder I'd climb onto your high horse to thank you on behalf of the op, for your sagelike advice in dealing with her situation!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
If I had a ladder I'd climb onto your high horse to thank you on behalf of the op, for your sagelike advice in dealing with her situation!
I assure you that my comments were based on principle. Quite often I encounter people who need help and deserve help. There is not enough to go around. The fact that other states have voted welfare out in many instances is not their problem. Not to mention that we are already supporting far too many people.

Somebody needs to become more proactive about this.
If you cannot afford to move here you should not move here. Period. It's not rocket science.

Most people agree but are not thinking about it enough, or do not realize that it is a growing problem.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Quote:
Hello! I really need help finding an apartment for myself and two year old son.We came to New York last Sept. from New Jersey. I had to relocate due to a DV issue with my childs father and we came to NY because the social services are much better. Since then I've been stuck in a NYC homeless shelter. My voucher is for $1268 but its really hard trying to find a landlord to accept it.I have my fingers crossed for a housing lottery to come through but my voucher is expiring soon and I've apartment hunting for 4 months with no luck. I haven't had much luck on craigslist so a friend told me to post here. Is there anyone willing to help? I am 22 very hard working single mom.My child and I are clean respectful people and not low lives.please message me if you can help or have any useful information.
Hello

I am a licensed real estate salesperson in NYC and My team and I are working closely with the shelters to aid in finding suitable housing for recipients like yourself who have received a linc voucher. I would like to offer my assistance if you have not yet found an apartment for you and your child. It's terrible how a few bad people can spoil it for those who truly need the help. e-mail me and I will share my contact info with you. [email]m.castillo1102@gmail.com[/email]

and to those who don't have a solution for this young lady shouldn't comment. Another job would satisfy the need to come on the internet and comment on something you have no resolution for.

I wonder what you would do if someone was beating your butt, let me guess stand there and take it right!!!!
EXACTLY!!!

@OP Excuse the ignorance of some people pray for them!!!!!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
I have a friend seeking a 1-2 bedroom Queens apartment where LINC is accepted. Budget is $1200-$1500. If you know of any, kindly message me, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City