Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:13 PM

931 posts, read 801,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You would be surprised.

But speaking of "blacklisting" people ....
Explain...I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
You would be surprised.

But speaking of "blacklisting" people ....
I've never used any so-called "blacklist". A simple judgment order on a deadbeat tenants credit report is enough to alert other landlords of their rental history. Also, all housing court actions in the state of NY can be found with a simple records search online at The Unified New York Court System website.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain

Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I've never used any so-called "blacklist". A simple judgment order on a deadbeat tenants credit report is enough to alert other landlords of their rental history. Also, all housing court actions in the state of NY can be found with a simple records search online at The Unified New York Court System website.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain
And perusing those would be very educational for people. You will see, for example, a building on St. Nicholas Avenue - many, many entirely specious claims by tenants. Suffice to say here. The tenants are not paying and claim all sorts of problems, they file additional paperwork. Yet the cases drag on and so do they in their apartments. It is my opinion that they will be bought out in the end. Perhaps this was the aim.

You would also see buildings held by predatory investment firms. If you knew them, you would see the numerous court cases brought and denied and you would understand that this is for sheer lack of grounds. Landlords do that because unless a harassment case is finally brought, which does happen, they have nothing to lose by trying.

This requires actually knowing the history of a given building and bringing this into a relationship with the data from the housing court calendar. Very much lacking here.

Not that I am advocating sympathy for landlords or tenants necessarily. It is more a comment on the simple-minded and stupidly linear thinking you can observe on this board. Alone, internet searches reveal just about nothing that is actually useful. But I believe that I just commented again that people are not very smart. Too soon to do so again.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Landlord/tenant court in NYC is not a slow as everyone assumes...especially for none payment of rent and lease violations. Queens and Brooklyn counties are actually extremely quick.
That's good to hear, I've got a non-payment coming up this week.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
That's good to hear, I've got a non-payment coming up this week.
Bring paperwork and lots of it. Pictures, if you have them

Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Bring paperwork and lots of it. Pictures, if you have them
Besides the lease, what else would I need?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Besides the lease, what else would I need?
I am remembering what you explained earlier - you would like her to leave because you are selling ? and she is not responsible in rent payment. You mentioned that she had made complaints, not official ones but to you. If you have paperwork that you either addressed her claims responsibly or whatever, I would bring that. I would be conversant with all of the meetings and conversations you had, date-wise, and what you did to resolve her concerns. Bring a calendar with this information.

I would also be able to document the late payments, you could explain that you would hate to leave an irresponsible tenant for the new owner. If you think her complaints were unreasonable you could try to document this, you inspected or sent someone and the outcome was .... Pictures - if she complained about things that were not broken, demonstrate this if you can.

The more paperwork the better. This is true for either party in any case.
Whoever has the most papers, I mean "documents," often wins.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I am remembering what you explained earlier - you would like her to leave because you are selling ? and she is not responsible in rent payment. You mentioned that she had made complaints, not official ones but to you. If you have paperwork that you either addressed her claims responsibly or whatever, I would bring that. I would be conversant with all of the meetings and conversations you had, date-wise, and what you did to resolve her concerns. Bring a calendar with this information.

I would also be able to document the late payments, you could explain that you would hate to leave an irresponsible tenant for the new owner. If you think her complaints were unreasonable you could try to document this, you inspected or sent someone and the outcome was .... Pictures - if she complained about things that were not broken, demonstrate this if you can.

The more paperwork the better. This is true for either party in any case.
Whoever has the most papers, I mean "documents," often wins.
Yes, I am selling I the new owners want the building empty. She is a chronic late payer, like each and every month. As of this writing i have not received the rent payment for March. I have a property manager who addressed each and every concern of hers.

Each late payment came in the mail and I saved the envelope with the postmark.
She works for HPD and is using this in veiled threats to me everytime I ask her for rent. I am thinking of making a complaint to the IG for her job.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am selling I the new owners want the building empty. She is a chronic late payer, like each and every month. As of this writing i have not received the rent payment for March. I have a property manager who addressed each and every concern of hers.

Each late payment came in the mail and I saved the envelope with the postmark.
She works for HPD and is using this in veiled threats to me everytime I ask her for rent. I am thinking of making a complaint to the IG for her job.
You should, and I believe you suggested this earlier.
I felt strongly about it because I respect HPD very much. They do a lot for people and they are less corrupt than many other agencies - far less. Ironically they have been in the news more for scandals but I always thought that was political. Other agencies are far worse, either not caught or do not get press or both.

Any case, I would bring all of the paperwork you have and very organized.
With notes, which you can complete before arriving at court.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:56 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Which is illegal under NYC and NYS law. A deposit can NEVER be used for rent without written permission from the landlord.
Right, and I'm not recommending that everyone break the law. Still, whether the OP goes this way or not, I'd recommend that s/he take extensive pictures/videos of the unit in the days and weeks leading up to his/her departure as the landlord sounds very shady. Wouldn't want the OP's landlord faking damage as retaliation. Note, back to the original point, though using a security deposit to pay for rent absent agreement with the landlord to do so is illegal, I'd be shocked if the landlord would have any legal recourse if the tenant leaves the unit in a legally sound state for which the tenant owes nothing in repairs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City