Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you direct most of NYC's $1.3B surplus
Housing 6 20.00%
Transportation (Exluding State-Controlled MTA) 6 20.00%
Sanitation 6 20.00%
Parks & Recreation 2 6.67%
Economic Development 4 13.33%
Education 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The poster above and the poster below are anti poor, anti uneducated, anti middle class, anti working class, pro gentrficiation and other nuances with so on. I would say use the money to support your agenda of moving the masses of undesirables out of the city and make NYC more desirable.

He said excluding MTA which is a state agency. First off 1.3 billion is not going to do much for the MTA's NYCT division and will only be a dent with improving its system. NYC has a transportation crisis, but 1.3 billion is not going to do much. Same could be said for fixing roads and bridges. NYC also has a housing crisis and 1.3 billion is not going to do much, NYCHA repairs are about 20 billion dollars, and tax abatements for affordable housing wont do much either with 1.3 billion dollars. NYC has an education crisis. Using the 1.3 billion for more mix public/private charter schools wont do much either. If I was the city and I had a surplus of money? I would pay back creditors that loan money to the city, and or pay back municipal bond holders. Improving finances in the long run for a municipality makes the a city look more healthy and stable on paper in the eyes of creditors and bond buyers.

But if the city wanted to use 1.3 billion dollars on improving the city? I would say the money should go to improving parks through out the city. A job core to help those in need of work especially vets and excons who have difficulty finding work. Use 1.3 billion to improve city agencies like sanitation, NYPD, FDNY.
And I ignored his excluding the MTA. I personally think it should go to the MTA. There's definitely no need to prepay bondholders. Every bit of money counts. The MTA's capital budget has a 15 billion dollar hole in and if de Blasio offered up that money they will not turn it down (they'll need additional money, but that could come from other sources).

The city's finances are becoming more stable with improved tax receipts. With more money coming in and more ability to finance debt the city can issue more bonds to pay for more projects (like transit expansion).

There's no reason to use this money to move people out of the city. They'll figure out how to move themselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:11 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I'd make a deal with the state about the MTA, giving them a 50% matching grant, giving them $1.5 million for every million they spend. But it can't go for electronic crap. It would be for new buses, restoring subway booth-men, etc.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Education, and this time follow a value-creation model rather than the value-extraction model that has been in place.
Just like the elite institutions.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Education, transportation, NYCHA, etc are just money black holes, they need reforms, not additional funding, and 1 billion wouldn't do anything for those problems.

I'd use the money to either incentivize the move of MSG, or building a new proper convention center, and platforming over Sunnyside yards in Queens. These projects would also bring additional revenue to the city in the long run. I guess these would go under "economic development" on OPs list.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Education, transportation, NYCHA, etc are just money black holes, they need reforms, not additional funding, and 1 billion wouldn't do anything for those problems.

I'd use the money to either incentivize the move of MSG, or building a new proper convention center, and platforming over Sunnyside yards in Queens. These projects would also bring additional revenue to the city in the long run. I guess these would go under "economic development" on OPs list.
I totally agree with this to a certain extent. NYCHA and affordable housing, transportation and education are huge crisis in this city and 1.3 billion can not fix none of them, or even get them up to speed. Its up to uncle Sam to fix housing, education and transportation in the city.

MSG is not moving anytime soon even if the city offered up money. But a new convention center in Queens would be assume and a huge money maker in the long run of things.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
NYC could PAY BACK the Federal Government? For the Bailout preventing Bankruptcy in the 70s. So it can be used to bailout Chicago now? With its Big Pensions shortfall and Debt?

Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
NYC could PAY BACK the Federal Government?
NYC is a net donor already, we pay $96 billion more every year than we receive from the feds. The feds have to bail out NYC once every 10 years to the tune of $1 trillion dollars just to break even with us.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Education, and this time follow a value-creation model rather than the value-extraction model that has been in place.
Just like the elite institutions.
Yes, allocate it to education, but not one dime to hedge fund backed charter schools. Education needs to remain under the control of the taxpayers, and not be turned over to for profit entities.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The poster above and the poster below are anti poor, anti uneducated, anti middle class, anti working class, pro gentrficiation and other nuances with so on. I would say use the money to support your agenda of moving the masses of undesirables out of the city and make NYC more desirable.

He said excluding MTA which is a state agency. First off 1.3 billion is not going to do much for the MTA's NYCT division and will only be a dent with improving its system. NYC has a transportation crisis, but 1.3 billion is not going to do much. Same could be said for fixing roads and bridges. NYC also has a housing crisis and 1.3 billion is not going to do much, NYCHA repairs are about 20 billion dollars, and tax abatements for affordable housing wont do much either with 1.3 billion dollars. NYC has an education crisis. Using the 1.3 billion for more mix public/private charter schools wont do much either. If I was the city and I had a surplus of money? I would pay back creditors that loan money to the city, and or pay back municipal bond holders. Improving finances in the long run for a municipality makes the a city look more healthy and stable on paper in the eyes of creditors and bond buyers.

But if the city wanted to use 1.3 billion dollars on improving the city? I would say the money should go to improving parks through out the city. A job core to help those in need of work especially vets and excons who have difficulty finding work. Use 1.3 billion to improve city agencies like sanitation, NYPD, FDNY.
While I disagree with your characterization of the state of some of the other City/State services listed, I do agree with you on choosing parks, which is what I factored when I answered this post.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, allocate it to education, but not one dime to hedge fund backed charter schools. Education needs to remain under the control of the taxpayers, and not be turned over to for profit entities.
That's exactly what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City