Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM

49 posts, read 55,073 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the city for twenty-six years, right in the center of Greenwich Village. I've seen a lot of things come and go, but one thing that truly mystifies me is the "texting while walking" thing. In my neighborhood, it's mostly young women from NYU who do it. My mind actually boggles at the fact that they don't know how ridiculous they look. I'm not even going to mention the fact that it's rude as hell. (See how I snuck that in there?) Do they really get that many text messages, and are they really that clueless?

The ONLY rational explanation that I've come up with is that they do this because, as young women in the city, they are afraid that they will be accosted when they're in public. Presumably, many came from out of state to attend school here. (I shouldn't presume, though, because when you presume, you make a pres out of you and me.) Maybe they're intimidated by the crowds on the sidewalks, so they hide their heads in their phone because they don't want to engage anyone.

Has anyone else spent even a remotely significant amount of time thinking about this, and if you're as neurotic as I am, what have you come up with? (I don't mean your revenge fantasies, just your deepest, most intimate thoughts on the matter.) Or maybe I've hit the jackpot and YOU who-is-reading-this are an individual who rudely texts and walks. Explanation, please? No response turned away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
You must not know much about modern technology or have a smart phone if you only think its text messaging that's happening.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:43 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
First, I don't think they look particularly ridiculous. Certainly no sillier than someone trying to read a map while walking or eating pizza while walking. Second, isn't part of being in NYC learning not to care if you look ridiculous?

However, it's definitely annoying. And also stupid not to pay attention to what going on around you. My thoughts just lead me the same place as most people: That they have been addicted to gadgets and the internet.

No revenge fantasies, certainly. My only fantasies about walkers is that I wistfully dream of yanking down the pants of idiot guys who wear them so low-slung that the waistline is pretty much below the but.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
I've lived in the city for twenty-six years, right in the center of Greenwich Village. I've seen a lot of things come and go, but one thing that truly mystifies me is the "texting while walking" thing. In my neighborhood, it's mostly young women from NYU who do it. My mind actually boggles at the fact that they don't know how ridiculous they look. I'm not even going to mention the fact that it's rude as hell. (See how I snuck that in there?) Do they really get that many text messages, and are they really that clueless?

The ONLY rational explanation that I've come up with is that they do this because, as young women in the city, they are afraid that they will be accosted when they're in public. Presumably, many came from out of state to attend school here. (I shouldn't presume, though, because when you presume, you make a pres out of you and me.) Maybe they're intimidated by the crowds on the sidewalks, so they hide their heads in their phone because they don't want to engage anyone.

Has anyone else spent even a remotely significant amount of time thinking about this, and if you're as neurotic as I am, what have you come up with? (I don't mean your revenge fantasies, just your deepest, most intimate thoughts on the matter.) Or maybe I've hit the jackpot and YOU who-is-reading-this are an individual who rudely texts and walks. Explanation, please? No response turned away.
Now you know why persons are always getting jacked, attacked, hit by vehicles, raped, etc... No small number walk around NYC day and night in their own world, totally oblivious to their surroundings.

About a week ago watched a man nearly get run over by a car as he walked right out into 79th Street traffic against the light. Busy with his smart phone he just sashayed out into the street and was literally grazed by the vehicle.

No, it is not just the Village area but all over NYC persons are engrossed with texting while walking. It is becoming an epidemic and darn tiresome as well.

NYC sidewalks are crowded and narrow as it is, but now you have scores of persons walking with their heads down totally not looking where they are going. Worse they catch an attitude when you say "Hello!" to stop them from running into you.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
It's annoying only because as soon as someone pulls out their phone and starts reading or responding to messages, they slow to a snails pace--and many times quite suddenly. It's infuriating when someone literally blocks a subway entrance to send one last message before entering the train.

I just wish people would stop and move aside if they are going to send a message. I really don't think there is any special explanation other than they are distracted by their devices.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now you know why persons are always getting jacked, attacked, hit by vehicles, raped, etc... No small number walk around NYC day and night in their own world, totally oblivious to their surroundings.

About a week ago watched a man nearly get run over by a car as he walked right out into 79th Street traffic against the light. Busy with his smart phone he just sashayed out into the street and was literally grazed by the vehicle.

No, it is not just the Village area but all over NYC persons are engrossed with texting while walking. It is becoming an epidemic and darn tiresome as well.

NYC sidewalks are crowded and narrow as it is, but now you have scores of persons walking with their heads down totally not looking where they are going. Worse they catch an attitude when you say "Hello!" to stop them from running into you.
Completely AGREE.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:19 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Far more annoying to me is people READING a book while walking - whether it be an old fashioned book or a Kindle. I see that surprisingly often and they are oblivious, usually walking at an inconsistent pace and not paying attention to their surroundings.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Far more annoying to me is people READING a book while walking - whether it be an old fashioned book or a Kindle. I see that surprisingly often and they are oblivious, usually walking at an inconsistent pace and not paying attention to their surroundings.
I lost count of how many times I've been behind someone walking up the stairs from the subway reading a book/Kindle. It's so rude.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I think many of them are using just a $6.99 empty case and trying to look as if they have an actual social life. A combo of empty cases and emptier heads.

At least the Kindle people might actually be READING.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
remember fountain lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYY_ep5Nh0

If I see someone texting while walking towards me, I do not move, and I try to trip them. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City