Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 PM

80 posts, read 162,120 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC to get a job as a teacher and I am taking with me some money that I plan to use to get me set up for at least a whole year (rent, gas, electricity, phone, internet) while I search for a teaching position. Now, assuming I get a job before that year is over, are landlords open to the idea of somebody who still doesn't have a job paying them in advance for a whole year? I ask because I understand that to rent in NYC you have to give landlords a whole lot of documents (bank statements, pay stubs, work histories) that prove that you can pay next month's rent, but I was just wondering about my plan. Will landlords laugh at my offer? Is that a far-fetched idea that nobody will consider? Do they even allow [potential] tenants to pay them so much in advance? I don't have anyone in NYC who will let me stay with them until I get settled and employed, so I figured that my best bet would be to save enough money and do what I mentioned above. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

Last edited by SPAteacherNYC; 03-28-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
It depends on the landlord-management company. In my experience with your situation some will ask for either of these options:
1. A yr up front with 1 month security
2. 6 months up front and 6 months security
3. 3 months up front and 6 months security
4. 12 months of security

Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
Almost all will but make sure you find a good place because if something about the place sucks, good luck getting your money back.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
It depends on the landlord-management company. In my experience with your situation some will ask for either of these options:
1. A yr up front with 1 month security
2. 6 months up front and 6 months security
3. 3 months up front and 6 months security
4. 12 months of security
Interesting. What would paying all those months of security (as opposed to rent per se) entail for me and for the landlord? I am not familiar with a lot of these matters, so I am not sure why the landlords would ask for, say, a whole year in security...

Oh, and thanks for replying, silverbullnyc!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Almost all will but make sure you find a good place because if something about the place sucks, good luck getting your money back.
Yes!! I hadn't thought of that, but it's absolutely important to consider it! Thanks a lot for replying, lkm370!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:19 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAteacherNYC View Post
Interesting. What would paying all those months of security (as opposed to rent per se) entail for me and for the landlord? I am not familiar with a lot of these matters, so I am not sure why the landlords would ask for, say, a whole year in security...

Oh, and thanks for replying, silverbullnyc!
Pretty much nothing in your favor, its to make sure they are getting monthly money somehow in case you cant land a job, situations change and you have to leave, get hired and quite-get fired after a few weeks. They have made sure to have cover their side of expenses and if apt needs to be fixed up a bit and then rented again asap while still having your money and getting new money. They dont know if you're really going to be living there and only renting it out for some illegal activities. Lot of small stuff when it comes to people who offer to pay something up front because of whatever reasons.

A yr of security only is very rare and i only deal with 4 management companies who ask for it (who knows how many others do too that i dont know of) in your situation, no guarantor and international students.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 AM

115 posts, read 165,375 times
I'm sure lots of landlors (especially regular home owners) will since you have the funds. They really have nothing to lose in this situation. My concern is about your job search. Do you have any connections in the DOE? If you are certified out of state, it can be tough getting NYS certified.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Pretty much nothing in your favor, its to make sure they are getting monthly money somehow in case you cant land a job, situations change and you have to leave, get hired and quite-get fired after a few weeks. They have made sure to have cover their side of expenses and if apt needs to be fixed up a bit and then rented again asap while still having your money and getting new money. They dont know if you're really going to be living there and only renting it out for some illegal activities. Lot of small stuff when it comes to people who offer to pay something up front because of whatever reasons.

A yr of security only is very rare and i only deal with 4 management companies who ask for it (who knows how many others do too that i dont know of) in your situation, no guarantor and international students.
Thanks! Question (this is what confuses me): when they ask for a year's worth of security, would that be in addition to a year's worth of rent? Or is it just a year of security? When you write that “it's to make sure that they are getting monthly money somehow,” I think: “wouldn't that be the same if I paid them a year of rent money? They are still getting money ‘monthly,’ aren't they?”

Sorry about my confusion, and thanks a lot, silverbullnyc, for helping me.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
I'm sure lots of landlors (especially regular home owners) will since you have the funds. They really have nothing to lose in this situation. My concern is about your job search. Do you have any connections in the DOE? If you are certified out of state, it can be tough getting NYS certified.
Hi, Classie! Thanks for replying. No, I don't know anyone in the DOE, and that's why I thought that maybe I should save enough money to set myself up for a year of living in NYC as if I didn't have any income in that year. I figured that before 12 months I'd get a job, but now that you write this, I wonder... When you write that it can be tough getting NYS certified, does it mean that they take forever to certify you, that they rarely certify out-of-state teachers or that they put so many hurdles in front of you that people give up? Or maybe that means that jobs are scarce?
I have always dreamt of teaching in the inner city and I figured that NYS would be happy to embrace and nurture teachers who were not afraid to take on the unique challlenges that the task entails.
Thanks dor any help!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
You do not need to live in NYC to get a job as either a public or private school teacher. What you will need is a New York State teaching certificate. If you don't have one, I would advise getting one before moving.
See link below.

NYSED::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City