Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I smell troll. I looked on craigslist under Harlem and none of the ROOM for rent I saw asked for credit.

The OP, if he is legit could place an add on Craigslist saying he's looking for a room for rent.
I also found this very strange. I just looked at the rooms/shares section on craigslist and there are currently 12,300 ads. I then searched for the term "credit" within those ads and got about 2,900 results.

So that means that there are currently about 9,500 ads in the Rooms/shares section of NYC craigslist with NO MENTION OF CREDIT.

Also, there is some portion of the ads that come up under the "credit" search that actually say "no credit check" which mean there are most likely well over 10,000 listings currently that either make no mention of credit, or say that no credit is required to apply.

So, yeah, OP is either being trollish or, if giving benefit of the doubt, just has no idea how to search for things on craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,317 times
Ok, maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I live in another major city and was rejected from two rooms due to credit. I managed to get on a lease for a room, though, but it took a little more work and references. I was just wondering if that would also be the case in NYC.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementaryschool33 View Post
Ok, maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I live in another major city and was rejected from two rooms due to credit. I managed to get on a lease for a room, though, but it took a little more work and references. I was just wondering if that would also be the case in NYC.
I can't really answer whether or not you will have trouble finding a room. However, I can see that there are possibly thousands of room listings that don't mention anything about credit.

Maybe you are just clicking on the flashy ones with sleek looking photos that are going to have more competition (many applicants) so the lease holders or manager or whoever is listing the room can afford to be very choosy.

Instead of clicking on 10 ads, try 100?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementaryschool33 View Post
I am 28 years old and I was just accepted into grad school in New York. I will work FT and be a PT student taking class once a week. I want to find a room to rent (with other roommates, not my own place) in the Bronx, Yonkers or Harlem area, but I have a credit score of 533 due to two charged off credit cards with a total combined balance of $2200. I lost my job and was unable to pay the credit card bills back in 2012. My boss from that job is still my reference to this day, the company was having financial troubles and needed to downsize. I can link nonpayment on my credit report to when I lost my job.

I plan to pay the balance prior to moving for school, so my credit report will be updated to Paid in Full on each charged off card. I have always paid rent on time and have a great rental history since I've started renting 5 years ago. I am an excellent tenant and I have roommate references, too.

Will I be able to find a room to rent? Almost every ad I read on Craigslist says I need to have good credit. I will have a full time job and great rental history. Will that be enough or do I risk ending up with no place to stay? I need a place to live and I want to attend this grad program. There is NO student housing.
You'll have to sublet to hope to rent, I did that 10 years ago, while I was subletting an apt, the owner asked me if I wanted to keep renting there. Once you're in a sublet, it's easier for an owner to extend. There's another option of offering to pay 6 months ahead.

Otherwise, you're out of luck. The NYC rental market is so tight, that there will always be someone they can rent to with better credit.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Find yourself some fellow-students you can room with. They'll be less fussy about credit - especially if you pay them a chunk up front.

There may not be "student housing" in the sense of a dorm, but I'll get that there's some kind of school bulletin board, either in person or online, and I suspect you'll be able to find people needing a roommate.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 AM

69 posts, read 93,781 times
Sublet. There are a ton of places willing to do it with no credit check required. The only downside is that it can be difficult finding a decent long-term sublet. My advice is to find a place quick and cheap for a couple months and then spend that time looking for a good long-term sublet while you get your credit fixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City