Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times

Advertisements

it became that way over time due to neglect of the area and the people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It will all become very clear to you in next couple of months as the temperature rises and the streets come to life. Get back to us after the first stretch of 80 to 90 degree weather,especially when we get a hot Friday and Saturday night, if you still have any questions.
LOL... This ^^

I have a business that requires me to travel up to that area once or twice a week. It's as if the people from that area never go home. It could be a torrential downpour of rain and you'll see 4-5 guys huddled under an awning of a store or in the entrance to a building. Never mind the children's bday parties that they throw on the sidewalks of these buildings with tables of food and house speakers outside. Or the neighborhood mechanic who works on cars while they're double parked!

You couldn't give me an apt in certain areas of Washington Heights.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:47 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It will all become very clear to you in next couple of months as the temperature rises and the streets come to life. Get back to us after the first stretch of 80 to 90 degree weather,especially when we get a hot Friday and Saturday night, if you still have any questions.
So true. I live for half the year in those ear protectors they wear on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, doubled up with regular foam earplugs.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Either the OP feels silly for his choice of neighborhoods to find an apartment OR he was a troll. He's gotten lots of feed back and no follow up response.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM

162 posts, read 181,249 times
Nice summary NYC87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC87 View Post
The business in the area are mostly Latino (many Dominican bodegas and Mexican restaurants)
That hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant @ Broadway/Ft. Washington between McD's and Dunkin' is amazing. If you don't speak English, just say "Tres tacos al pastor." There's dinner.

We live at 158th between Broadway and the river. On warm weekends, it's cool to see the steady stream of people walking down the hill to the park, carrying chairs and coolers and whatever additional hang-out gear they need. The city recently gave that entire stretch of park a face-lift. It gets packed on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Either the OP feels silly for his choice of neighborhoods to find an apartment OR he was a troll. He's gotten lots of feed back and no follow up response.
I'm starting to lean more toward troll.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 35,160 times
I'm on 161 between Amsterdam and Broadway and I think its a great block with a lot of charm. I moved to the block with my family two years ago and we've been very happy here. It does get noisy in the Summer on Friday and Saturday night, but most of the time its much quieter than the apartment we had on the Upper West Side. I think most of the other comments are from people who might pass through- but I live on this block and it's one of the best in Washington Heights (in my biased humble opinion). It's a little bleak without the trees being out, but in the summer it reminds me of a throwback neighborhood with everyone outside. Its consists mainly of townhouses that are privately owned. The block has a kind sentinel, the lovely, elderly man Mr. Clark, who can be heard throughout the day urging passerbys to "Take it slow and easy" or the his famous "hello beautiful!" The final townhouse that had hdfc tenants has been emptied and now the south side of the street is mainly full floor rentals. The north side are primarily private homes with 1 or 2 rental units. The block has got a family vibe and all the neighbors know each other and say hello (Scott, David, Steven, Matthew, Sara Margaret, Melanie, George, Happy, Vinnie, Steve, Perry, Stan, Trisha, etc...) The deli on Broadway is great and there is easy access on Amsterdam to the c train. Amsterdam looks awful (but not dangerous), but push through to the Jumel Mansion and you're at one of the most unique parks in NYC. Its obviously not the Upper West Side- and those who don't live here might see it as an ugly, sparse block and miss its quiet charm, but it is welcoming. Feel free to introduce yourself to your neighbors and Mr Clark. When I moved in he gave me a bag of uncooked chicken parts he pulled out of his freezer. Those who have been on the block for more than two decades have the privilege of calling Mr. Clark by his first name, Charles... I'm looking forward to that day too.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWaHi View Post
I'm on 161 between Amsterdam and Broadway and I think its a great block with a lot of charm. I moved to the block with my family two years ago and we've been very happy here. It does get noisy in the Summer on Friday and Saturday night, but most of the time its much quieter than the apartment we had on the Upper West Side. I think most of the other comments are from people who might pass through- but I live on this block and it's one of the best in Washington Heights (in my biased humble opinion). It's a little bleak without the trees being out, but in the summer it reminds me of a throwback neighborhood with everyone outside. Its consists mainly of townhouses that are privately owned. The block has a kind sentinel, the lovely, elderly man Mr. Clark, who can be heard throughout the day urging passerbys to "Take it slow and easy" or the his famous "hello beautiful!" The final townhouse that had hdfc tenants has been emptied and now the south side of the street is mainly full floor rentals. The north side are primarily private homes with 1 or 2 rental units. The block has got a family vibe and all the neighbors know each other and say hello (Scott, David, Steven, Matthew, Sara Margaret, Melanie, George, Happy, Vinnie, Steve, Perry, Stan, Trisha, etc...) The deli on Broadway is great and there is easy access on Amsterdam to the c train. Amsterdam looks awful (but not dangerous), but push through to the Jumel Mansion and you're at one of the most unique parks in NYC. Its obviously not the Upper West Side- and those who don't live here might see it as an ugly, sparse block and miss its quiet charm, but it is welcoming. Feel free to introduce yourself to your neighbors and Mr Clark. When I moved in he gave me a bag of uncooked chicken parts he pulled out of his freezer. Those who have been on the block for more than two decades have the privilege of calling Mr. Clark by his first name, Charles... I'm looking forward to that day too.
Definitely made up those names... We're not talking about the names in your town in davenport Iowa... They were asking about Washington Heights... Now if you said neighbors like (Ariel, Alfredo, Hector, lizneida, anayalin, Juanita, etc.) then I'd believe you...

Old 04-16-2015, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 35,160 times
Times are a changing, no need to draw stereotypes... Just ask Mr. Clark, who is always outside of his house at 558 W 161st Street... He knows where to find us all. I'm sure there are Ariels and Hectors, I just haven't met them yet.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWaHi View Post
Times are a changing, no need to draw stereotypes... Just ask Mr. Clark, who is always outside of his house at 558 W 161st Street... He knows where to find us all. I'm sure there are Ariels and Hectors, I just haven't met them yet.
That's why I responded. You're post struck me as someone who had one clear motive. The lack of sincerity was very evident. (let's highlight all the new non Hispanic names in a clear effort to draw attention to the area)...

I could never understand why people would move into an area where they can't stand the population hoping to attract a new population to move in. For that just move into an area where there's more people like yourself... Anyway that's just my opinion...

Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
My response is going to be 2 fold, first negative and then positive.

Low quality of life according to who, people have lived happily in this neighborhood for 20-60yrs without a complaint. This my problem i have with so many "gentrifiers-urban pioneers". You move to an area because its cheap and spacious, then because you dont have a cafe every few blocks you think it makes the area terrible and hope for more gentrifiers to come around or take it upon yourself to open up a cafe. Boom a few yrs go by more and more gentrifiers come around cause of price and space and more small cafes, "local" bars with only a certain of music opens up. 5-10yrs later YOU ARE PRICED out of the things you created lol. Off you go to the next area.

All those people who lived their all their lives for 20+yrs now are forced to move out one way or another cause of some people who barely can last 5yrs but wanted the area to change.

On the plus side the area does get safer and being a real estate agent it does help the income with increase pricing. Im latino born and raised in the projects with other latinos and blacks and i dont have a problem saying theres a reason "we" get a bad reputation and i cant stand ghetto people ever since i changed my life around 14yrs ago (im in my mid 30's). However its the non ghetto working class people, the older people, the ones who are surrounded by ghetto family-friends but dont act and distance themselves away from those kind that i feel sorry for when it comes to making a "quality of life better" for an area.

RANT OVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City