Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM

515 posts, read 875,551 times

Advertisements

NYC's Infrastructure is crumbling - we all know that. I'd like to piggyback on bluedog2's post: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nto-major.html and ask - What new infrastructure proposals would you support in NYC? What new infrastructure projects make sense?

Here are my thoughts:
-Connect Queens and BK better via subway. Either Jackson Hts/Roosevelt Ave to Broadway Junction or Forest Hills/71 ave to Broadway Junction.
-Connect the 1 or 9 train with the SI Railroad. (I think this one is impossible and super expensive but it would be cool) Open/renew the North Shore railroad line on Staten Island. Let cars go on the SI Ferry again!
-Or just fix/renew/improve EVERYTHING!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
NYC's Infrastructure is crumbling - we all know that. I'd like to piggyback on bluedog2's post: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nto-major.html and ask - What new infrastructure proposals would you support in NYC? What new infrastructure projects make sense?

Here are my thoughts:
-Connect Queens and BK better via subway. Either Jackson Hts/Roosevelt Ave to Broadway Junction or Forest Hills/71 ave to Broadway Junction.
-Connect the 1 or 9 train with the SI Railroad. (I think this one is impossible and super expensive but it would be cool) Open/renew the North Shore railroad line on Staten Island. Let cars go on the SI Ferry again!
-Or just fix/renew/improve EVERYTHING!!!
LGA needs to be overhauled, Penn Station needs to be overhauled, the bus terminals need to be updated and thats that. I forgot NYC needs high speed rail, GCT and JFK are ok for now.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Connect Queens and BK better via subway. Either Jackson Hts/Roosevelt Ave to Broadway Junction or Forest Hills/71 ave to Broadway Junction.
We already have 5 subway lines connecting Brooklyn and Queens. The G, M, L, J/Z and A.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Have there been any substantial infrastructure projects in the last decade? How many billions of dollars was Fulton street station? And is that really innovative or improving anyone's life?

IMO, NYC needs a very substantial infrastructure overhaul. Not new bathrooms in penn station. I mean a total revamp of the subway system where it is not hitting record levels of capacity, with third world conditions. It should not take two hours to get from lower manhattan to The airports, with public transportation nearly impossible. Our transit hubs should not be homeless shelters. It's my understanding the bridges need serious work, though I know little about this. The roadways seem like an absolute disaster across the city and surrounding areas.

We are talking about more than fifty billion dollars (using the mta capital gap). There is not budget for that. Any fare raises will go to pay bloated and increasing public sector wage and pension benefits. Hell, we can't pay for countdown clocks. We can't pay to complete a 30 block subway line decade(s) in the making. So an overhaul? Not likely.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Have there been any substantial infrastructure projects in the last decade? How many billions of dollars was Fulton street station? And is that really innovative or improving anyone's life?

IMO, NYC needs a very substantial infrastructure overhaul. Not new bathrooms in penn station. I mean a total revamp of the subway system where it is not hitting record levels of capacity, with third world conditions. It should not take two hours to get from lower manhattan to The airports, with public transportation nearly impossible. Our transit hubs should not be homeless shelters. It's my understanding the bridges need serious work, though I know little about this. The roadways seem like an absolute disaster across the city and surrounding areas.

We are talking about more than fifty billion dollars (using the mta capital gap). There is not budget for that. Any fare raises will go to pay bloated and increasing public sector wage and pension benefits. Hell, we can't pay for countdown clocks. We can't pay to complete a 30 block subway line decade(s) in the making. So an overhaul? Not likely.
I agree. Port Authority and the MTA will need tens of billions of dollars from Federal grants to overhaul most of NYC transpiration infrastructure. Don't get me wrong, while NYC is building condos that cost millions and other growth from the private sector, and increased tax revenue is going into cities coffers from wealthy folks. Yet NYC infrastructure remains a shadow of its former self.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 PM

515 posts, read 875,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
We already have 5 subway lines connecting Brooklyn and Queens. The G, M, L, J/Z and A.
You know what I mean...a connect that fills that empty space in northern bk, central queens

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
You know what I mean...a connect that fills that empty space in northern bk, central queens

A belt light rail that connects the R in bayridge with Coney island lines with 2/5 lines in eny then intersect with a/4/6 lines and then exten into qns. To connect with e/f lines and then go further up to meet 7 in flushing before deadending in bayside/little neck.

A tunnel or bridge track paralle to whitestone bridge could be used to link the 7 in flushing with the 2/5/6 in Morris park. In this way you have a much more complete commute netway that bypasses the Manhattan hub. Once again, the city leadership team fails to recognize the fact that centralizing everything on Manhattan is the root of many of the growing problems NYC is facing today as the population explodes. They need to take actions soon to make every Boro accessible and livable and attractive instead of being Manhattan centered in every walk of life.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post

Agreed, countdown clocks are coming across the system though. They're already on the 1-6, L, & soon to be 7. Soon

Old 04-01-2015, 07:33 AM

162 posts, read 181,313 times
I wrote an article related to NYC infrastructure, focusing on crumbling buildings and scaffolding. Some of the numbers are staggering.

Of course, one of the reasons building owners don't repair their buildings is the cost. To buy time before they have to do any actual work, they put up scaffolding.

The scaffolding you walk under is called a sidewalk shed. The initial cost of building a shed is $85 per linear foot. With tax, it’s around $93. With the average cost of lighting, it’s $100.

The shed currently in front of our apartment building is 350 feet long. Estimated total for that: $35,000. And the monthly rental is 5% of the total construction cost, kicking in three months after the shed is built. That’s $1,750 per month. So to have that shed up for a year would cost close to $51,000.

That number doesn't include the initial permits, the permit extensions and the constant engineer/architect inspections. Don’t forget the fines, which can run into the thousands of dollars. The owner needs to keep a daily log of the shed’s condition and have it on site at all times. No log? That’s a fine. No visible permits? Another fine. No big sign on the shed showing information about the main construction company? Yet another fine.

Anyone that lives in NYC knows that sheds can be standing for years. They obstruct apartment views, business signs and the overall aesthetic of the area. One shed has reportedly been up for two decades.

There are currently about 3,000 scaffolds and 6,000 sidewalk sheds across the five boroughs. According to the Department of Buildings, the sheds cover about one million feet of city sidewalks, which translates to an astounding 190 miles.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
I really don't think that there is any demand at all for subway service between Jackson Heights/ Forest Hills and East New York/South Queens. JFK is accessible from Jamaica by Airtrain, so thats not a factor.

There's definitely a lack of subway access north of Brooklyn/Queens border, but I'm not too sure there's a huge demand for it. There are buses that connect to Queens Blvd, or Middle Village on the M, and those areas aren't that densely populated.

A Brooklyn-Queens link that I feel would be very useful, however, is another highway to alleviate the perpetual bottle-necking on the BQE. Perhaps one that disallows trucks, and has more than 2 lanes open at a time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City