Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
One building I was talking to the building manager and she said they typically use a company to rent out apartments but she could speak to the board on my behalf. Was a co-op, which also had some rentals. I have a nice personality what can I say
I totally understand that yet its still not the situation im actually talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
there is ONE guy who consistently posts fake ads for all parts of ny. ALL of his ads end in a line akin to "contact me for a tour" or such. he shows googled images at bargain basement prices for top neighborhoods. outside of him (80% or so of the ads are his actually), there are 20% that are legitimate. the ones that charge $4000 a month for a studio at fidi are real of course but come on, who is really gonna pay that? that's a mortgage on a home and then some

Old 04-07-2015, 05:29 PM

282 posts, read 350,494 times
streeteasy.com

Old 04-07-2015, 11:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I totally understand that yet its still not the situation im actually talking about.
Sure it is. They have a building broker and let my by pass the step. When I moved out the used that broker to find a new tenant.

I understand your a broker but as someone who has lived in 20 apartments and helped numerous friends find places, I know a bit how the game is played. I also have a friend who is a broker and makes 6 figures. I picked up some info from her along the way as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Sure it is. They have a building broker and let my by pass the step. When I moved out the used that broker to find a new tenant.

I understand your a broker but as someone who has lived in 20 apartments and helped numerous friends find places, I know a bit how the game is played. I also have a friend who is a broker and makes 6 figures. I picked up some info from her along the way as well.
A building broker and an exclusive broker to only one particular apt in that same building are a bit different. Damn you certainly move alot lol, whats wrong with you or the places you keep moving to. Cant your 6 figured friend help you find an awesome place.

If you're 60 and older, i can sorta understand so please excuse me.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
I got 3 times as many leads from Craig's than my realtor, however the Craig's crowd seems flakish in terms of signing a lease.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
NO there are not. Craigslist has officially gone down the ****ter. I have used them for years to find room sublets (I'm a student who moves around a lot and not interested in the hassle of a lease) - but Craiglist is officially DONE.

Landlords have realized that most people in this city either don't qualify for apartments because of their intensely high standards, so the response has been to pose as someone looking for a roommate, or become a "roommate matchmaker" and chop up their properties into dorm-style and stuff strangers into tiny individual rooms.

I've been looking for nearly a month and even with a good eye for the fake versus genuine listings, 7/10 has been broker BS. The biggest joke in all this is that you are now seeing many sublet rooms asking for guarantor and/or credit report score above 720. It makes me sick - if we could all pass that test we'd just get a friggin apartment, right?! I'm done with Craigslist for good.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:33 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post
There are some real postings, but the brokers have really made a mess of the site posting in the FREE section. So it's hard to find a real owner posting.
Then there is the classic bait and switch.

I have posted a few of my apartments for rent on Craigslist and EVERY time they get flagged and taken down. I am a REAL owner with NO fee apartment. I follow all the posting rules but I get flagged EVERY TIME. I think it's brokers flagging my listings to make sure people do not contact no-fee postings. It's the only thing I can think of
It could be that, or it could be people thinking your ad is too good to be true and flagging it. I have to admit I have flagged things under that assumption because when you are searching you are bombarded with so many lies and BS that when you see a good, real deal you dont even realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: