Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

^ Man, please. Everyone is suppose to have the same rights but it doesn't even work that way, and you know it.

Forget those baldheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's no one is sticking it to anyone else. Everyone competes. Some are going to be losers. That's the way life works. The natives shouldn't be given an advantage.
Clearly someone who is not a native, speaking of interested viewpoints - if we can call them that.

I would definitely side with the modest income natives on this one.

By "compete," this person actually means "has the cash." Fortunately, I am smart enough to know that "having the cash" does not make someone worthwhile, interesting, or relevant to anything meaningful in any way whatsoever.

It would stand to reason that this poster travels in far more modest circles and therefore does not have the experience to know this. This is also the case for his/her new best friend, writerdud.

It is a fact nonetheless.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I don't know how the middle class can survive.
They aren't really, many are leaving for that reason. While the ghetto folk are moved into new "affordable housing" buildings.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
NYC is making all sorts of dumb excuses to stick it to the natives and anyone else. That surely won't last forever. It's only a matter of time before most people get enough of it, then what will the city do?
I think its just the changes in work and real estate market that does not allow natives to be part of the equation these days. NYC draws too much people into this city. A simple browse through OK Cupid and see a boat load of women who say they moved to NYC from somewhere else to make it. I smh at these folks. So far I hope people are smart enough to notice that NYC is a huge con and can not improve anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's no one is sticking it to anyone else. Everyone competes. Some are going to be losers. That's the way life works. The natives shouldn't be given an advantage.

This is how capitalism works at the end. Natives do get an advantage to some extent like a rent cointrolled apartment, or going to a low cost local college. Transplants struggle in this city with 100k tuition, along with paying high rents? How can anyone get ahead rat race in this city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Clearly someone who is not a native, speaking of interested viewpoints - if we can call them that.

I would definitely side with the modest income natives on this one.

By "compete," this person actually means "has the cash." Fortunately, I am smart enough to know that "having the cash" does not make someone worthwhile, interesting, or relevant to anything meaningful in any way whatsoever.

It would stand to reason that this poster travels in far more modest circles and therefore does not have the experience to know this. This is also the case for his/her new best friend, writerdud.

It is a fact nonetheless.
I agree with this.

I think this tries its best to cater to too many folks at the same time. It tries its best to lure young educated suburban types, but yet to a certain degree ignore local talent pool. Than it tries its best to lure the rich with tax abetment condos, yet the rich don't really live here and spend money elsewhere. Than you have the poor which plenty of money is being spent on. The city has greatly ignored the middle class and again it can result in a future downfall of this city. Seriously I hope NYC implodes again someday!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:39 PM

282 posts, read 350,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I think its just the changes in work and real estate market that does not allow natives to be part of the equation these days. NYC draws too much people into this city. A simple browse through OK Cupid and see a boat load of women who say they moved to NYC from somewhere else to make it. I smh at these folks. So far I hope people are smart enough to notice that NYC is a huge con and can not improve anything.

This is how capitalism works at the end. Natives do get an advantage to some extent like a rent cointrolled apartment, or going to a low cost local college. Transplants struggle in this city with 100k tuition, along with paying high rents? How can anyone get ahead rat race in this city?

I agree with this.

I think this tries its best to cater to too many folks at the same time. It tries its best to lure young educated suburban types, but yet to a certain degree ignore local talent pool. Than it tries its best to lure the rich with tax abetment condos, yet the rich don't really live here and spend money elsewhere. Than you have the poor which plenty of money is being spent on. The city has greatly ignored the middle class and again it can result in a future downfall of this city. Seriously I hope NYC implodes again someday!
NYC doesn't have to "try" to lure the rich in, NYC is already the global capital of rich people who actually live there. The extremely priced real estate that appeals to the global-elite is just another +. NYC has the highest top 1%, the most millionaires, the most multimillionaires and the most billionaires of any city in the world. Middle-Class is still the largest block in NYC, but they just don't live the Americana idealistic "middle class lifestyle" (i.e. cheap big home, big cars) you'd find in cheap/middle-class cities like Charlotte.

NYC is what it is. If you don't like it then move. I can't believe people wish for cities in their countries to "implode", especially the most beloved and iconic city in the world that is a gem of this nation. Ridiculous.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post

NYC doesn't have to "try" to lure the rich in, NYC is already the global capital of rich people who actually live there. The extremely priced real estate that appeals to the global-elite is just another +. NYC has the highest top 1%, the most millionaires, the most multimillionaires and the most billionaires of any city in the world. Middle-Class is still the largest block in NYC, but they just don't live the Americana idealistic "middle class lifestyle" (i.e. cheap big home, big cars) you'd find in cheap/middle-class cities like Charlotte.

NYC is what it is. If you don't like it then move. I can't believe people wish for cities in their countries to "implode", especially the most beloved and iconic city in the world that is a gem of this nation. Ridiculous.
Not that I wish it implodes. I meant to say that I hope it does not implodes on itself. Don't get me wrong I love nyc, but I just hope that all persons of all class strata can equally benefit from the city and like wise city can benefit from all persons. My biggest discuss with the city is the MTA, more homeless, housing costs, Rat race and that's it. If you love NYC that is good and I'm proud of you!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-10-2015 at 10:05 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM

282 posts, read 350,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Not that I wish it implodes. I meant to say that I hope it does not implodes on itself. Don't get me wrong I love nyc, but I just hope that all persons of all class strata can equally benefit from the city and like wise city can benefit from all persons. My biggest discuss with the city is the MTA, more homeless, housing costs and that's it. If you love NYC that is good and I'm proud of you!
NYC has tons of opportunity. It's a place that has minted an outsized share of the most powerful people in our society. Which is why it has the highest billionaire birth rate in the world New York City tops billionaire birth list

And 80% NYC's super-rich are self made. Not only the rich and super-rich, but New York also has some of the highest economic mobility rates in the nation along with places like Silicon Valley. You have the world at your fingertips in NYC, being that it's a global city (like London). It's probably your fault if you remain an underclass in a city with that much opportunity.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
NYC has tons of opportunity. It's a place that has minted an outsized share of the most powerful people in our society. Which is why it has the highest billionaire birth rate in the world New York City tops billionaire birth list

And 80% NYC's super-rich are self made. Not only super-rich, but New York also has some of the highest economic mobility rates in the nation. You have the world at your fingertips in NYC, being that it's a global city (like London). It's probably your fault if you remain an underclass in a city with that much opportunity.

NYC is the capital of corporations, billionaires, and millionaires, and is a haven for highly educated elite. It's the economic capital of the world and hosts the most Fortune 500 companies.
How's dubai and Abu Dhabi and all of the other princely principalities of the UAE?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
If you're not making at least $80k after taxes in this city you are wasting your llife here...I can't imagine living on $50k salary in NYC these days...All that's getting you is a room barely bigger than a broom closet and a metrocard.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Here is how [upper] middle class New Yorkers find peace:

Married, With Roommates
New York Times
April 9, 2015
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/re...roommates.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City