U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,124,938 times

Advertisements

The MTA and police are investigating an apparent act of vandalism that caused subway delays in Brooklyn late last week.

The incident happened around 8:15 a.m. last Thursday at the Nostrand Avenue Station in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.

Authorities say it appears someone threw a piece of metal on the tracks, and when the C train struck the object, it produced sparks and flames.

Service on the C line was suspended for about an hour for the investigation.

MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg released the following statement.

"If this video really depicts what it claims, it is unconscionable that vandals would have deliberately endangered the lives of our customers and employees, as well as delayed thousands of customers during the morning rush. We will work with the NYPD to identify and capture the perpetrators responsible for this."

Police: Vandals throw metal object on Brooklyn subway tracks, delay trains | 7online.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvvliPRqZ8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:19 AM

12,102 posts, read 15,545,336 times
Dangerous and stupid act that could have caused a disaster. Hope they get caught real soon.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,830,599 times
Slap them with terrorism charges.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM

23,817 posts, read 33,282,192 times
Couldn't POSSIBLY have been an MTA workman forgetting one of his tools on the track?
Or one of the 1000 soda cans on the track shorting out the third rail?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:29 AM

5,698 posts, read 15,195,365 times
Act of God. Clear to see that. No one controls everything.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,124,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Couldn't POSSIBLY have been an MTA workman forgetting one of his tools on the track?
Or one of the 1000 soda cans on the track shorting out the third rail?
Gotta blame someone, right?

There's a group of kids on facebook called conquistadors or something similar that break onto TA property, sneak into train cabs, amongst other things. I once saw a video where they snuck onto the tracks and while a train passed they threw an object at the trucks (wheels) which made the train BIE.

There's also a vid of a kid climbing onto the tracks and throwing a pizza box directly at the third rail which blew him up. He survived the incident.

Now that this sort of stuff is surfacing in the media I'm sure the NYPD will take it more seriously.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM

9,999 posts, read 5,224,442 times
Some NY'ers can be so stupid. All this vandalism does is cost the MTA money to fix/cleanup and guess who the costs eventually gets pass back onto in the form of higher fares?

And all for what? Is your life that much better because you threw a piece metal onto the tracks?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM

1,835 posts, read 1,350,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And all for what? Is your life that much better because you threw a piece metal onto the tracks?
For the Vine man!

Search put em in a coffin on Youtube. Young people damaging property that doesn't belong to you is all the rage.

As a disclaimer I do not support this stupidity.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

974 posts, read 1,453,804 times
Slightly off topic but Does anybody know if there are intrusion detection systems at the end of platforms? I once saw a homeless guy walk right into the northbound tunnel at East Broadway. I assume he went to hang out in the garbage area beyond the platform. I questioned whether I should have notified the motorman but that may have cause a huge inconvenience. I boarded the train & worried that we would come to screeching halt between East Broadway & Delancey. Luckily we did not.

I do not know what the heck is the deal with the MTA..Do they consider these hypotheticals?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:16 PM

346 posts, read 334,244 times
Kids putting things on the tracks has been going on for years. I had a garbage dumpster thrown on tracks in front of me on the N line in the 80's. I also know of couches and washing machines and logs being put on tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: