Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

If so, what could happen in a case like mine, my next lease starts 6/1/15 and ends 5/31/16. ($10 more per month for the next lease)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 PM

91 posts, read 196,399 times
Why would you think it would end?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
I saw something and I can't recall where it was from it said rent stabilization may end on 5/15

Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM

91 posts, read 196,399 times
Every year there is drama in May/June about rent stabilization hikes and whether the program will be renewed. It will be renewed. The only real question is how much landlords will be able to raise rent.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
If so, what could happen in a case like mine, my next lease starts 6/1/15 and ends 5/31/16. ($10 more per month for the next lease)
It won't end. These are just hearings to determine rates and other things.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I sense some mixing of issues here.

On the city level, the Rent Guidelines Board sets the rent increases in June. These take effect in October.

On the state level, the entire rent regulation scheme expires every four years of so. It's about to expire in June. This has happened many times, and almost alway leads to a game of political football. In the end, the regs get renewed. However the may get modified. It would take a huge political FIBA for them to be allowed to expire permanently.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:56 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
In order to get around being called a permanent "taking" of property RS laws expire after a given period. They were originally supposed to be in effect for a few years to solve a housing "emergency", but that was back in the 1940's ...........

If new RS laws are not passed before the current laws expire no one is exactly sure what will happen. No one expects the statue to remain permanently gone so whatever is finally passed (assuming it is after a deadline) would be retroactive.

OTOH if RS laws were allowed to lapse for any length of time or even permanently then things could get interesting. As RS leases begin to expire there might not be any legal recourse to force landlords to offer renewals. Long story short the units would become deregulated. This being New York no one expects affected RS tenants and their advocates to take such things lying down, so there would be court action. Hopefully by the time cases dragged through housing court RS laws would be reinstated.

In any event this sad drama plays out each time RS laws come up for renewal. The Senate couldn't care less while the Assembly wants the laws renewed. Only question is in what form things take and which side will give up the most.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 AM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
Don't worry...it's getting renewed. Guaranteed. And if it lapse, it'll be for a short time only.

RS is a political tool used by the ruling class in NYC, the ruling class being the liberal democrats. In order to keep ruling NYC, the democrats, despite the RS law being a worthless law, would support it to get the RS voting block and retain their power.

At the end of the day, its not about RS being right or wrong with the democrats, its about which side of the argument will generate more votes. There are way more tenants than landlords with many LLs living in the suburbs outside of NYC which them ineligible to vote for NYC politicians despite having a stake in NYC by having a business in NYC, so the obvious side the democrats will support will be tenant-friendly laws such as RS. And as we all know, it's been proven over and over again by economist (liberal or conservative) that Rent Control laws don't work and never will.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 AM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
... so the obvious side the democrats will support will be tenant-friendly laws such as RS...
I agree with most of your post. However, I wouldn't characterize rent stabilization as "tenant-friendly." It is "pro SOME tenants" and "anti OTHER tenants." Market-rate tenants are hurt by these laws through restriction of supply and inability to bid higher on apartments with price controls, which are essentially off the market.

People who benefit from RS:
- rent-stabilized tenants
- market-rate landlords (who can charge higher rents due to less competition)

People who are harmed by RS:
- rent-stabilized landlords
- market-rate tenants

I pray that the rent stabilization laws will some day at least be reformed and eventually repealed. What I want is a free market in housing--i.e. complete separation of housing and state. No government intervention into the housing market.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If RS wasn't renewed from what I have read in the past it would effect about one million tenants who would be out of the street. So I doubt this will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: