Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 PM

555 posts, read 613,969 times

Advertisements

How does it work in NY? i don't often cross bridges but it seems like it would be convenient when i do.

Do they just automatically charge your bank account or CC or do you have to have some sort of balance or minimum ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 PM

813 posts, read 1,268,255 times
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/general.shtml

They are very convenient!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
yea i read that but its kind of confusing... and then they ask for a $25 "plan"?...

what if I only use tolls a few times a year?

Old 04-10-2015, 08:18 PM

911 posts, read 877,873 times
You would link it up to a credit or debit card and start with say 25.00. It would deduct tolls as you use it and replenish back to 25.00 when you get low enough to need it. There are also commuter plans which you would not need if you only use it a few times a year.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,059,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
yea i read that but its kind of confusing... and then they ask for a $25 "plan"?...

what if I only use tolls a few times a year?
I am not sure what the $25 plan is, but I have an EZPass that I rarely use (a few times per year) and the way it works is they have my credit card on file and when my account goes below a certain amount -- it might be $25, but who knows, it might be $10 or $15 (I really can't remember) then EZPass will charge my credit card another $25 so that it has enough on it to cover whatever trips I make. I don't really know if the amounts are different if you are a heavy user of it, but this is how it works for me.

If you don't want to put it on your credit card, it looks like there is a $10 pay option to get the tag and then you send checks periodically to replenish your account. To me, that sounds really cumbersome and if it came down to that option only, I would just forgo having an EZpass in the first place. That mailing-in-check method of paying sounds not easy at all.

I have had mine for a long time, and I believe I had to pay some sort of $25 deposit just to get the tag when I first opened the account. Not sure what it is now.

Edited to say -- it looks like the cost to get the initial tag if you are a credit-card customer is waived. However, if your tag gets stolen or damaged and you request a new one, then you have to pay $16 or $22 for the replacement.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I am not sure what the $25 plan is, but I have an EZPass that I rarely use (a few times per year) and the way it works is they have my credit card on file and when my account goes below a certain amount -- it might be $25, but who knows, it might be $10 or $15 (I really can't remember) then EZPass will charge my credit card another $25 so that it has enough on it to cover whatever trips I make. I don't really know if the amounts are different if you are a heavy user of it, but this is how it works for me.

If you don't want to put it on your credit card, it looks like there is a $10 pay option to get the tag and then you send checks periodically to replenish your account. To me, that sounds really cumbersome and if it came down to that option only, I would just forgo having an EZpass in the first place. That mailing-in-check method of paying sounds not easy at all.

I have had mine for a long time, and I believe I had to pay some sort of $25 deposit just to get the tag when I first opened the account. Not sure what it is now.

Edited to say -- it looks like the cost to get the initial tag if you are a credit-card customer is waived. However, if your tag gets stolen or damaged and you request a new one, then you have to pay $16 or $22 for the replacement.
ahh ok, i just don't want the hassle of having to manage it. so basically i can set it to auto-pilot with my credit card?

kind of a weird way of doing it... they should just charge what you use, not $25 payments.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:47 PM

282 posts, read 349,312 times
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/general.shtml

Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,059,538 times
Quote:
ahh ok, i just don't want the hassle of having to manage it. so basically i can set it to auto-pilot with my credit card?

kind of a weird way of doing it... they should just charge what you use, not $25 payments.
I guess they want to make sure they have the money first before you go through the toll, in case you go through the toll and then cancel your card? I'm not sure, but I guess they are just guaranteeing that they get paid. And since they are calling the shots, then they get to do what they want to do.

Also, could be logistically too difficult for them to be charging your credit card every time you use the Pass. Some people use them multiple times per day. I kind of understand why they do it that way.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 PM

31,741 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Quote:
How does it work in NY? i don't often cross bridges but it seems like it would be convenient when i do.

Do they just automatically charge your bank account or CC or do you have to have some sort of balance or minimum ?
If you do not own a vehicle and or rent when you leave town EZ-Pass on the Go is what you want.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/onthego.shtml

After purchase you follow the directions for activation and then use it when necessary. There are a few ways to fund but it mostly comes down to automatic, going online or using a new type of "debit" card that can be purchased at select locations. The latter works much like prepaid telephone cards. That is they are sold in denominations and after purchase follow instructions to add the balance to your EZ-Pass account.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,644,820 times
The threshold of when it replenishes itself is based on usage. Usually if one is a light user when it goes below $10 it auto replenishes itself from your CC. If you are lets say a VZ user then the replenishment level will be higher and also the charges to your CC may go up. If you cancel the CC, you will get a fine in the mail as if you didn't have a EZPass. If your CC is within 90 days of expiration, they will send you emails/letters advising you to update your CC monthly until it expires or you update your profile. So if you are on the $25 plan, then that is the lowest they will deduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: