Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ballet mom View Post
Thank you for explaining the studio/brownstone split arrangement that might be a possibility. I did mistakenly think you were referring to the ubiquitous "we're looking for a fourth roommate for our apartment" ads. I will call the school and see if they have any housing referrals. As it seems, my low budget may be leading me to South New Jersey! I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks!
is it possible for you visit for a week before you move with your 2 babies. You really need to map out and travel to the Dance school from some of the places you are looking at. Not just the distance but the fares. South Jersey is far its near Philadelphia. What you save in rent, you will eat up in fares, and time. Living in NYC is entirely different from where you are coming from.

No I wouldn't recommend a roommate situation like that to a mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM

16 posts, read 15,236 times
You are absolutely right. I too was wondering if I shouldn't just fly out to NYC alone to apartment search in advance. It's an extra $400 ticket, but it may be worth it to come and see how realistic and how safe some of these apartments/ neighborhoods are. Also, I could (like you're saying) just come a few days earlier so that I don't have to buy a separate round trip ticket. That's probably my best bet so that I can check out the area for myself.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
You would suggest In wood? I found an apartment on Henshaw and Riverside Dr, half a block from fort tryon park and inwood hill park. But from the research I've done, it seems like Inwood is kind of like the boondocks? So far out of the city, it doesn't feel like you're in NYC anymore? It's also a 25 minute commute to 152nd and Amsterdam which seems a little long, but I'd be willing to do the longer commute if the Inwood area would be a better place to live than areas in Harlem. Maybe I should research 2 br prices to see if we can find something really cheap which would justify the longer commute.
The better areas in Harlem are expensive.
I don't think Inwood is too far, and I do think it is potentially good for children.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM

69 posts, read 93,687 times
Quote:
You would suggest In wood? I found an apartment on Henshaw and Riverside Dr, half a block from fort tryon park and inwood hill park. But from the research I've done, it seems like Inwood is kind of like the boondocks? So far out of the city, it doesn't feel like you're in NYC anymore? It's also a 25 minute commute to 152nd and Amsterdam which seems a little long, but I'd be willing to do the longer commute if the Inwood area would be a better place to live than areas in Harlem. Maybe I should research 2 br prices to see if we can find something really cheap which would justify the longer commute.
I actually work downtown. I work at various sites but never any further north than 28th. Having the 1 and A right there is very convenient and makes the commute bearable. Catch an A train at the right time and you'll be at 125 in less than 20 minutes.

You have to remember that in NYC, you don't necessarily get what you pay for, at least not in the respect implants like you and I are used to. It's all about location and very little else. I've lived in Hamilton Heights and while it is SUPER convenient having the ABCD right there and the 1 close by, it's certainly doesn't do a family like yours justice.

If you were single, I'd tell you to you could move anywhere you want so long as you play it safe at night in the worse off areas. But you have kids. You owe it to them to scope out a decent area they can actually be kids in. Inwood is far and away the most accessible and family-friendly location for the money. You're going to have to commute more, but that's a sacrifice you should make given your budget and your kids.

You'll find plenty of great places. Make sure you do invest in that separate trip out there to scope a place out. Ask to see the place as far into the evening as they'll let you. That's when you get a real taste of what your potential neighbors act like. Some buildings are great and have respectful, quiet tenants. Others, not so much. But that goes for pretty much everywhere in NYC.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post

If you were single, I'd tell you to you could move anywhere you want so long as you play it safe at night in the worse off areas. But you have kids. You owe it to them to scope out a decent area they can actually be kids in. Inwood is far and away the most accessible and family-friendly location for the money. You're going to have to commute more, but that's a sacrifice you should make given your budget and your kids.
I agree, and I do not think the commute will be so terrible.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post
I actually work downtown. I work at various sites but never any further north than 28th. Having the 1 and A right there is very convenient and makes the commute bearable. Catch an A train at the right time and you'll be at 125 in less than 20 minutes.

You have to remember that in NYC, you don't necessarily get what you pay for, at least not in the respect implants like you and I are used to. It's all about location and very little else. I've lived in Hamilton Heights and while it is SUPER convenient having the ABCD right there and the 1 close by, it's certainly doesn't do a family like yours justice.

You'll find plenty of great places. Make sure you do invest in that separate trip out there to scope a place out. Ask to see the place as far into the evening as they'll let you. That's when you get a real taste of what your potential neighbors act like. Some buildings are great and have respectful, quiet tenants. Others, not so much. But that goes for pretty much everywhere in NYC.
This is excellent advice. IMHO Inwood is not far away just a few stops on the #1 train or the A train. Washington Heights is sandwiched in between the two neighborhoods, you may find something affordable there as well. Don't worry about the stay west of Broadway advice. For Inwwod or Washington Heights. It's not really anymore dangerous east of Broadway than most north Manhattan neighborhoods. It's mostly Dominican, it can get loud in the summer. Dominicans are family orientated and like to celebrate everything. You may hear a lot of loud music on weekends. You speak Spanish so it will be easy for you to communicate with the elders. Everyone will respect that.

Looking forward to seeing you dance at the annual Dance Theater of a Harlem block party performances.

Don't forget to contact them ASAP concerning housing referrels you can't let any more time go by with that. Also contact some realtors that specialize in Upper ManhAttan there are summer sublets in HDFC Coops. Those are coops with limited equity and income restrictions. You won't have to meet these restrictions for subletting but the rents will be much cheaper and they are not allowed to charge more than 10% above the regular apt rent.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The better areas in Harlem are expensive.
I don't think Inwood is too far, and I do think it is potentially good for children.
Excellent advice also. See if you can get your budget up to $2000 a month. It will be much easier to get something. There is usually about 40 people trying to get one apt in upper Manhattan. You can't negotiate when the rent is less than $2500 that's considered cheap. $1500 is considered impossible ,nthat is what they were a decade ago. You have children so you don't need t o be mislead and unprepared.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
I think you need to up your budget, you really need a 2 bedroom for 4 people, which will be 5 when your husband comes. Not many landlord will rent a studio or even 1 bedroom to 4-5 people. Your poor neighbors!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
I know you specifically asked about Harlem but what about a decent area of the Bronx? At your budget, that might be a better option. The commute wouldn't be bad to Harlem and $1500 can for sure get you a very large one bedroom or a junior 4.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 15,236 times
I have also considered the Bronx, I'm just not sure what areas are nice. It appears to be relatively close to the Harlem area, do you recommend checking any particular area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City