Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ballet mom View Post
Hi! I'm going to be studying professional dance in Harlem this summer and may be relocating permanently. I have a 3 yr old and 18 month old, and am unsure about what neighborhood might be the most family friendly. Safety is important, parks/playground availability is very important.I'm African American and love living around African Americans. I speak Spanish and French and can blend in with many afro-latino and Caribbean cultures, so I'm not as concerned about race as I am about whether my babies will have a safe place to play. I narrowed the area down to Riverbank State park area and st. Nicholas park area--but apparently some guys got shot by the playground at this park? I'll be commuting daily to 152nd and Amsterdam (Sugar Hill area?), and my budget is $1500. I considered Park Slope / Clinton Hill areas (free French preschools) but the commute to Harlem would be an hour! Any advice on any great areas of Harlem /NYC to live as a woman alone with two babies (my husband will be staying in Los Angeles until he gets a job transfer here) will be greatly appreciated!
Things have changed a ton in NYC, but I'd still be careful to use "Harlem" and "Safe" in the same post.

Park Slope, is nice, family friendly and safe but I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a basement studio for $1,500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
you love living around african americans

interesting
I find this interesting too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
you love living around african americans

interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
She is AA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Things have changed a ton in NYC, but I'd still be careful to use "Harlem" and "Safe" in the same post.

Park Slope, is nice, family friendly and safe but I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a basement studio for $1,500.

I find this interesting too.
Why do you find it interesting that an African American woman who can speak French and Spanish and states that she can blend in with many afro latino and Carribean cultures wants to live near her peoples?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
It's not mostly African American, but...I wanted to mention Riverdale, Bronx.
It's a relatively quick commute to Harlem, especially if you live near a subway.
Prices are surprisingly low. I'm quite sure you could find an apartment of at least one bedroom for $1500, maybe less.
Your apartment may even have amenities like a balcony, a gym, even a pool!
There are lots of nice parks in Riverdale, and lots of families, very family-friendly neighborhood.
AND it's extremely safe, low-crime.
Maybe it's worth a look?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do you find it interesting that an African American woman who can speak French and Spanish and states that she can blend in with many afro latino and Carribean cultures wants to live near her peoples?
To each his own is my motto.
But if a white man said exactly the same thing, I think attitudes toward that person would be different. However when a black person says it, it's completly innocuous.
That's what's interesting....

Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
Can't help posting, but I misread the subject as "Best area to live in Harlem with 2 cabbies?"

Old 05-30-2015, 06:53 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Also, I wish you guys would stop acting like black and white relations are based on an even plane.
When it comes to issues of civil rights or economic discrimination, No. When it comes to appreciating one's culture or heritage, Yes. "White People" as a whole didn't institute slavery or the current structural inequities that exist, the elites did. Europeans have every right to be "French/English/Italian/whatever" as anyone can be what they are.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 15,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Inwood is more family friendly. It's quieter, is more green space, some of the most beautiful parks in the city. Try to research and find real estate companies that service that area, and make some calls. I think the rents that are being quoted on this thread are not accurate. Many people post ads to attract interest that are misleading. I really think your $1500 budget is too low for upper Manhattan. However Upper Manhattan is exactly where you should live.

When I advised you to reach out to the dance community and maybe get a room in a brownstone, I didn't realize that you wouldn't quite understand what I mean. In Hamilton Heights where your dance school is located there are people in and outside of the arts that own brownstones, that are divided into studio spaces of one or two, sometimes 3 small rooms and small fully functioning kitchen (stove with oven and refrigerator). There is usually one or two locked doors to this space, sometimes you have to share a bath with someone or many times you don't. There are some seniors that rent out this type of space and the person would only have to share when a relative visited from out of town. Otherwise it is their bathroom to themselves. No one else was on the floor with the tenant. Very clean and quiet, and safe spaces. They also understand how your budget maybe low and usually are willing to work with someone in the arts.

Sometimes former dancers, actors, etc. (there are quite a few in HH) list these spaces with the school, or even whole apts. I'm suggesting that you call the Dance school and find out if they have any housing referrals. Sometimes that list with realtors. You can easily walk to the dance school, St Nicholas Park and Riverbank Park. Look up Riverbank Park your children will love that park

If that type of living, doesn't suit you Inwood is better for finding a nice apt than Hamilton Heights for children. HH is expensive and most people share with roommates that have your budget. But I can't say your budget is better for Inwood. HH, and Inwood are about the same price wise, but your space will be better up there.

Best wishes and keep us posted on how things worked out for you.
Hello all,

I wanted to let you all know how it all turned out! And thank you for all of your help, I appreciate it more than you know. I moved to Harlem.

I used Airbnb to rent an apartment on 145th and St. Nicholas (near the fish restaurant) for $200/night for two weeks when I first moved to NYC, two weeks before my dance summer intensive program began. During that time, I became familiarized with the neighborhoods, and, unbelievably, I was able to find a 1 bedroom apartment on Striver's Row (138th St. between FDB and ACP) for $1500. It was a beautiful brownstone apartment with large windows facing away from the street. It was quiet and safe and we were truly fortunate to have found such a hidden gem. And within our budget too! The Airbnb unit cost me $2,800, the apartment's security deposit cost me $1,500, the realtor's fee cost me $1,500, and the first month's rent cost me $1,500. For a grand total of $7,300 cash for my first month in NYC.

I signed a year lease, and I couldn't have made a better choice than Harlem, Striver's Row. It was a very family friendly street, and we made so many friends. My oldest daughter got accepted into Harlem Gems elementary school which was excellent, free childcare for us, and I got a job (after the summer intensive) at the Bronx Family courthouse, 3 stops away on the train. For the summer intensive, it was just a 10 minute bus ride away--and if I was running late or had missed the bus, I could even walk there in 15-20 minutes. It was the best time of my life.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
Congrats NYC Mom!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:12 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
This is hilarious--I was going to recommend that general area to you when I was reading the start of this thread, thinking it was new. I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Thanks for the update! Glad as well that it all worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City