Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Those black guys are famous and have TONS of money, so the rules don't apply. Outside of famous, rich black guys, the black guys I've met that have trophy type white women may not be famous, but they most certainly are well established. I think the point, and I'm sure others in this thread have already made it, is that your social economic status and social circles you navigate are going to largely dictate whom you'll date/marry-even when you remove race from the equation. If you're not already part of the circles where you will find these types of women, it's going to be hard for you to break in. Regular black dude with a blue collar job, probably has a poor shot at dating or marrying a blond WASP. Harvard educated black lawyer or a black professional sports player has a much better shot.
I don't know any BM that have the type the OP is looking for that aren't established. I've never seen it before. Like I mentioned earlier, I've known plenty who have someone we all find attractive, or some unconventional or out of the way but the conservative ideal the OP has, I've never seen it happen.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Those black guys are famous and have TONS of money, so the rules don't apply. Outside of famous, rich black guys, the black guys I've met that have trophy type white women may not be famous, but they most certainly are well established. I think the point, and I'm sure others in this thread have already made it, is that your social economic status and social circles you navigate are going to largely dictate whom you'll date/marry-even when you remove race from the equation. If you're not already part of the circles where you will find these types of women, it's going to be hard for you to break in. Regular black dude with a blue collar job, probably has a poor shot at dating or marrying a blond WASP. Harvard educated black lawyer or a black professional sports player has a much better shot.
The OP also has a fixation on race when it is really more of a socioeconomic, extracultural issue. Those arrangements rarely work unless one has a geniune curiosity about other cultures, even within one's own race. I've seen extracultural situations between people of the same race that failed miserably. Not to say that a WASP would not fit the bill, or that they're just that biased but to be completely honest they have no reason to. Particularly when they're inside of the glass house and everyone else is looking inside wanting to be them, or be next to them.

The OP really has to look at it in the context of what he can offer the WASP. Money is not an issue with them, so how does he differentiate himself from the other, working class, knowledge working BM. The men we mentioned earlier were talented in one way or the other. What does the OP offer that can pique the WASP interest, and then how does he transition that into something romantic.

I had a relative that was able to do that successfully. Granted, the WASP was an alcoholic, but she did pay for his education and he went on to do as well as her, if not better. They're no longer together though. That situation is rare but it does exist.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Oj Simpson.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM

40 posts, read 87,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
One huge downside for white women dating black men, one they will never admit to, and the main reason a lot of them won't even when they want to:

Career damage.

If you don't think that the white men that such a woman works with(and probably has to report to) WON'T think of her as "damaged goods" because she dates black men, think again. they will. they do. Women already have a "glass ceiling" to deal with. Imagine a blonde, attractive, white female lawyer at a big law firm. Most places are owned by white men, many/most of whom think in terms of, uh, "traditional values".

To them it means, whites only. Interracial dating? mixed kids? LOL.

She'll not be making partner anytime soon.

I cater-waiter/bartend as a side-hustle..and I recently worked an event for a USC sorority. We had to sit there, after the lunch was done, and watch their "highlight reel" of all the stuff these sorority sisters did over their 4 years at USC(this was a graduation function). It was long. LOOOONG.

Not a black man or woman to be found anywhere on it. a couple of "token" latinas and asians. that's it. No blacks in the room(other than some of our staff). None in the sorority. Now, that doesn't mean every sorority is like that..but understand that these are the sorts of pools of people that big law/entertainment/financial firms pull from. same with fraternities. think of the mindset. So, that blonde white girl, who may love bruthas/hip-hop all she wants,and not have a racist bone in her body, will find herself with a fairly large career problem when one of the firm's "bigwigs' sees her hangin' with da homies.

Sad and ****ed up.

'murica
What if that kind of white woman dates a latino or asian? I mean asians and indians in the USA are affluent and well off for the most part.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Let me clarify again guys, I didn't mean black guys, I was just wondering about Asians, Arabs, and Indians in NYC dating white women. Not WASPy white women but just white women that actually look white (that excludes the ones with dark hair, dark eyes, and dark skin) and I specified blondes and redheads. As I said, I used the word loosely, I didn't mean to say rich white girl from old money family.

I guess I will ask the question this thread failed to answer and kept going off on irrelevant political topics about.

How tough of a time would a Harold and Kumar type of guy (Asian male or exotic looking male assimilated into American culture) who wants to date white women in NYC have? Assuming he has a decent salary and is in good shape.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsogradbrad View Post
Let me clarify again guys, I didn't mean black guys, I was just wondering about Asians, Arabs, and Indians in NYC dating white women. Not WASPy white women but just white women that actually look white (that excludes the ones with dark hair, dark eyes, and dark skin) and I specified blondes and redheads. As I said, I used the word loosely, I didn't mean to say rich white girl from old money family.

I guess I will ask the question this thread failed to answer and kept going off on irrelevant political topics about.

How tough of a time would a Harold and Kumar type of guy (Asian male or exotic looking male assimilated into American culture) who wants to date white women in NYC have? Assuming he has a decent salary and is in good shape.
Those were my type of guys for awhile right before I met my husband. Not that I didn't date other guys prior to that type. It was just what I was attracted to at that time in my life. Plus if you can make her smile and laugh I think you're going to have a lot of success with the women that are your type.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:

It really depends. Here in NYC it is tough, but you also have to be lucky, be at the right place and at the right time, or she has to find you maybe interesting to some aspect. Some weeks ago I was at a comedy thing near Union Square. The chick that was performing was corny and I told her a joke and the audience laughed at her. Any how after the show we started talking and she ask if I was single? I said yeah, she offered me to come with her to another comedy jam session. We had a drink and everything and she admitted she found me interesting. Again this is all happened in an instant and she is a suburban white transplant. I had to leave because I had work in the morning and could not stay. I had a couple of white women here and there, and nothing to really brag about and yes I'm an exotic looking guy. I had met another white woman who really liked me but things went down hill because I'm not into 5k runs and stuff even though I like to workout, then again she was not pretty anyway.

But yes if she finds you interesting and she can over look your race, over look your income, over look your education, your job title and like you for who you are then yes a guy like you can have a shot.

Last about Union Square? This area has plenty of single white women of your choosing, from 40 something who live with cat and dogs who think they are in their 20s, to New School and NYU females who just came into the city and everything else in-between.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:50 PM

Bronx, sometimes what I try to see or notice in an area is what is going on. For example, when I was out in CA I did see some (though not many) of the blonde heather graham lookalikes out with exotic looking men, this let me know that race was not that major of an issue compared to other areas. Now the reason I asked about NYC/Manhattan and that particular question is if people are seeing attractive white women in the city out with guys like you, then chances are the whole race thing can indeed be overcome with social class, looks, and other things.

Now obviously if some Asian doctor who is westernized and good looking is having a lot of problems in NYC, then chances are, the city is just a horrible place for men of his background. I was trying to understand just how cliquish and close knit the Anglo Saxon/Northern European population of NYC really was.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Those were my type of guys for awhile right before I met my husband. Not that I didn't date other guys prior to that type. It was just what I was attracted to at that time in my life. Plus if you can make her smile and laugh I think you're going to have a lot of success with the women that are your type.
Maybe on the west coast but it does seem like NYC is a completely different ballgame.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:
Maybe on the west coast but it does seem like NYC is a completely different ballgame.
I would have to agree with you. It seems the whole region back East from the North to South has entirely different perspectives on race related subjects. This concerned me too when I first had to look at moving to NYC last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City