Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:41 PM

282 posts, read 351,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Manhattan is becoming an island of extremes.

The mean income of the top 5 percent of households in Manhattan soared 9 percent in 2013 over 2012, giving Manhattan the biggest dollar income gap of any county in the country, according to data from the Census Bureau.

The top 5 percent of households earned $864,394 and 88 times as much as the poorest 20 percent
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/ny...sus-finds.html

Top 5% Incomes by County:

01. New York, NY: $864,394
02. Fairfield, CT: $822,708
03. Westchester, NY: $793,134
04. Somerset, NJ: $625,869
05. Marin, CA: $624,762
06. Montgomery, MD: $567,190
07. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015
08. Morris, NJ: $546,982
09. Nassau, NY: $538,307
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744

Last edited by UAE50; 04-11-2015 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
Why would it not be? Manhattan has a large amount of high earners as many high paying jobs / industries are located here. Also, it is home to the most amount of billionaires in the Americas (maybe the world??) I believe. That greatly inflates the high income averages. And the city encourages some of the worlds poorest, most uneducated people to come here in mass numbers. It has policies that draw the poorest people from elsewhere in the country here. So why would there not be a huge gap?

You close a gap by bringing up the bottom, not bringing down the top. That is impossible when policies are in place ensuring there is an overabundance of poorly educated, non skilled workers.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 AM
J R

49 posts, read 48,406 times
Another alarmist article without explanation. Earth to the NY Times: Of course it does.

Notice New York (and San Francisco) are the only urban counties on that list. Those other counties are homogenously upper-middle class and wealthy counties without the mix of people you'd find in cities (poor, students, working class), so they don't have much of lower end, thus they can't have extreme gaps like Manhattan.

Manhattan also has the most rich and super rich people of any city in the world, which creates large swings in the data and pushes it upwards. It's just astonishing that Manhattan still manages to be #1 in average even with the 200,000 poor/working class/public housing dwellers on the northern end of the island, plus students who earn nothing and drag the average down tremendously. If you removed those people and made Manhattan a homogenous county like the rest, the top 5% is probably closer to $2 million.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
keep in mind that info is not part of a regular census that every one gets so you know it is at least accurate.

the financial info is from a few random samples of a questionnaire that very few citizens get that is sent out by the acs .

there are nooooooop financial questions that are part of the actual census.

if most of us guessed at the finances of even the people in our own neighborhood by using 1 or 2 cases we would likely be wrong especially if it isn't a lower income area..

Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
I thought we all had made the collective decision that huge income disparities don't matter and that it would be best to let the middle class go , so the rich can have it all. We keep voting for that anyway so I just assume that's what we want.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 AM

lots of truth to that.

we were able to call up via our fidelity account every dollar we spent the last year all sorted automatically by classification.

it was an amazing eye opener to just what it cost to live here .

we had 700 bucks in just tolls to see the kids. our food bill for two of us was 14k . that does not include another 7k or so we spend eating out every week or taking the kids and grand kids out to eat.

parking meters got over 250 bucks just going to the gym.

the list of expenses went on and on. you look at food bills outside of ny and they are a fraction of what we spend . insurances are so much more.

a plan f medigap plan is 3200 here , it is almost 1/2 that in georgia.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Why would it not be? Manhattan has a large amount of high earners as many high paying jobs / industries are located here. Also, it is home to the most amount of billionaires in the Americas (maybe the world??) I believe. That greatly inflates the high income averages. And the city encourages some of the worlds poorest, most uneducated people to come here in mass numbers. It has policies that draw the poorest people from elsewhere in the country here. So why would there not be a huge gap?

You close a gap by bringing up the bottom, not bringing down the top. That is impossible when policies are in place ensuring there is an overabundance of poorly educated, non skilled workers.
The fastest way to close a gap would be to work on both sides simultaneously.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
there are nooooooop financial questions that are part of the actual census.
Yeah, there are.
The "long form" is quite intrusive and they want to know EVERYTHING. If I recall from a month or so as a census enumerator back in 2000, there was one long form with hundreds of questions randomly assigned for every 14 short forms. (Don't hold me to that exact number though...it was 15 years ago,)

I had to quit after doing all my assigned short forms because I could not bring myself to try to grille someone so unmercifully on every aspect of life so I gave my long forms back.
I wish I had kept one of the forms.

I mean, really, they wanted to know how many miles each member drove to church...not kidding. As for finances, it's how much do you have, how much do you make, how much is your house worth, how much is your mortgage, your rent, your kids' schooling costs, number of cars, distance driven each year, number of jobs in the last 10 years.
They MAY have even asked how often you have sex.

Anyone unlucky enough to have drawn one of these hateful forms can back me up.

Gap Between Manhattan’s Rich and Poor Is Greatest in U.S., Census Finds
I see no reason on Earth to doubt that finding.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-12-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 03:55 AM

nope , the census we all get has zero financial information . the financial portion is called the acs or american consumer survey.

that asks all those finanial quetions but country wide a very limited number of them are sent out and many folks don't even respond as it is not mandatory you do.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The fastest way to close a gap would be to work on both sides simultaneously.
nyc attracts many low income folks for all the perks we offer.

public transportation

lots of unskilled jobs

welfare programs

lots of ethnic neighborhoods

low income housing and programs.

it also atttracts the rich.

look at new yorks rising exemptions for estate taxes. we went to 3 million this year and are headed to 5 million in two years.

that is a great deal for the wealthy who don't want to live in some no estate tax place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City