Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,062 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first time looking through Craiglist for a sublet apartment. I came across an ad that seemed "too good to be true" but I contacted the person who posted the ad because I was so interested in it. After I sent them an email that I was interested, this is the email that I received:
I wanted help validating the email, because he gave no introductions of himself nor did he include any contact information. Also when I asked to have a look at the apartment he said that there a guest occupying the place at the moment and that "according to our discipline am not permit to disturb the guest,thanks for your Patronage." But he said that I could view the apartment after the guest moves out, which is on April 30th. Is anyone familiar with general subletting procedures and can anyone tell me how to verify this ad?

(Start of email)
Hello

PRICE QUOTATION

Thank you for contacting my ads posted on Craigslist,the apartment is available for the chosen dates ( May 1 to May 31 (2016) )

1 YEAR RENT FEE = $21,600

DAMAGE DEPOSIT FEE ( REFUNDABLE ) = $200

TOTAL AMOUNT = $21,800

TOTAL DEPOSIT REQUIRED = $1800......FIRST MONTH RENT

BALANCE UPON ARRIVAL=$20,000

Note: We are going to refund your $200 damage deposit on your check out date if you dont damage any item inside the apartment.

APARTMENT LOCATION AND AMENITIES

Building Features:- It is located at:

(Address was given, but I decided to omit it from this post)

CD Player & DVD Player, Iron & ironing board, Kitchen, Laundry Facilities, Microwave, pots, coffee maker,cookware, split samsung air conditioner, heater, Shower, Telephone,Television, wifi, Pets permitted, Parking garage, High speed internet ,Laundry service available.

RESERVATION PROCEDURES

To reserve your dates, you have to make payment via Bank transfer, Let me know if you are ready to proceed with the payment, So i can send you the rental agreement and reservation form and you are to fill all field and sign, then scan and attach it to your mail and send it back to me with the payment receipt/confirmation.

You will meet me on your arrival so i can give you the keys to the unit and show you around.Once i hear from you i will forward you the agreement and booking form.

Let me know if you are okay with the terms,so i can forward you the contract form to fill, this will allow me to commences on the booking,hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
(End of email)

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by ahnyeong_0; 04-12-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:11 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
There is probably no way you can verify this ad. I wish you would have told us more about you and your situation and what you're looking for.

Are you in NYC? Are you out of town? Is this supposed to be a year-long furnished rental? Why would you want a furnished rental for a year?

At any rate, it's insane for anyone to pay it all in advance, if that's what he's asking. I'd ignore the email and keep looking. My guess is that this is a total fraud.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Thank you for your response.
I am an international student and studying abroad in New York. I was looking for an apartment to stay for a year starting this summer. I wasn't necessarily looking for a furnished rental, but I was looking more into the price. I was drawn to the ad because of its price and the included amenities.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 PM

Are you in NYC now?

Do NOT lease an apartment sight-unseen, certainly. Have you considered getting a short sublet, and then moving in with another student?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:44 PM

Yes I am in NYC right now.
Could you further explain what you mean by your last sentence? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Sure.

I ws thinking that if you're alone in NYC, it might be nice for you to have a roommate. It would be company for you, plus you would get to meet her friends, and maybe she would introduce you to various things around NYC. Some people become close friends with their roommates, and some don't - but with my first roommate we had a great time. We went to movies and concerts together, and all sorts of things.

Unfortunately, your timing is problematic. Are you in school now? Will you just be here doing nothing over the summer? Because most people probably won't be looking for roommates until August. Or are you in graduate school? I was thinking that maybe you could get a short-term sublet for a few months, and then at the end of the summer, maybe you would find someone you liked to share an apartment with. You can very often find furnished summer sublets, from students who are going home for the summer, or teachers who are going away for the summer.

While you're looking at CL, try browsing through the section called "Rooms & Shares." And don't bother with the sublet section if you're staying a whole year.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnyeong_0 View Post

You will meet me on your arrival so i can give you the keys to the unit and show you around.Once i hear from you i will forward you the agreement and booking form.

Let me know if you are okay with the terms,so i can forward you the contract form to fill, this will allow me to commences on the booking,hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
(End of email)

Thank you for your help in advance.
Scam. Fraud. Will steal your money. How do I know? Red flags are that you have to pay by "bank transfer" to "reserve your dates". Never do this. The other red flag is all the questionable English, typos and the like. Of course there's no guarantee that everyone renting an apartment out is going to have impeccable native English, but usually the scammers do have trouble with the English language and make strange sounding mistakes.

Third red flag is that parking is included. Very strange, as parking is almost never included in NYC.

Lastly, I googled the section that started with "CD Player & DVD Player, Iron & ironing board..."
and it comes up on a website where people post scam craigslist ads Report Craigslist Scams miami.craigslist.org/mdc/vac/4921218678.html

Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM

@Henna
Thank you so much for the reply and the detailed explanation.

@Cida
That's an option that I'll maybe consider, thank you again for the help.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Total fake ad and scam to get your money.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
These guys don't even try to use correct grammar on these scams nowadays. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City