Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,061,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So, according to all the transplants replying to this thread, the answer is a definitive, 'Yes'.

Personally, I'm not so sure.
At least they stated their opinion. "I'm not so sure" is very wishy washy and lacks conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 PM

231 posts, read 400,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So, according to all the transplants replying to this thread, the answer is a definitive, 'Yes'.

Personally, I'm not so sure.

You from here bro? Where?

How is Albequerque? I have always wanted to go to New Mexico!

Is there a lot of ex-NYers out there?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,264,961 times
Native New Yorker, Transplant New Yorker, Immigrant New Yorker, Ex-New Yorker. I think all of these apply, but I've always wondered about this.

Personally I was born and raised in Texas but have spent the majority of my adult life in the Pacific Northwest where both sides of my family are from. So which am I? After time I considered myself more PNW than Texan. I don't even have a Texas accent which is often brought up and I'd explain my parents are from the pacific northwest.

After traveling around the United States I know I'm definitely a West coast girl, because I've spent the majority of my formative year moving around and living in various States in the Western part of the USA. Yet no place really feels like home to me because I have immediate and extended family living all over the US, and due to the nature of our work I know we'll just have to move for work again eventually. Someday hopefully settling down somewhere in the next five years. Who knows where but we'll go where ever the money is.

So then do I just identify with my country as a whole and settle on calling myself American?

Take it FWIW. My opinion and experience will probably not count since I'm not a NYer, but I enjoy reading this forum.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,976,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
Would you consider someone who wasn't born or raised in NYC, and moved here in adulthood to be a New Yorker? Even if they move here at 21 and stay till they die at 80?

IMO no, if you move here as a grownup you can be someone who lives in New York but you will never ever be "from Brooklyn" or a "New Yorker" any more than I would be "from Boston" or "a New Englander" if my 20 year old self moved to Southie and lived out my days there. You either have to be born here, or moved here when you were still a kid and attended school here. You can also be a New Yorker if you were born in the city but raised in Westchester or Long Island but not NJ.

What's your opinion? Is it correct for a transplant (even a long term resident one) to call them self a New Yorker or tell people they are "from NY"

Just curious on the consensus of my fellow NYers.

Good question and its hard to think about. People hold NYC as a badge of honor regardless if one is born here, overseas and moved here or from some unknown part of the country and moved to NYC to make a name for themselves. Me personally if one is paying taxes to the state and city of NY and are residnets past 90 days they are New Yorkers, but tehn again I wonder how many Transplants still refer themselves as Georgian, Virginian, Floridian, Minnesotan, or Ohioan, Californian, while living in NY? Probably lots. At heart a Transplant can never be a native New Yorker and therefore can never be a true New Yorker. Coming to NYC to attend college or make a career is vastly different than those who were born and raised here. If I was to move to another state and live their permanently I would never consider myself to be from my new state and will still consider myself to be a New Yorker. You can take the New Yorker out of New York, but you can never take the New York out of an New Yorker.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,442,266 times
Hillary Clinton claims to be a true "New Yorker" even thou she is from Illinois. I only view true New Yorkers as born and raised in New Yorker. I asked many people in NY and they mostly agreed with me on that.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM

31,969 posts, read 34,512,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
There are people that are quintessential "New York" and associated deeply with New York yet weren't born or raised here. Examples:

1. Tony Randall (birth name: [COLOR=black ! important]Arthur Leonard Rosenberg): born & raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma[/color]
[COLOR=black ! important]2. Jack Klugman: born & raised in Philadelphia, PA & went to college in Pittsburgh, PA.[/color]
[COLOR=black ! important]3. Frank Sinatra: born & raised in Hoboken, NJ[/color]
[COLOR=black ! important]4. Ed Koch: born in the Bronx but was raised and grew up in Newark, NJ[/color]
[COLOR=black ! important][/color]
[COLOR=black ! important]Or look at Bill and Hillary Clinton. Bill was born and raised in Arkansas and Hilary was born and raised in suburban Chicago and yet they moved here after his presidency ended and she got elected U.S. Senator representing New York State.[/color]
[COLOR=black ! important][/color]
Or look at our two last mayors...both of whom grew up in Massachusetts.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,523,782 times
Newsflash, the only people that care about "native" "transplant" etc are city-data posters.

No one gives an eff in real life.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,532,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Hillary Clinton claims to be a true "New Yorker" even thou she is from Illinois. I only view true New Yorkers as born and raised in New Yorker. I asked many people in NY and they mostly agreed with me on that.
Agreed with this post. I was born and raised in New York City, and left due to the start of my military career.

I've lived on the other side of the world, and in California and currently Houston, TX. I've been in Houston since 2001.

I consider myself a New Yorker.......that lives in Texas.

edit: I'm seeing a WHOLE LOT of NY plates down here lately and I always want to catch up to the car and say hayyyyyyyyy LOL

Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,395,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Newsflash, the only people that care about "native" "transplant" etc are city-data posters.

No one gives an eff in real life.

Ding, ding, ding.

People who create multiple handles to obsess over this are pretty much the only ones who care.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 AM

147 posts, read 197,173 times
I've work with plenty of ppl who moved to new york, after their college calling them new yorkers, but I call these folks "domestic immigrants".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City