Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:11 PM

15,475 posts, read 15,442,495 times

Advertisements

What locks are around - for apartment front doors - better than a Medeco for someone a little more paranoid than usual?

Do Fichet locks still exist? They used to be considered the best, but I haven't heard them mentioned in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM

197 posts, read 514,517 times
Mul-t-lock is supposed to be good

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,840,879 times
Here yah go:

Remember, whatever lock you use will depend on the strength of the door and frame...STEEL.

Whenever someone kicks in a door and the jamb gives way, it matters little what kind of lock was used.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,306,539 times
I only have one lock for my apartment and I've come in the morning to find my husband has left the keys in the front door, all night, inviting anyone in---so even the best lock doesn't work in that case. HA.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM

147 posts, read 196,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I only have one lock for my apartment and I've come in the morning to find my husband has left the keys in the front door, all night, inviting anyone in---so even the best lock doesn't work in that case. HA.
You should invest on one of those $7, "sliding lock" that can only be open/lock from inside.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,352,621 times
I have a neighbor who does that occasionally. I take them in and email her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,352,621 times
What are you worried about, picking, kicking, or both. They take different approaches to guard against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What locks are around - for apartment front doors - better than a Medeco for someone a little more paranoid than usual?

Do Fichet locks still exist? They used to be considered the best, but I haven't heard them mentioned in years.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:51 AM

15,824 posts, read 6,639,505 times
Remember folks....
Thieves need to work quickly.

Locks only slow down a thief.
Youtube the locklawyer for the curious.

A good lock backed up by a Ring System that records as well as sending you live
stream or a paid for Home Security System is an additional defense.
Having a one ton safe in your house ( sarcasm ) keeps your valuables in your home.
Keeping your valuables in hidden spots scattered across the home helps.
Your objective is to slow down a thief to the point he gives up and leaves since
he has little time.

There are so many ways to slow a thief down but never the perfect deterrent exists.

The best thief thwarting defense since I can remember ?
A LOUD BARKING DOG.

Thieves will think twice of breaking into an apartment when surprised by a loud and very noisy dog !
Plus they will think twice of being mauled to death.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 676,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Remember folks....
Thieves need to work quickly.

Locks only slow down a thief.
Youtube the locklawyer for the curious.

A good lock backed up by a Ring System that records as well as sending you live
stream or a paid for Home Security System is an additional defense.
Having a one ton safe in your house ( sarcasm ) keeps your valuables in your home.
Keeping your valuables in hidden spots scattered across the home helps.
Your objective is to slow down a thief to the point he gives up and leaves since
he has little time.

There are so many ways to slow a thief down but never the perfect deterrent exists.

The best thief thwarting defense since I can remember ?
A LOUD BARKING DOG.

Thieves will think twice of breaking into an apartment when surprised by a loud and very noisy dog !
Plus they will think twice of being mauled to death.
Or just have insurance. They take my stuff, I get new stuff. They come in while I’m home, I call a clean up crew.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,354,831 times
I use Abloy for my locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House