Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 22,324 times

Advertisements

I'm a college female student looking to rent a summer apartment in NYC and I'm just about to sign the lease when I found out the NYCHA Amsterdam houses are nearby (really close..) and I was wondering should I be worried and find somewhere else to live?

The apartment is 63 west, and has doors on 63 and 64 street by Amsterdam Avenue. The Amsterdam houses are literally just next door, and to get to the subway one has to walk past the edge of the projects.

I'm so worried because I will be alone and a stranger in NYC and I just hope if anyone will tell me if I should be concerned with the safety issues.

Last edited by chenxijessica; 04-20-2015 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
There is only one building on Amsterdam with access to 63rd and 64th and that building is very much one of the Amsterdam Houses (NYCHA.)

However "63 West Realty" has some nice buildings around town like 244 West 64th...but even that is smack dab in the middle of NYCHA.
Official Website for 63rd West Realty | New York City Apartments | Upper West Side Apartment Rentals

So, are you talking about the latter place...nice building but with kitchens in the living room...weird?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 22,324 times
Question The latter one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is only one building on Amsterdam with access to 63rd and 64th and that building is very much one of the Amsterdam Houses (NYCHA.)

However "63 West Realty" has some nice buildings around town like 244 West 64th...but even that is smack dab in the middle of NYCHA.
Official Website for 63rd West Realty | New York City Apartments | Upper West Side Apartment Rentals

So, are you talking about the latter place...nice building but with kitchens in the living room...weird?
Yesss I'm talking about the latter one.

The building is beside one of the NYCHA buildings and the walk to the subway actually has to go by the NYCHA building. I know there are lots of juilliard and Fordham students living there but should I be worried?

How bad are living near the NYCHA? I'm really worried mostly about the walk to the subway which has to go past the NYCHA building on 64th.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,749,389 times
How long have NYCHA been around and how long have people lived directly across the street for them in non NYCHA, if they were so bad places would always be empty. Just use common sense, you should be more worried about actually living in the building you're moving into and your actual apt. Many horror stories from current and previous tenants regarding non nycha issues.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Amsterdam Houses are not nearly as bad as some. Being right next to Lincoln Center means the City has a vested interest in not scaring people away with crime, danger, and filth.

But late at night, walk fast, straight, sober and, if possible, accompanied...always a good idea.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,513 times
Lol whats with the fear of the projects? Randomly came across this post as I googled Amsterdam Houses and I've been living there for like 10 years. Just know, you're an individual just like everyone else, nobody is worried about you or even thinking about you. Relax, you're a female, nobody is going to beat you up or steal your bag lol, at worst, you'll have someone try to pick you up if you're attractive but just ignore them if you're not interested like you would normally do. You see your peers moving into Harlem right? Isn't Harlem suppose to be this crime ridden place?

Lol can't even believe people make threads on a public forum regarding moving into a wealthy neighborhood cuz of one housing project as if walking past it is gonna get you stripped of your clothes and robbed. If you've a civilian and not trying to act tough or start problems, relax nobody is worried about you or thinking about doing anything to you. Sure, maybe if you drop your new iphone, someone is going to pocket it and not run you down to give it to you. But to think you can't chill in the park or walk thru the hood is weird. Its not cool to bully people, not cool to bother people who are minding their business, that **** petty and wack. Everyone just trying to have a good time and make money. Just know if you need bud, we got it.

Not tryna bring race into this, but tons of white laguardia, beacon, and John Jay students walk thru the projects with no fear. Im 19 and im probably one of the people that you fear,lol, just know unless you spit on someone you should have no fear. Its summer time, everyone is outside and all we're thinking about is getting high, selling bud, and whether the boys (cops) are on the block. Lmao this is sad fam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City