Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemi
but i am not a white boy
im north african/south american so i be safe
East Flatbush is a place i am not going near, i read about many shooting/murders there so its a no no
If you're South American/North African, do you speak Spanish or Arabic? Spanish is a huge asset in the U.S. when looking for employment, particularly in New York, and particularly in any sort of job where you deal with the public (i.e. the service industry) due to the large Spanish-speaking population here. Arabic much less so (although there is a HUGE demand for them in the government for obvious reasons), but foreign language skills are always a huge plus in this country.

As far as the violence, as a whole the US is a pretty violent nation compared to most of the rest of the Western world. Many more shootings (partially due to guns being legal here whereas they're not in many other Western nations) and murders than the average European country, or Australia, New Zealand or Japan. However, New York is actually I believe the safest big city in the nation and like most cities, crime is heavily centralized so as long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods and situations and exercise a bit more street smarts than you may be accustomed to (always lock your doors, be aware of your surroundings, don't walk down dark alleyways, etc.), you should be fine.

Oh and as an added plus, you should know that most American girls (and/or boys....but that depends on what you're into) love Aussie accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 37,774 times
You just made me regret something very important
I had a choice, either I learn Spanish by my mom or Arabic and Somali by my dad and I choose Arabic
Now I kind of regret it
Still Arabic can be useful right? I don’t think they will employ me in any government jobs UNLESS I have a citizenship. They might if they really need it though. I can say that my skills in interpreting Arabic - English or English - Arabic are over excellent so there shouldn’t be a problem.

And sadly, I don’t have an OZ accent
I have an American /African American accent

*edit*
notice i said "mom" :P

Old 07-01-2006, 07:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemi
You just made me regret something very important
I had a choice, either I learn Spanish by my mom or Arabic and Somali by my dad and I choose Arabic
Now I kind of regret it
Still Arabic can be useful right? I don’t think they will employ me in any government jobs UNLESS I have a citizenship. They might if they really need it though. I can say that my skills in interpreting Arabic - English or English - Arabic are over excellent so there shouldn’t be a problem.

And sadly, I don’t have an OZ accent
I have an American /African American accent

*edit*
notice i said "mom" :P
Well, as I said, there is a HUGE demand for Arabic speakers in this country working for the government, in counterterrorism, intelligence and the like, and also a dire need for interpreters and translators at a local level as well. While there are a dearth of Spanish-speakers in the service industry and professional industries, there is a much wider pool to choose from as many Americans come from a Spanish-speaking background or studied the language in school and have achieved some conversational ability in it, but it's just hard to keep up with the exponential growth. I speak Spanish fluently (more or less) and it's always viewed as a nice plus even in jobs where it wouldn't seem like it would matter.

As far as Arabic though, I wouldn't discount your Arabic knowledge. In fact, it could serve as an important stepping stone towards obtaining a work visa in the U.S. As I stated earlier, the U.S. frequently grants green cards (document permitting foreigners to work legally in the U.S.) to those whom it deems to be highly-skilled workers that there are a shortage of in the U.S. This included nurses (often recruited from the Philippines) and computer technicians (often recruited from India) amongst others. Well, I would think that knowledge of Arabic might fall under this category as well since there is such a shortage of fluent Arabic speakers in the U.S. I'm not even quite sure how to go about looking into this, but do some research on the internet, make some calls to embassies in the U.S. and Australia; make some contacts. It can't hurt to just "cold call" organizations that you think may be looking for Arabic speakers, or at least those that may point you in the right direction. Arabic's benefits are largely in the federal/defense sector in the U.S. where Spanish tends to be more localized, being a particular advantage in the service industry in dealing with the many Spanish-speakers in this country. There are nowhere near as many Arabic speakers in the U.S. and those who do speak Arabic, chiefly are fluent in English so there's less need to cater to their linguistic needs.

I think it actually was smart of you to learn Arabic over Spanish as a child. The reason being that Arabic is an extremely difficult language to learn as an adult, particularly if your native language is English, since they are so different. It's much easier for an English speaker to learn Spanish than English, so achieving a fluency in Arabic due to studying it at a young age, I think might be much more beneficial in the long run.

And you have an American accent? How so? Were you born in the US? Is one of your parents American? Maybe that's a naive question, but I had just always assumed that if you're born and raised in Australia, you'd have the standard Aussie accent.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 AM

I don’t think I will be applying for a green card due to waiting period. Waiting for the visa is going to take a very long time I mean we are looking at around 2-6 years...
My plan is apply for a non-immigrant visa which lasts for 6 years. There are 2 options and I will try both when I get the non-immigrant visa either 1. Wait 5 years and get the citizenship or 2. As soon as I land in the US I will apply for an immigrant visa while I am staying in the US.
Green card is not on my list right now.

As for Arabic, it’s great to know that they need Arabic speaking people but I don’t think the FBI/CIA or secret services employ people without them having an American citizenship which makes it hard. Im not really sure if they are going to break the rules if they need to though. I am applying for a job in the FBI or CIA or NYPD when I get the citizenship though :P it’s my dream .

As for American accent, I got it from Rap music and movies. I never really got interested in Australian movies or even trying to speak in an Australian accent so people normally tend to call me a yank (what they call Americans in Australia). I don’t mind though, as long as I am understood :\.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:19 AM

thanks ellent thats a brilliant site.

1 more question, sorry if i am such a pain
can any one tell me where races are located in brooklyn? i want to stay in a black area with latin americans so it will be safer...
can any one name those areas?

Old 09-02-2006, 06:47 AM

104 posts, read 386,888 times
Races?

Well, there's the 50-yard dash, 100 meter sprint, the three legged race, the roll an egg with your nose race, and many more.

Brooklyn has it all; black, white, yellow, green, beige, etc, etc

Living in a black area with Latin Americans is safer? Never heard of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemi View Post
thanks ellent thats a brilliant site.

1 more question, sorry if i am such a pain
can any one tell me where races are located in brooklyn? i want to stay in a black area with latin americans so it will be safer...
can any one name those areas?

Old 09-02-2006, 02:51 PM

42 posts, read 139,066 times
New Yorker -
LOL - that's a good one.
Nothing like a NY sense of humor

Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy Oakley View Post
You must be very careful not to end up believing everything you hear from some people when you arrive. Your eagerness to come to USA, to cut your apron strings from your motherland [isn't there adventure there? the country is so big, can't you find someplace there with some excitement to explore to test your wings?] and take off to parts unknown without a blink. You may end up in prostitution by befriending someone who wants to "help" you and you seem nieve enough to believe them. If that happens, there is no way out of the mess you will get yourself into. Buy a around trip ticket, please and keep it safe. It think you should use more prudence and responsibility in seeking your good fortune. If you are willing to accept any job, you just might. If you are willing to accept any apartment, you just might. May I ask where do you think you will stay when you get off the airplane? How will you get from the airport to wherever your destination is? You need big bucks in NY. Your first night in a hotel may cost an entire months rent. It's none of my business, but I think you should have a little better plan....Best wishes,
Very well said. I agree. I do not want to discourage the original poster, but if you take any advice, this should be it. Good Luck.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:24 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemi View Post
2. Live on the streets for a week, im not really fussy about roaches and rats so ... but this is the last choice of course. I might end up in the salvation army for a day or two haha
In any way if you people suggest things to do after I land in the airport it will be excellent
and I think ill take a Taxi to the place I am staying or a bus, im not going to have 100 backs, just a little bag is enough
You will not last the weekend if you go this route. Consider a better plan. Foolish people learn from their own mistakes. Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
You will not last the weekend if you go this route. Consider a better plan. Foolish people learn from their own mistakes. Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.
i got no idea where am staying man :/
only 1 month left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City