Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,839 times

Advertisements

Don't want to get into too much detail, but I live in RI. I'm 15 (if that matters). Born in Long Island (West Islip). Anyways, I go to NYC/Long Island every 2-3 months to get halal food (I'm Muslim, RI doesn't have certain halal meat; I suppose Mass does, but we enjoy the NY trip). Anyways, I'm not an expert on the areas and what not, I mean I know more than the average tourist..let me get to the point. I've been in RI since 2008, and I've just hated it. I've kinda gotten more acceptable, Providence is not too bad (well, truth be told, I live in North Providence, 10 minutes away from downtown, but you might as well just include it in Prov). I'm notorious among relatives and stuff for never shutting up about New York. Always saying I wanna move to the city. But, lately, for a year or so, I've been kinda going crazy over this. Some might see it as overreacting, I agree. Anyways, I wanna move to the city because I feel like it's home (I mean, I've been to the city millions of times). I want the city life, and blah blah you know what I mean, it's amazing. Yeah, I'm ignoring all the $$$ issues, but bear with me for now. The essential question is: will I just be some hipster transplant? Okay, not hipster, and no I'm not a white, upper class rich trust funded coffee sipping soon-to-be yuppie (believe me, Providence has its fair share of those, drive by Brown University. Goddamn Ivy leaguers). I mean, I'll be moving back to my home state, and I'm grateful I'm in RI not in Iowa or something. I never thought I had an accent but recently I was playing PS4 with my friend (who also apparently has this accent) we were playing with some Canadian we found online, and he's like "wow you guys totally have that northeastern accent" so we thought he meant Boston and we hate Boston so we told him "nah we're from RI" and he's like "well it sounds New Yorkean" and apparently he knows this cause his aunt lives in Brooklyn and he goes down there every summer. By the way my friend is Italian if that matters. Anyways, I digress. So I asked the question. Will I be another basic transplant? I mean, if yes, it's just so mentally annoying, like I'm a try hard New Yorker. Makes me want to not leave RI for the rest of my life (which REALLY would suck personally for me). I'm not ashamed of RI, but NY is just home. The friend I was talking about, he said he visited NY and he had that "at home" feel too, even though he's not even from there. Whatever. Don't hate. Keep negative thoughts to yourself. You can be constructively critical if you'd like, not destructively.

Jesus Christ that was long. If you read up to here THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:29 AM

162 posts, read 180,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNewYorker14 View Post
You can be constructively critical if you'd like, not destructively.
I'll try.

Quote:
Don't want to get into too much detail
You did. But it wasn't helpful detail.

Quote:
Will I be just some hipster transplant? // Will I be another basic transplant?
Yes... if you act like one and advertise it. Think Midnight Cowboy. I get the feeling you're a fast-talker and go off on tangents when you talk; like you're excitable. That doesn't seem very New Yorkish to me.

If you act like a seasoned New Yorker, who's going to know? If you've been to NYC as many times as you say you have, I'm sure you know how to act. I've never been asked how long I've lived here. There are many different types of people here, including a ton of tourists; NY'ers don't care. And why would you care whether people judge you anyway?

Quote:
Makes me want to not leave RI for the rest of my life
You need to be more confident if you go ahead with this. And maybe this is a good place to ask why you picked a screen name like "Native New Yorker" if you're not a native New Yorker.

Quote:
I'm 15 // I want the city life, and blah blah you know what I mean, it's amazing.
Think about why it's amazing. Is it amazing because it's big, fast paced and has a bunch of stuff? Are you starry-eyed? Have you only been here as part of the bridge-and-tunnel crowd?

Since you mentioned you're 15, I don't understand what your hurry is. Are you "running away" from your family? Are you going to move here by yourself? Are you going to go to high school and college here? (One of your sentences is 86 words long, you don't use hard returns and you have problems structuring your thoughts; you need more education.) If you're not a trust-funder, how are you going to afford this place? Do you realize how hard it will be to rent an apartment? Are you going to get a job? Can you even get a job here? Take a deep breath and do some actual research.

Quote:
I'm notorious among relatives and stuff for never shutting up about New York. Always saying I wanna move to the city.
Don't annoy your relatives. If you're seriously considering moving here, you're going to need help.

Overall, I'm quite confused. Bullet-point some extra facts and maybe we can be of more assistance.

Last edited by Employable; 04-24-2015 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 AM

706 posts, read 1,038,920 times
i didn't read your post but yeah you're just another lame transplant.

xoxo,
lifesurfer!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM

5,511 posts, read 8,719,059 times
Finish high school. Get really good grades and test scores. Then go to college, and maybe you can do that in NYC if everything works out. In the meantime get your NYC fix by seeing if you can get work here during the summers while living with your relatives.

Until then: STOP WORRYING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT YOU!

I can guarantee you that most New Yorkers are way too busy living their own lives to give a rat's a** that you came from Rhode Island.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,395,090 times
The only people who seem surprised that others don't live in one state their entire life is certain people on C-D. They tend to be young and proclaim they are "Italian".

Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,397,527 times
Quote:
Don't want to get into too much detail, but I live in RI. I'm 15 (if that matters). Born in Long Island (West Islip). Anyways, I go to NYC/Long Island every 2-3 months to get halal food (I'm Muslim, RI doesn't have certain halal meat; I suppose Mass does, but we enjoy the NY trip). Anyways, I'm not an expert on the areas and what not, I mean I know more than the average tourist..let me get to the point. I've been in RI since 2008, and I've just hated it. I've kinda gotten more acceptable, Providence is not too bad (well, truth be told, I live in North Providence, 10 minutes away from downtown, but you might as well just include it in Prov). I'm notorious among relatives and stuff for never shutting up about New York. Always saying I wanna move to the city. But, lately, for a year or so, I've been kinda going crazy over this. Some might see it as overreacting, I agree. Anyways, I wanna move to the city because I feel like it's home (I mean, I've been to the city millions of times). I want the city life, and blah blah you know what I mean, it's amazing. Yeah, I'm ignoring all the $$$ issues, but bear with me for now. The essential question is: will I just be some hipster transplant? Okay, not hipster, and no I'm not a white, upper class rich trust funded coffee sipping soon-to-be yuppie (believe me, Providence has its fair share of those, drive by Brown University. Goddamn Ivy leaguers). I mean, I'll be moving back to my home state, and I'm grateful I'm in RI not in Iowa or something. I never thought I had an accent but recently I was playing PS4 with my friend (who also apparently has this accent) we were playing with some Canadian we found online, and he's like "wow you guys totally have that northeastern accent" so we thought he meant Boston and we hate Boston so we told him "nah we're from RI" and he's like "well it sounds New Yorkean" and apparently he knows this cause his aunt lives in Brooklyn and he goes down there every summer. By the way my friend is Italian if that matters. Anyways, I digress. So I asked the question. Will I be another basic transplant? I mean, if yes, it's just so mentally annoying, like I'm a try hard New Yorker. Makes me want to not leave RI for the rest of my life (which REALLY would suck personally for me). I'm not ashamed of RI, but NY is just home. The friend I was talking about, he said he visited NY and he had that "at home" feel too, even though he's not even from there. Whatever. Don't hate. Keep negative thoughts to yourself. You can be constructively critical if you'd like, not destructively.

Jesus Christ that was long. If you read up to here THANKS!!
Wow. All I can say is focus on your situation right now. You are 15 & have a chance to rise to the top. Finish up high school with solid grades and maybe consider attending a university in or near NYC if you love it so much. The two most prestigious (and expensive) schools in NYC are Columbia University and NYU. The other two Ivy League schools I'd say are a relatively short train ride away are Princeton in NJ & Yale in New Haven, CT. Granted, most of those schools are uber tough to get into. NYU less so but it's still gonna be competitive. Consider other alternatives perhaps such as Rutgers in NJ, Fordham in the Bronx, or maybe University of Connecticut. A lot of the pipelined jobs from these schools will probably funnel into the NYC market.

Now sure, you don't live in NYC, but you live a heck of a lot closer to NYC than someone that lives in the Midwest, West Coast or down South. You're only a train ride or bus ride (or drive) away from the city. Use that to your advantage and continue your trips into NYC to fulfill your fix but really focus on school so that you can legitimately leave Rhode Island once you graduate.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 PM

Employable thanks for the help but you don't have to be so snappy. Just saying. I'm in high school yes and I want to go to college in NYC. My parents are all for it. I understand it's really not easy and goody goody to make a living but that's not my question (for now). My question is, if I was born there, am I still a transplant? I'm not saying transplant is a negative thing (for me, personally, it is). I know a lot of NY'ers who tend to hate transplants (I don't hate all, just the snotty rich ones who think they own the city). I'm not like that. I know NYC etiquette. It might not seem like a huge deal to others but for me, being an "outsider" or "transplant" or "tourist" in my own home state bothers me (whereas, actual tourists don't annoy me). I love the city's culture and atmosphere. Jesus Christ Employable you looked way too into it. I'm not in the bridge-and-tunnel crowd (at least that's what I think), I understand there's more to the city than Manhattan and more to the state than the city. I'm not a fast talker either, again for Christsake what's with the over judgement? Jeez.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,053,339 times
Quote:
Employable thanks for the help but you don't have to be so snappy. Just saying. I'm in high school yes and I want to go to college in NYC. My parents are all for it. I understand it's really not easy and goody goody to make a living but that's not my question (for now). My question is, if I was born there, am I still a transplant? I'm not saying transplant is a negative thing (for me, personally, it is). I know a lot of NY'ers who tend to hate transplants (I don't hate all, just the snotty rich ones who think they own the city). I'm not like that. I know NYC etiquette. It might not seem like a huge deal to others but for me, being an "outsider" or "transplant" or "tourist" in my own home state bothers me (whereas, actual tourists don't annoy me). I love the city's culture and atmosphere. Jesus Christ Employable you looked way too into it. I'm not in the bridge-and-tunnel crowd (at least that's what I think), I understand there's more to the city than Manhattan and more to the state than the city. I'm not a fast talker either, again for Christsake what's with the over judgement? Jeez.
Why are you so worried what others will think of you?

Oh, right, you're 15.

Look, by the time you get here you will have matured a bit (hopefully) and (again, hopefully) you will realize that it really doesn't matter.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why are you so worried what others will think of you?

Oh, right, you're 15.

Look, by the time you get here you will have matured a bit (hopefully) and (again, hopefully) you will realize that it really doesn't matter.
Well, you win. I guess it's just some stupid teenage thing. I hope you're right. Bye everyone! Check out Providence some day!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 PM

503 posts, read 895,325 times
I stopped reading at "I'm 15." Get your priorities right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City