Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 15,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
The only apartments (definitely no houses) at 105th and the FDR are NYCHA projects - are you sure that's a legal rental you are moving into?

That aside, if you are actually moving to an apartment nearby and not exactly where you are saying then you will probably be OK, your biggest worry may be the condition of your apartment. Unlike the alarmists here, I would say that you will live, just keep your awareness up, as one always should in the city.
Yes that is where I would move in. My landlord subleased a room for me. I am new to NYC so I am so regretful that I have not had enough research... Is there any other places that have cheaper rent while not dangerous? I will work in midtown.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
Nothing is cheap in Manhattan. Look in Queens for lower rent.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 15,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Nothing is cheap in Manhattan. Look in Queens for lower rent.
Yeah I am considering Astoria and Woodside now. I may live on 105st for a couple of weeks and then move out. I am so scared now... I heard people say the easter the better and 105st is better than 110+st. That's why I signed the contract...

Old 04-30-2015, 01:35 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
My quick rule of thumb is to not bother with anything above 100th st on the east side of Manhattan. Been there, ain't pretty though it is a little block by block. Wait out your contract and move along. I doubt anything will happen to you during your tenure, but you'll have some serious quality of life issues.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xli22 View Post
Hey guys,

I am currently planning to move to East Harlem this fall because of its great rent. I have found a house around 105st, FDR Drive. I need to go to work by taking No.6 train on 103 st. I have read a lot of information about this area and now I am a bit confused. I am an Asian girl and I am concerned about my safety if I need to live here. I often get back home after work around 8 pm. Is that a good place to live?

Thanks!
No. Very unsafe. There was a old woman found unconscious in her apartment a few weeks ago at the Wilson Houses. Someone stole some of her belongings. The west side corners of 105th and 1st are notorious for its debauchery.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
East Harlem is still, in 2015, in the top 3 highest crime neighborhoods in the city. I'd say this is mostly due to the insane amount of housing projects that saturate the neighborhood. I personally would prefer many parts of the Bronx over East Harlem.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:40 AM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
yea East Harlem is not very nice, there are so many MUCH nicer areas in queens with better housing stock for the same or cheaper with great subway access like FH, JH, Sunnyside...etc... I don't get why some people insist on manhattan or Bk in worse areas...

Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Yeah I am considering Astoria and Woodside now. I may live on 105st for a couple of weeks and then move out. I am so scared now... I heard people say the easter the better and 105st is better than 110+st. That's why I signed the contract...
Both are great neighborhoods. I particularly would go with Astoria because of its close proximity to Manhattan, mixed cultures, and eclectic varieties of amenities in the area

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
If your scared don't bother. Street characters pick up on the fear and prey.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 30,520 times
Quote:
I felt SO safe when I lived in Woodside- more than Astoria where I lived before. I never worried walking home, and always felt there were people looking out for me. It's a lovely neighborhood, friendliest place I ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: