Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Both 11102 and 11103 are more dense than both 11209 and 11220. 11106 has similar density as 11220, but slightly less.
Those are not apples to apples comparisons. 11220 alone is bigger than both 11102 + 11103, if you combine both of those together, they will be less dense than 11220.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

415 posts, read 514,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Bay Ridge peaked as a neighborhood and it will only be in a decline in relevance as the surrounding neighborhood improve, while Astoria is improving and will surpass bay ridge in relevance given the city goal of renovating the waterfront facing Manhattan (east river). It takes the same amount of time to arrive in downtown Manhattan if you travel from Astoria or Bay Ridge (about 40 minutes).
Lol what the hell do you mean by "peaked"?

You out of towners need to stop looking at NYC like its a ****ing petting zoo here for your pleasure. Bay Ridge is one of the safest and most dynamic area's in all of NYC. There are 10 million dollar homes, rent stabilized apartments and everything in between. Bay Ridge has the best restaraunts in all of NYC ranging from Yemeni to the top Italian and American fare. I own some of what are known as the best restaurants in Manhattan so I probably know what I'm talking about. There are families in Bay Ridge who've lived there for 15 generations and people who just arrived yesterday from some far away place.

What Bay Ridge doesn't need is some doofus kids from Iowa looking to gentrify one of the most stable zip code(s) in all of America. Stay away.

Last edited by Citizenrich; 04-28-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Those are not apples to apples comparisons. 11220 alone is bigger than both 11102 + 11103, if you combine both of those together, they will be less dense than 11220.
Then throw 11106 into the mix. However way you look at it Astoria has higher density than Sunset Park, and definitely higher density than Bay Ridge. Actually a lot of Queens neighborhoods are higher density than Sunset Park. Sunnyside is another one in addition to the others I already listed.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Then throw 11106 into the mix. However way you look at it Astoria has higher density than Sunset Park, and definitely higher density than Bay Ridge. Actually a lot of Queens neighborhoods are higher density than Sunset Park. Sunnyside is another one in addition to the others I already listed.
There's no way Astoria is denser than Sunset Park. Sunset Park is one of the densest neighborhoods in Brooklyn / Queens. Check the link I posted on the previous page or this one (Sunset Park is the red sort in the southwest corner of Brooklyn). Only denser neighborhood in Queens is Jackson Heights, and maybe parts of Flushing or Forest Hills?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's no way Astoria is denser than Sunset Park. Sunset Park is one of the densest neighborhoods in Brooklyn / Queens. Check the link I posted on the previous page or this one (Sunset Park is the red sort in the southwest corner of Brooklyn). Only denser neighborhood in Queens is Jackson Heights, and maybe parts of Flushing or Forest Hills?
I guess you're right about Sunset Park. That denser area in Queens is Jackson Heights, but more so Elmhurst. I would have thought the highest density would have been somewhere in Flatbush. Sunset Park and Elmhurst isn't density, that's overcrowding. Stuffing way too many people into livable units. Flatbush, Jackson Heights and Forest Hills have lots of large buildings, so I can understand them having high density, but Sunset Park is mostly two story row houses with some bigger buildings on the corners. Elmhurst has a bunch of bigger buildings, but I'm still pretty sure they have plenty of overcrowding as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Bay Ridge has the best restaraunts in all of NYC ranging from Yemeni to the top Italian and American fare.
I bet George Clooney is not walking through that door.

George Clooney and Bill Murray spotted having dinner in Astoria, NY - On Location Vacations

Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,297 times
Bay Ridge and Astoria were the first to come to mind when I was trying to think of old-school neighborhoods. I pinged my best friend who lives in Bay Ridge and he said "yeah Astoria is basically Bay Ridge but in Queens haha". There's definitely a lot of similarities with regard to vibe, density, night life, types of businesses. Astoria has had a sizable number of young people for some time, but I've noticed more young people getting on and off the R at 59th too these days. Even saw a couple of hipsters!

Quote:
I guess you're right about Sunset Park. That denser area in Queens is Jackson Heights, but more so Elmhurst. I would have thought the highest density would have been somewhere in Flatbush. Sunset Park and Elmhurst isn't density, that's overcrowding. Stuffing way too many people into livable units. Flatbush, Jackson Heights and Forest Hills have lots of large buildings, so I can understand them having high density, but Sunset Park is mostly two story row houses with some bigger buildings on the corners. Elmhurst has a bunch of bigger buildings, but I'm still pretty sure they have plenty of overcrowding as well.
Totally right about Sunset Park. A good number of two-family houses easily have four or five families living in them, especially in the eastern side. As far as Bay Ridge goes, it's got dense parts with large apartment buildings and more spread-out parts with single family homes. Astoria is similar, but the Ditmars area is a bit denser than, say, the 70s and 80s west of 3rd ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Lol what the hell do you mean by "peaked"?

You out of towners need to stop looking at NYC like its a ****ing petting zoo here for your pleasure. Bay Ridge is one of the safest and most dynamic area's in all of NYC. There are 10 million dollar homes, rent stabilized apartments and everything in between. Bay Ridge has the best restaraunts in all of NYC ranging from Yemeni to the top Italian and American fare. I own some of what are known as the best restaurants in Manhattan so I probably know what I'm talking about. There are families in Bay Ridge who've lived there for 15 generations and people who just arrived yesterday from some far away place.

What Bay Ridge doesn't need is some doofus kids from Iowa looking to gentrify one of the most stable zip code(s) in all of America. Stay away.
Yup. "Bay Ridge has peaked" is a rather strange thing to say. But how do you even gentrify a neighborhood that's already safe, clean and upper middle-class? Not that things can't change over time, but it's never going to be like Williamsburg or Bed-Stuy.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebc2 View Post
Bay Ridge and Astoria were the first to come to mind when I was trying to think of old-school neighborhoods.
I think Ridgewood would have both of them beat in terms of old school feel.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 PM

313 posts, read 212,296 times
Quote:
I think Ridgewood would have both of them beat in terms of old school feel.
I've always considered Ridgewood apart of Brooklyn because it shares same streets as Bushwick. Its like a more safer Bushwick but in Queens

Old 04-28-2015, 11:16 PM

415 posts, read 514,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebc2 View Post
Bay Ridge and Astoria were the first to come to mind when I was trying to think of old-school neighborhoods. I pinged my best friend who lives in Bay Ridge and he said "yeah Astoria is basically Bay Ridge but in Queens haha". There's definitely a lot of similarities with regard to vibe, density, night life, types of businesses. Astoria has had a sizable number of young people for some time, but I've noticed more young people getting on and off the R at 59th too these days. Even saw a couple of hipsters!

Totally right about Sunset Park. A good number of two-family houses easily have four or five families living in them, especially in the eastern side. As far as Bay Ridge goes, it's got dense parts with large apartment buildings and more spread-out parts with single family homes. Astoria is similar, but the Ditmars area is a bit denser than, say, the 70s and 80s west of 3rd ave.

Yup. "Bay Ridge has peaked" is a rather strange thing to say. But how do you even gentrify a neighborhood that's already safe, clean and upper middle-class? Not that things can't change over time, but it's never going to be like Williamsburg or Bed-Stuy.

These doofus hipsters look at NYC like it's some sort of petting zoo. Most of 'em view the city as a 5 to 10 year extension of whatever stupid liberal arts college they attended. Upon arriving in New York they immediately take out a subway map and start performing some weird calculus about travel times to Union Square. For some strange reason, they appear to be attracted to Union Square in much the same way the birds of Capistrano magically return there each year.

They have the security of not worrying about paying rent, for they manage to con their family to support them for as long as they can get away with it. I'm a landlord and I deal with these retards all week long and they all have the same story. Most people think they have "trust funds" but that's a myth. What they do have is at least one naive and well meaning grandparent who's willing to fund their 5 year staycation in New York City.

Another common denominator is that if you're stupid enough to rent to any girl 25 or under; its a guarantee that a boyfriend will move-in with her within 60 days and you'll get some random urban camper sleeping on the couch. That starts happening right away.

But, I digress. As you noted, Bay Ridge is an established mostly upper middle class neighborhood. I would say the thing that Astoria and Bay Ridge have most in common is a large, thriving Greek community. Anecdotally, I'd say both areas become less "Greek" each year but that's a common theme for all white ethnic neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City