Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLove1 View Post
The NYPD pays well without a 4 year college degree. I believe they only need a 60 college credits from any community/junior college. Decent pay and benefits for those without any skills or training.
The OP doesn't seem like the type of person who actually wants to put hard work into something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 PM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
What are the odds of getting these jobs and/or how long do you have to linger in the bottom end entry level civil service jobs till you can get a shot at these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Garbage men can make around 100K a year (fairly dangerous, you have a point)

Train Operators and conductors (MTA civil service workers) make 35/Hr at top pay. That doesn't include O/T, night differential, etc.

Rail Road engineers make around 90K a year without O/T among-st other factors, and I think conductors make about 10K less, but they prefer college experience over sheer work experience.

To the OP, I was in the same position as you last year, but I've decided to go to a CUNY. Don't limit yourself.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:22 PM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Selling what? And what percentage succeeded. Sales always struck me as a job where only a small percentage of people had the personality to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sales !

sales can earn big money . i am in a technical field and we have had picker packers learn the business ,go out on the road eventually as outside sales people and earn 200k plus a year incomes.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Go to a trade school, you can do fairly well.
Yes, but do an apprenticeship. I dont think you need formal school to be licensed to practice.

Also dont sanitation workers make good money?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Be a landlord, this way you can be your own boss and you don't have to do much but collect rent.
Yes, yes this too.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM

515 posts, read 875,370 times
Quote:
The NYPD pays well without a 4 year college degree. I believe they only need a 60 college credits from any community/junior college. Decent pay and benefits for those without any skills or training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The OP doesn't seem like the type of person who actually wants to put hard work into something.
You're right! It takes great effort, dedication and strict discipline to be a crook.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
The same non-degree jobs are available here as anywhere else: waiter, shoe salesman, carpenter, whatever.

However, it's not a good idea to come here without education and skills - unless you have tons of money. And, by the way, most people who are self-employed get that way after many years of working for someone else, learning skills, learning a business. Anyone who has problems with authority shouldn't come here.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:04 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
What are the odds of getting these jobs and/or how long do you have to linger in the bottom end entry level civil service jobs till you can get a shot at these?
You need to score atleast a 95% on the open competitive test to become a civil service conductor. The tests come out every 4 years and there's one scheduled for later this year.

To become a civil service train op a 95% is ideal, but I've seen people with less than that get called, a test should come out next year, but you need 5 years of work experience, 4 of which can be substituted with 30 college credits.

Garbage man, you need a perfect score.

Railroading, you need to have a well rounded background. They have multiple positions yearly.

It's not impossible, but the odds are stacked against the OP.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
You'll need more than 60 credits if you want to promote though. You'll also need a B.A if you want to go higher than sergeant.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
He basically said he doesn't want to do any college. Someone else just said you'll need more than 60 credits if you want to promote and certain positions require a BA.

So the OP (who likely isn't coming to NYC) will likely have to work in retail, food service, or labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: