Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
I didn't know the NYPD was an all male affair
Also, while talking about underpaid cops, let's talk about the epitome of under-paying - TEACHERS. The salary of a teacher is near laughable. They shoudl be very well paid
and where would all this money come from to pay all these people the great salaries you think they deserve? so many people in NY think (or don't) like this

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
and where would all this money come from to pay all these people the great salaries you think they deserve? so many people in NY think (or don't) like this
How about using some of the numerous billion dollar surpluses that the city has had over the last 10+ yrs? A fraction of that could be used to give the cops a competitive salary. Or what about the rebates Mayor Bloomberg is mailing out? How about using it to pay your cops a competitive wage so you don't have to hire unqualified people to police your streets?

Too many NY'ers take the low crime and high tourism that has led to those surpluses for granted. You think as long as you can get warm bodies to make the blue uniform walk around, then the NYPD will be just fine. But there is more to effective policing than just having a certain uniformed head count.

Regarding these two narcotics cops arrested today, how many legitimate criminals have they locked up and kept the city safe from? How many will now challenge their convictions and get released back to the streets and subways that you and your family walk and ride on?

Now multiply all of those overturned convictions as the yrs go by and the number of cops getting arrested rises. You will be walking the streets w/ these criminals--and some of them will be wearing a police uniform due to lowered standards and inadequate Background Investagations.

What effect will that have on gentrification and houses going for 600K in BUshwick and Williamsburg?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:42 AM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
I didn't know the NYPD was an all male affair
Also, while talking about underpaid cops, let's talk about the epitome of under-paying - TEACHERS. The salary of a teacher is near laughable. They shoudl be very well paid
Teachers in NYC start somewhere around 40 or 50 i believe, and they get there masters paid for. They max out around 100. Plus its easier for them to get jobs in the suburbs than cops or fireman.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Many of the posters on here are believeing the hype about low pay for NYC cops. Yes the base is about 28K to start, and after 6 months goes to $32,000. However it should be noted that this pay structure was created by THE POLICE UNION so that they can give senior people a higher salary....it was not the city. They CHOSE to make it harder to recruit new people so their senior guys could get even fatter.

The base salaries that are listed are just that..BASE salaries. These guys get virtually unlimited overtime that increases their salaries DRAMATICALLY..but of course the media and police won't mention that..they just want you focused on that $28K number (for 6 months). With O/T, these guys are earning $45,000 to start..depending how much they want to work...and although there is that BASE salary cap..they are earning FAR more than the cap with overtime in a couple years. Nevermind that when they are about to retire, they work NONSTOP for the final 2 years or so because their pension is based on the last couple years...so they make well past $100,000 and live for the next 40++ years on a BIG FAT PERMANENT pension...with the health insurance too!

No it is not an easy job, and I certianly don't want to do it at just about ANY salary...but let's keep things in perspective. I know that when I was in High School...it was ONLY the bad kids, those that did the poorest in school, or who were otherwise phukups, losers, or deviants in some way...that ALWAYS became cops...and I am confident that fact has not changed. So these people, who were typically bad students, with overtime and all the huge benefits, are doign quite well as NYC Police Officers. NO they cannot buy the townhouse next to Bloomberg, and starting out it is challenging (asa it is for most poeple) but the reward IS there, and they in fact do quite well. Don't believe the hype.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 89,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Many of the posters on here are believeing the hype about low pay for NYC cops. Yes the base is about 28K to start, and after 6 months goes to $32,000. However it should be noted that this pay structure was created by THE POLICE UNION so that they can give senior people a higher salary....it was not the city. They CHOSE to make it harder to recruit new people so their senior guys could get even fatter.

The base salaries that are listed are just that..BASE salaries. These guys get virtually unlimited overtime that increases their salaries DRAMATICALLY..but of course the media and police won't mention that..they just want you focused on that $28K number (for 6 months). With O/T, these guys are earning $45,000 to start..depending how much they want to work...and although there is that BASE salary cap..they are earning FAR more than the cap with overtime in a couple years. Nevermind that when they are about to retire, they work NONSTOP for the final 2 years or so because their pension is based on the last couple years...so they make well past $100,000 and live for the next 40++ years on a BIG FAT PERMANENT pension...with the health insurance too!

No it is not an easy job, and I certianly don't want to do it at just about ANY salary...but let's keep things in perspective. I know that when I was in High School...it was ONLY the bad kids, those that did the poorest in school, or who were otherwise phukups, losers, or deviants in some way...that ALWAYS became cops...and I am confident that fact has not changed. So these people, who were typically bad students, with overtime and all the huge benefits, are doign quite well as NYC Police Officers. NO they cannot buy the townhouse next to Bloomberg, and starting out it is challenging (asa it is for most poeple) but the reward IS there, and they in fact do quite well. Don't believe the hype.
The benefits or what they make will make in so and so amount of years still don't change what they see. I'm sure there were many who abandoned becoming a cop only because he/she saw that awful base salary. It's what they see in front of them (or hype, as you like to call it) that is also playing a big role on the fewer and fewer numbers in the NYPD.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Yes I understand that they see that number and many run....there is no doubt about that. I believe in NYC those out of school with a Marketing degree from a 4 year accredited University make about $31,000....actually...MANY jobs (outside of specialized professions like Doctors, Attorneys, NUrses, etc) in this city have paultry if not abysmal starting salaries (lets bnot forget HH average income in NYC is $42,000 after all)...yet pooeple keep coming and taking these jobs..and those salaries are not getting any higher.

As I stated...the profession does not attract "NY"s Finest"....quite the opposite actually. So there is no doubt that these poeple do not have the vision, intelligence or savvy to see past the $28,000 scary number. That being said, the Police Unions choose NOT to educate the public and potential recruits about how much they DO actually earn....which is FAR more than the scary $28,000. The POlice Union CHOOSES not to do that because the tide of public opinion on Police salaries would change..and the Union would lose leverage and sympathy from the public..as a result...they are the ones that are perpetuating the problems we see today in recruiting new recruits. You now know who to thank...and it is certianly NOT the city.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM

24 posts, read 89,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yes I understand that they see that number and many run....there is no doubt about that. I believe in NYC those out of school with a Marketing degree from a 4 year accredited University make about $31,000....actually...MANY jobs (outside of specialized professions like Doctors, Attorneys, NUrses, etc) in this city have paultry if not abysmal starting salaries (lets bnot forget HH average income in NYC is $42,000 after all)...yet pooeple keep coming and taking these jobs..and those salaries are not getting any higher.

As I stated...the profession does not attract "NY"s Finest"....quite the opposite actually. So there is no doubt that these poeple do not have the vision, intelligence or savvy to see past the $28,000 scary number. That being said, the Police Unions choose NOT to educate the public and potential recruits about how much they DO actually earn....which is FAR more than the scary $28,000. The POlice Union CHOOSES not to do that because the tide of public opinion on Police salaries would change..and the Union would lose leverage and sympathy from the public..as a result...they are the ones that are perpetuating the problems we see today in recruiting new recruits. You now know who to thank...and it is certianly NOT the city.
Well said. You're right that it's not the city's fault. The low number is attracting fewer and fewer "good cops", leading to more corruption and less actual policing, while the veteran cops take in all the benefits. But I don't think people try to blame the city, but rather want to know what the city can do to help remedy the situation. IMO, the NYPD is far too worried about itself than the city, and something needs to be done about that.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 PM

HPBX...I will say that, considering all that the police face day in and day out, that they do, overall, and good job. The few "good" cops that the force does attract are quickly crushed and molded into drones just biding their time for either their retirement pensions, or an early retirement due to an "injury" on the job. It is a cops dream come true...and many make that dream happen so that they can get out of the job and sit on a nice fat disability pension.

The city's hands are tied, as it is the unions that destroy any chance a change can occur....unions have the city's hands tied and very little change can happen as a result....the control NYC's transit, sanitation, healthcare, police, fire...you name it. So until the UNIONS decide to make changes..the city really can't do much of anything...they just kinda go along for the ride....status quo.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:24 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Teachers are underpaid, too, but they are underpaid for ten months, while cops are underpaid for 12, and a much more dangerous job.

We can't sustain ourselves as a society without either.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
However it should be noted that this pay structure was created by THE POLICE UNION so that they can give senior people a higher salary....it was not the city. They CHOSE to make it harder to recruit new people so their senior guys could get even fatter.
This is abosolutely FALSE! The lowered starting salary was imposed by an arbitrator.

Quote:
The base salaries that are listed are just that..BASE salaries. These guys get virtually unlimited overtime that increases their salaries DRAMATICALLY
You obviously do not know any NYC cops. There is an overtime cap that you cannot go over, or they limit your OT the next month. Again, your facts ar wrong!

Quote:
Nevermind that when they are about to retire, they work NONSTOP for the final 2 years or so because their pension is based on the last couple years...
Again, there is a OT cap. It is NOT waived for guys in their last two yrs. Also, there are cops in assignments that do not get much OT. I have seen MANY cops retire w/ very little OT in their pensions. That is a FACT!

Quote:
I know that when I was in High School...it was ONLY the bad kids, those that did the poorest in school, or who were otherwise phukups, losers, or deviants in some way...that ALWAYS became cops...and I am confident that fact has not changed. So these people, who were typically bad students, with overtime and all the huge benefits, are doign quite well as NYC Police Officers.
Fortunately for NY'ers, most cops did not grow up w/ GWaC. I know many cops that are fromer military and/or have college degrees. I went thorugh the Academy w/ guys w/ Law degrees. But if you're comfortable being policed by *****ups, do me a favor and never complain about police service in NYC again.

The responsibility for cops has gone up tremendously in the last 30 yrs--from dealing with the increased use of drugs, to the de-institutionalization and dumping on the streets of the Mentally-ill, to Domestic Violence, and now, terrorism. Law Enforcement all over the country has increased their salaries to make up fo this. NYC has not.

The police unions are the only ones being reasonable. You either pay NYC cops a competitive wage, or qualified applicants will go elsewhere to work. Young people do not have to accept the city's demands that cops pay for thier own raises--they can just go work for another PD.

And NYC is left handing guns and badges to an increasing number of people who are physically and/or mentally unfit to work in any of the better paid PD's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City