Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,855 times

Advertisements

So I just accepted a job in Lake Success, and am looking to move to probably Queens to avoid a horrendous commute from NJ. Can anyone recommend some good neighborhoods in Queens for a young-ish professional? I'm looking for something with nightlife, restaurants and also an easy way to get to Manhattan on weekends (subway). I'm also kinda shooting for either a studio/1BR high-rise or loft, I know polar opposites So far I've been looking in Forest Hills / Rego Park area.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Young and looking for fun? Astoria, nuff said

Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Astoria or Long Island City. You'd have to check the commute to see if it's bearable.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:21 AM

116 posts, read 220,904 times
Southside Jamaica, by the 40ps would be a great local for you.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorim View Post
So I just accepted a job in Lake Success, and am looking to move to probably Queens to avoid a horrendous commute from NJ. Can anyone recommend some good neighborhoods in Queens for a young-ish professional? I'm looking for something with nightlife, restaurants and also an easy way to get to Manhattan on weekends (subway). I'm also kinda shooting for either a studio/1BR high-rise or loft, I know polar opposites So far I've been looking in Forest Hills / Rego Park area.

No nightlife in either of those neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
No nightlife in either of those neighborhoods you mentioned.
Forest Hills has Austin st. Bayside has Bell blvd. But realistically, anyone living in the outerboros goes to Manhattan for nightlife. Even Astoria as everyone suggested, yes people are out all night, but doubt the OP will be drinking frappe at some Greek cafe for a good time.

Look for something in Queens with subway access into Manhattan and a less than $30 cab fare to/from Manhattan. Astoria, LIC, Ridgewood and Sunnyside. Maybe Jackson Heights also, but cab ride might be more expensive.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Forest Hills has Austin st. Bayside has Bell blvd. But realistically, anyone living in the outerboros goes to Manhattan for nightlife. Even Astoria as everyone suggested, yes people are out all night, but doubt the OP will be drinking frappe at some Greek cafe for a good time.

Look for something in Queens with subway access into Manhattan and a less than $30 cab fare to/from Manhattan. Astoria, LIC, Ridgewood and Sunnyside. Maybe Jackson Heights also, but cab ride might be more expensive.
Austin street is mostly boutique shops, restaurants, and stores. There are really no clubs or bars. Forest Hills is for families.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Queens selling point is it provides a more affordable alternative compared to Manhattan and Brooklyn (in addition to it being safer). Queens offers some of the best authentic ethnic food in all of NYC (especially if you consider the price compared to tourist trap like Manhattan). The bar and nightlife is better in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Most of the young professionals who life in western queens tends to be transplants who enjoy the suburban feel (reminds them of back home) and cheaper rent while being close to Manhattan.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 AM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
Doesn't the LIRR go to Lake Success?

Why not look at downtown Brooklyn near Atlantic Ave. or Woodside?

I think the Woodside branch goes to Lake Success?

If you live in Woodside there are tons of cool Irish pubs and then once you tie a load on you can walk over to Jackson Heights to one of the dollar dance joints, get warmed up with a little Amerindian mama and then hit one of the many Columbian cat houses off Roosevelt. It'll take you a little while to get used to the scene but you'll be getting laid like George Clooney in Ibiza except you'll be banging hot Columbian girls instead of Clooney taking it in the can from some lispy Spaniard...

Bonus is you'll be spending less money to get tail than taking some stupid Tinder girl who's playing you for a free meal because she's hungry and already blew through her allowance on the bag of bad coke she bought the night before.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorim View Post

The Forest Hills/Rego Park does have some good amenities. I would also suggest checking out Astoria & Woodside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: