Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM

34 posts, read 191,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
Supermario is right in regard that his psychology will unintentionally favor whiteness. That's how people in the Dominican Republic are taught, regardless of race. Being that he was raised there, his psychology towards this issue just won't be necessarily the same as what most Americans believe. This could leave an awkward paradox to those who have enough black to physically not be ''camouflage'' to white America. Being that their children will be raised in this country, it's more than likely they'll follow the trend of the United States.

The United States tells people of African descent that they should indeed be proud of their roots. People from the Dominican Republic don't believe in this. That's both good and bad. By not creating segments, it keeps the people and culture of the Dominican Republic more united, but it also denies history. Supermario is well-aware and acknowledging of all the facts. Probably a lot more than most people in the Dominican Republic ever will be.

No one wants to say they favor whiteness because it sounds wrong (especially in this country), but we can't sit here and deny that. With the exception of parts of the West Indies, it's well understood that European ancestry is intended to be both physically and culturally superior to others. It's largely because of slavery and the fact that our education systems and languages are European replicas. This isn't just a problem in the Dominican Republic, but most of the Western Hemisphere - and definitely Spanish speaking Latin America.

I find that most of these stereotipical blanket statements are made with a US ethnocentric view on race/color and get their conclusions wrong on DR.

In DR, like many other LatinAmerican countries, class>race/color.
I'm not saying that it is immune to colorism, but nowhere near what other countries experienced. The shcism of race/color ran much deeper in the USA for example.
I just find your statement too simplistic, we all know the average Dominican likes a women with some color.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
CIBONEY has come out of left field and has not read all posts in this thread. My comments are tied to other comments in this thread...it would be wise in the future to read through the thread before commenting..as you are now just picking and choosing random comments and not understanding the reasons why they were posted.

The facts remains...the representative color of the DR is not white, it is brown. Are there whites there? Of course....are they a part of the Dominican culture. Yup. Are they representative, physically, to Dominicans? Nope. If I am wrong, please show me. Therefore, when posting representative of Dominican Beauties, lets post the REAL beauties that represent the island, and not the white ones that are the exception and are in fact no representative of the island or its people. I would have much preferred a bunch of Brown/Black Dominican beauties as this would have been far more accurate portrayal of Dominicans than the White Beauties.

But if I am wrong, please educate me.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
NYC017, I was born and raised here BTW........I have visited the DR on plenty occasions however. My parents made sure that me and my siblings have our Dominican culture alive and well. That is why I am fluent in spanish among other things.

Hopefully over time I will be able to change. But being told something all your life and accepting it as fact, is something that is hard to change. Especially when you look at your countrymen and many of them share the same beliefs. Also when you look at all the sucessful people in the DR, the majority are white. When you look at all the models being majority white. DR promotes whiteness. Is hard to change, though I will make an effort.
I'm trying hard to follow what you experienced.
I was born in DR, raised here in the USA, but went to school and lived there for one year. I saw elements of anti-Haitian sentiments, and I saw poor and rich of all colors. Alot of poor white campesinos in the south (San Juan, Azua, Bani).
Now it is true that percentagwise, the lighter are more well off, but this does not stop darkerskinned people from socioeconomic advancement.
You do know that we have had black Presidents, even when the rest of the world was still in slavery?
There are historical reasons (not purely racial) as to why the majority of white/light in all of LatinAmerica are better off on average.
I'm not questioning what you saw, I am questioning your conclusions. Believe me, details, details, details.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but your denying a lot of the self-hate in DR. I've been to DR a lot of times. Black is considered uglyer. Women straighten their all the time, etc. It's a deep rooted thing there.
My man, I'm Dominican, born there and raised here. Lived there for a year and have visited.

Lmao! 'Straighting hair" means you hate yourself? Then go preach to Rev. Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, James Brown, African Americna women, African women, etc.

Answer the question: What color/race of women do Dominicans sing about?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What?

I was only making the point of how Trujillo did indeed try to "whiten," some aspects of Dominican culture. Trujillo might be dead but he had a large impact on the country. He was dictator for about 30 years more or less. Also Balaguer was right out of the Trujillo admin, and he was president for a long time as well.
Okay, I misunderstood. Trujillo did indeed try to "whiten" the country, he thought Haitians were changing the Dominican race

Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
CIBONEY has come out of left field and has not read all posts in this thread. My comments are tied to other comments in this thread...it would be wise in the future to read through the thread before commenting..as you are now just picking and choosing random comments and not understanding the reasons why they were posted.

The facts remains...the representative color of the DR is not white, it is brown. Are there whites there? Of course....are they a part of the Dominican culture. Yup. Are they representative, physically, to Dominicans? Nope. If I am wrong, please show me. Therefore, when posting representative of Dominican Beauties, lets post the REAL beauties that represent the island, and not the white ones that are the exception and are in fact no representative of the island or its people. I would have much preferred a bunch of Brown/Black Dominican beauties as this would have been far more accurate portrayal of Dominicans than the White Beauties.

But if I am wrong, please educate me.
Yes, correct, I did not read the thread progression, just your comments.
They stood out because it seemed like you were bothered by the pics, perhaps I misunderstood you.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIBONEY View Post
My man, I'm Dominican, born there and raised here. Lived there for a year and have visited.

Lmao! 'Straighting hair" means you hate yourself? Then go preach to Rev. Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, James Brown, African Americna women, African women, etc.

Answer the question: What color/race of women do Dominicans sing about?
Dude I'm Dominican too. Been around lots of ignorance. Trust. Pelo malo. Pelo bueno. Family members telling their kids to try to marry someone White or lighter so they can have prettier kids. The list goes on and on. Like I said, deep-rooted.

There is a lot of self-hate in the Black American community as well. No surprise, as a lot of Black women like getting their hair done in Dominican salons.

BTW I want to clarify that there is nothing wrong with straightening your hair, and it doesn't necessarily mean you hate your own race or ethnicity. You can do whatever you want. However, it is wrong to believe that your own natural hair is inferior or ugly.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Dominican Diversity:

Merijoel Duran (News caster)

Manny Perez (actor)

Nancy Alvarez TV show host (Quien tiene la Razon)

Austria Ulloa (model)

Victor Rasuk and Zoe Saldana (both Dominican Actors)

The following are pics from a website dedicated to Taino Culture and Genetic ancestry (all Dominicans ):

More diversity:

Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Ada, our queen sent to Miss Earth

Moderator cut: image removed

Ruth Ocumarez, former Miss DR

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:21 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City