Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I never thought of that way but you have a point. Look, you've always been able to get an awesome hamburger in NYC from 100's of locations many opened 24 hours forever, but New York has never been associated with hamburgers as opposed to say, pizza.

Beef is generally better in the midwest and southwest, where most of it comes from.
nonsense.
Quote:
There are 5 dollar burger joints all over Kansas City which will blow the doors off the lunch burger at Peter Lugers or Sparks for +30 bucks.
fiction
Quote:
However, the best burger experience on the entire planet was always Prime Burger on 53rd. I feel badly for those who never got to experience the most perfect hamburger joint in the world. And, it's not even arguableā€¦
back in my day....
Quote:
Another nail in the coffin of "real NYC". I understand all the psychobabble about change and blah, blah, blah but NYC used to be a far more dynamic city. FACT.
oh it's still plenty dynamic, if you know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM

89 posts, read 150,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Like Mexican cuisine, NYC is not famous for hamburgers and never was. From my observation and experience NYC burgers got better due to increased gentry folks moving into the city especially from the Midwest who put their creative spin between two buns. The best places I ate a burger is Ainsworth in Chelsea, I ate a Macaroni burger this passed winter, and since then I have not ate a burger since. Another place for a burger is at some hotel on 57th between 6th and 7th avenue. Also check out Dumont Burger in East Williamsburg.
That would be The Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel on 56th b/w 6th and 7th. The entrance is easily missed but just ask at the counter and they'll point you in the right direction. The burgers there are pretty good but very greasy. My two favorite spots are Shake Shack and J.G. Melon's (cash only) on the Upper East Side.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 AM

102 posts, read 145,833 times
Any burger that tops $12...maybe even $10 is a burger for the petite bourgeoisie. Brioche...gruyere...kobe...oh, come on.

Citizenrich is, in my opinion, correct. NYC just doesn't have the ubiquity of great burgers one can get in other parts of the country. Some diners do a good one here. Some bars and pubs. But almost all of these places can easily be beaten by cities in the midwest, far west, and on the Pacific coast...those places are burger country.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,930 times
JACKSON HOLE is the best burger in NYC, hands down

Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 14,840 times
I always preferred Piper's Kilt myself. And living in Chicago now, I will say that burgers here are NOT better. Many, many places over-season the crap out of the meat and it ends up tasting like meatloaf. There are many great burgers to be found but ordering one at a new bar is always risky business. I still like the Kilt best.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM

7 posts, read 6,635 times
I'ma have to go with Paul's Burger Joint by St. Mark's and 2nd Ave, been doing their thing for 25 years.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL1534 View Post
Any burger that tops $12...maybe even $10 is a burger for the petite bourgeoisie. Brioche...gruyere...kobe...oh, come on.

Citizenrich is, in my opinion, correct. NYC just doesn't have the ubiquity of great burgers one can get in other parts of the country. Some diners do a good one here. Some bars and pubs. But almost all of these places can easily be beaten by cities in the midwest, far west, and on the Pacific coast...those places are burger country.
This is very true and I stated this before. NYC is not synonymous for Hamburgers compared to the Midwest, or South. My experience with burgers in NYC are either from fried chicken corner joints, fast food joints and diners which always served some of the best burgers in NYC. I have been to numerous diners in 4 of the 5 boroughs and I have yet to experience a horrible burger. From my perspective burgers got better through gentrification. NYC is not known for good Mexican cuisine compared to the Southwest, not known for good Sushi compared to the West Coast, and same could be said for burgers, but thanks to gentrification the culinary experience in NYC greatly improved.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post

Beef is generally better in the midwest and southwest, where most of it comes from.
Not the beef used to make most of the restaurant hamburgers in the northeast. That ground beef comes from old dairy cows, those whose milk production has declined. The 2 biggest slaughterhouses that process old dairy cows are JBS Packerland, Souderton, PA (the largest east of the Mississippi) and Cargill Beef in Wyalusing, PA.

If you want a really good hamburger, don't buy the stuff in the supermarket. There are butchers around who on request will take a piece of USDA choice chuck from their meat case and grind it in front of you.

The 21 Club hamburger served in the bar is as good as there is and not really that expensive (does not contain old dairy cow).

Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Village Voice listing was most irritating...no prices.
Hey, we aren't all Rupert Murdoch.
I agree, I HATE when the magazines don't include prices.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
I'm sure there's better but I really like the shack stack burger at Shake Shack for about $10. I may have to try some of these other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: