Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

NYC leads in many areas just because of it's size that doesn't mean that every industry will "get big and globally recognizable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
I'm surprised my first impression wasn't brought up yet-

NYC over the last 30 years has not been ripe with Asian Americans (including Indians).
These make up a HUGE portion of the tech sector out West.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

NYC over the last 30 years has not been ripe with Asian Americans (including Indians).
If we went by South Asians, Edison NJ would be the tech capital of the east.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM

147 posts, read 197,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If we went by South Asians, Edison NJ would be the tech capital of the east.
Yea, but you forget account for the fact they can't be hired without a H1-B visa...

Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

NYC has many Asians in Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC has many Asians in Queens and Brooklyn.
I know of a NYC startup started by a south asian guy from Queens. There are probably a number of south asians born in the city working in the tech sector.

But WithDisp has it mostly backwards. More of the Asians working in the tech sector are there because the tech sector got started (especially initially Silicon Valley was started by mostly white people) and then some asian Bay Area natives are hired today, but that's not why the firms are located there.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Ever hear of a little company called Bloomberg? That was like an original tech company. Just so happens they specialized in a niche which was financial tech.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
The thing is that most people wouldn't recognize them as a tech giant because they have a very narrow user base. Compare the 300k core users + whoever reads businessweek and the few other niche products they have to the millions and in some cases billions of users that most of the aforementioned companies serve. Bloomberg is virtually unheard of outside of the financial services industry. Even most new-yorkers think it's a TV channel.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
NYC has SEVERAL well recognized tech/internet companies it's just that many people outside of the industry have never heard of them because they are not familiar with the intricacies of the space. They only know things like Google or Microsoft. NYC tech companies may not (yet) be the size of Google, but they are indeed well known and "hot" companies in the space that have very high valuations. People outside of the space don't know what a "DMP" or "DSP" is, but NYC has some of the biggest homegrown companies for these types of technologies. For example, anyone on this thread ever heard of a company called AppNexus? Probably not but they are a big name in the start up space and were founded in 2007 in NYC. Now Profitable, AppNexus Scores $1.2 Billion Valuation For New York Ad Tech Scene - Forbes

Also, take a look at the Lumascape chart http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZjA4ll0Ub9..._Lumascape.png My guess is most on this thread have never heard of these types companies let alone the the categories they are part of (SSP, Trading Desk, Ad Server, Exchanges, AMP). This is also only ONE type of industry chart, it's for display advertising (e.g. "banner ads" on websites). There are other charts that provide landscapes for Online Video, Mobile, Digital Marketing Automation, Social Media, Digital Search, the list goes on. Each niche/vertical within tech has a host of companies just like what you see in the link I posted. I'm not saying ALL of these companies are NYC based, what I'm saying is there are so many companies out there that are "tech/internet" that people have never heard of and in recent years many are indeed coming out of NYC. A lot of these companies grow to the point where they go public but more often they get acquired by bigger companies, for multiple of millions, in a play for those larger companies to expand their offering. So while we may not have a name like "Google" that the average Joe has heard of, we have names that the average tech Joe has heard of. If you want to see a comprehensive list of NYC homegrown tech companies, you can take a look at the Made in NYC website: We Are Made In NY | Learn, Launch and Find a Job in NYC Tech

Also, let's not forget that NYC is the home of media/advertising and huge agency holding companies like IPG, and Omnicom. Holding companies have a multitude of agency "shops" under them. All of these agencies will have digital teams, including separate digital/technology divisions, that in themselves are huge. For example, agency "Trading Desks" are digital divisions that have recently emerged due to something called "Programmatic" advertising. Programmatic media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Programatic is one of the new, and very hot, things to come out in the space in the past 3-5 years.

So again, while we are not talking Google size, at least not yet, we are talking about some heavy hitters that are spearheading some of the new trends in the space.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
NYC has SEVERAL well recognized tech/internet companies it's just that many people outside of the industry have never heard of them because they are not familiar with the intricacies of the space. They only know things like Google or Microsoft. NYC tech companies may not (yet) be the size of Google, but they are indeed well known and "hot" companies in the space that have very high valuations. People outside of the space don't know what a "DMP" or "DSP" is, but NYC has some of the biggest homegrown companies for these types of technologies. For example, anyone on this thread ever heard of a company called AppNexus? Probably not but they are a big name in the start up space and were founded in 2007 in NYC. Now Profitable, AppNexus Scores $1.2 Billion Valuation For New York Ad Tech Scene - Forbes

Also, take a look at the Lumascape chart http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZjA4ll0Ub9..._Lumascape.png My guess is most on this thread have never heard of these types companies let alone the the categories they are part of (SSP, Trading Desk, Ad Server, Exchanges, AMP). This is also only ONE type of industry chart, it's for display advertising (e.g. "banner ads" on websites). There are other charts that provide landscapes for Online Video, Mobile, Digital Marketing Automation, Social Media, Digital Search, the list goes on. Each niche/vertical within tech has a host of companies just like what you see in the link I posted. I'm not saying ALL of these companies are NYC based, what I'm saying is there are so many companies out there that are "tech/internet" that people have never heard of and in recent years many are indeed coming out of NYC. A lot of these companies grow to the point where they go public but more often they get acquired by bigger companies, for multiple of millions, in a play for those larger companies to expand their offering. So while we may not have a name like "Google" that the average Joe has heard of, we have names that the average tech Joe has heard of. If you want to see a comprehensive list of NYC homegrown tech companies, you can take a look at the Made in NYC website: We Are Made In NY | Learn, Launch and Find a Job in NYC Tech

Also, let's not forget that NYC is the home of media/advertising and huge agency holding companies like IPG, and Omnicom. Holding companies have a multitude of agency "shops" under them. All of these agencies will have digital teams, including separate digital/technology divisions, that in themselves are huge. For example, agency "Trading Desks" are digital divisions that have recently emerged due to something called "Programmatic" advertising. Programmatic media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Programatic is one of the new, and very hot, things to come out in the space in the past 3-5 years.

So again, while we are not talking Google size, at least not yet, we are talking about some heavy hitters that are spearheading some of the new trends in the space.
I think from a technology perspective some of the advertising technology firms are much more advance than the many financial IT firms. Examples firms include dstillery , sailthru, and etc. The industry is at the forefront in the machine learning space as well as using the latest and greatest of cloud related technologies. However from a firm mission prespective there's more to be desired than figuring ways to make people click an ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City