Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM

678 posts, read 695,585 times

Advertisements

So
heres the deal, Ill be visiting NYC August 24-27 this year to look for work. Generally im looking for something entry level ( i dont have any experience to get a high paying 100k ) right now im just looking to get my foot in the door. I have 3 years of hotel experience so i want to go that route or anything in the realm of customer service ( restaurants, bars, hotels, airports, cashier, retail). work at a hotel So I CAN transfer i will have some interviews lined up (at least 1-2) but i like to be PREPARED so i also want to interview with the employment agencies, Scouring the web for jobs. Thinking about doing this a week in advance and letting them know i will be there on those days and would love to have an interview with them in person. personally i just feel better shaking hands making them smile and letting them know im serious and ready to work. I browse craigslist and from the description it looks like they are hiring immediately. Just need to know if i should take another route. ive heard mixed reviews about employment agencies. But just need to know if this sounds like a good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 AM

706 posts, read 1,039,081 times
August 24-27 = might not be enough time. Unless, you secure interview the week before but usually a decision might take a while. Your best bet is to transfer from the hotel chain you are working now to one based in NYC. Stay there for 6 months to a year and then explore your options.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM

But I need options if There aren't any positions there I can't get hired I need options and I can't just transfer at will call as I please like I said I'd there are no jobs available I need a plan B

Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 AM

443 posts, read 434,469 times
I live in NYC and it took me 1.5 years to find an entry level position - with a BS degree. Granted, we're not in the same field so you may have more luck. I'd start calling employment agencies 1-2 weeks before to set up meetings for when you're in town. Also, be careful when using Craigslist.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM

259 posts, read 267,175 times
Line up as many in-person interviews and face-to-face time as you can for the time you're here, which is not long.

Continue to scour the web, apply online, check with employment agencies as well -- use all your available approaches because there are no easy jobs.

As others have mentioned, even if you're in the running it could still take some time for them to get back to you with a response. A general rule of thumb is that for every $10,000 you make it takes a month to find a job. YMMV of course, but the point is it usually takes some time.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:08 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,526,715 times
How are you scouring?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:02 PM

259 posts, read 267,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How are you scouring?
Me, or OP?

Since it's going to be entry-level and/or hotel/hospitality, a few sites that definitely should be on the radar:
It's a numbers game sometimes. Connections and personal interactions are best, but also look or scour elsewhere online as well.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How are you scouring?
indeed.com craigslst
looking at jobs within my company
just got a linked in too and ill create a monster online application too
dd i leave out anything?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:00 PM

202 posts, read 220,379 times
It's easy to get a job. 99% of jobs do not require much intelligence or education. The only jobs that require a high IQ are physics professor and game warden.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 AM

706 posts, read 1,039,081 times
why NYC and not another city with a booming hospitality industry?? NYC is an expensive city. Also, do you have a college degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: