Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM

23 posts, read 54,282 times

Advertisements

I and my wife bought our first house last year.
It's a 2 family house with tenants (male w/wife and three daughters) occupying the 2nd floor.

We didn't like it but it was very difficult to buy a house w/no tenants in Brooklyn at the time (people paid all cash and we can't compete), so we just had to face reality and hoped the tenants were good.

Immediately we got no rent for June and July.
30 Day Termination served in late July, and tenant (the husband) paid slightly before the served date, and he told me they were buying a house on Staten Island and will move by the end of 2014. So we let them stay.

Their rent has always been paid after the 6th of each month, which is considered late.

Then in 2015, no rent for the Jan. & Feb., and I after many requests, he slowly paid off Jan. and partial for Feb., in March.

I tried offering 3 months of free rent to get him out but he refused.
He's got some judgements on his public records and they might be the reason he cannot find an apartment in the area.
At that point, we realized he's not going to move out and decided to evict.

30 Day termination served again in late March.

He sent me nasty threats in late April, saying that we failed all obligations since the beginning and he was kind enough to still paid us rent, he is going to send me certified mail with repair requests (leaky roof, peeling paint, plumbing issues), which I never got in the mail.
There were 10 HPD violations on mold and leaky roof etc, which were fixed before closing (I have proof).
He also lied about that he had signed a 7 year lease with the previous owners (we have an estoppel signed by him that says there's no lease, before we bought the house)

We are now scheduling for the 1st court which I'm not attending (my attny will).

I do have the same questions:
1. How long does it take to get them out? 6 months to 1 year?
2. Should we schedule a walk through inspection and take a lot of pictures about the apartment condition? Then repair whatever that's necessary.
3. Do most judges rule in favor to tenants in Brooklyn?
4. If he shows up at court with a fake/forged lease, what will happen (I have an estoppel)?

Besides that, can NY landlords do something to make the T&L laws more fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM

147 posts, read 197,823 times
so you got an attorney involved, why don't you ask him or her that question?

but to answer your question "Besides that, can NY landlords do something to make the T&L laws more fair?"

contact your local assembly/council/congress - men or woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City