Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:57 AM

931 posts, read 801,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
The answer has to be that the consequences are intended, no?

I'm a NYC landlord. I own all sorts of crap from co-ops to multi family buildings and everything in-between.

I was perusing through some the landlord vs. tenant threads and there's a common theme: Because of liberal policy, NYC landlords only want to rent to younger, single persons and young couples without children.

So, I'm thinking that the rules which are supposed to protect children and the elderly are actually designed to keep those two groups of renters away from "desirable" areas.

What do those two groups have in common? Well, they produce little or nothing and suck up lots of expensive social services.

I knew liberals were evil and this is more proof :-)
Totally agree Citizenrich. For every stupid anti-landlord regulation, LLs will counter to lower their risk. Ultimately, the very same people who the "regulation" is suppose to protect, get screwed on.

Perfect example is tenants with children and elderly tenants (65 yrs or older). NY has such strict laws protecting these people from eviction that LLs simply opt not to rent to them to avoid having to go through the ordeal. As a result, LLs opt of young professionals where laws are not as strict.

Same goes for the stupid rent stabilization law. In exchange for the added protection tenant gets from RS, the RS tenants gets the bear minimum in service and a crappy, non-renovated apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
welp. move down south with the rednecks or upstate with the sheets.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
10,000 plus rounds and not a single malfunction yet. I definitely trust it with my life in DeBlasio's NYC.
Personally I would go with a SIG.

But on the original topic, the real culprit is that the government is trying to regulate private landlords into providing public/affordable housing. The same can be said for infrastructure funding and education. The government should not be relying on private profit driven people and companies.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
I choose tenants on their ability to pay and the likelihood that I will taken to L and T court. My best tenants in that regard are non native NYers. They have less if an entitlement mentality.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Totally agree Citizenrich. For every stupid anti-landlord regulation, LLs will counter to lower their risk. Ultimately, the very same people who the "regulation" is suppose to protect, get screwed on.

Perfect example is tenants with children and elderly tenants (65 yrs or older). NY has such strict laws protecting these people from eviction that LLs simply opt not to rent to them to avoid having to go through the ordeal. As a result, LLs opt of young professionals where laws are not as strict.

Same goes for the stupid rent stabilization law. In exchange for the added protection tenant gets from RS, the RS tenants gets the bear minimum in service and a crappy, non-renovated apartment.
Couldn't agree with you more. This is right on target! Same thing goes with my Glock.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post

So basically you're saying, things like equal opportunity laws and affirmative action preceded racism and not the other way around. In your case, regulation is the cause of discrimination instead of being a way to prevent discrimination. How about this? NYC realized tenants with children and the elderly were at risk of being discriminated against and passed laws to protect them. However, landlords aren't just going to become good people just because some law told them so, so they found ways to continue their discriminatory tactics. The naivete is in believing people will be decent to one another just because of the law.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I'm puzzled as to why you've framed this a failure of liberal intelligence.

Perhaps first you could address a more important question: What are conservatives incapable of seeing unintended consequences in situations like not wanting to fund education?

I'm guessing, by the way, that you're wrong - I suspect that LLs are happy to have more mature tenants who will be accustomed to paying bills and understand how to be quiet neighbors.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Liberals are just spoiled kids from well to do family that has never traveled beyond their neighborhood lines very much.

They preach feed the homeless and equality but look at how fenced off the neighborhood they live in.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Oh, what an irritating thread, starting with the original troll post that presumes it is liberals who choose who is renting in certain areas instead of ghoulish ultra-conservative, right-wing conservative building owners.

Elderly excluded from the finest neighborhoods??? Are you nuts? The richest neighborhoods are FILLED with the elderly. Twenty-somthings starting underpaid jobs are not rich...it takes a WHILE to pile up a fortune.
And in what dream world are the richest people in the world childless?

Do landlords have a special place they go to regularly to indoctrinate one another in unending levels of stupid twaddle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City