Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:36 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
They do better at enduring repetitive tasks instead of pursuing technological innovations to automate such tasks.
Huh?
Jewish Inventors

A NOBLE PEOPLE: At least 178 Jews have been awarded the Nobel Prize, accounting for 23% of all individual recipients worldwide between 1901 and 2008, and constituting 37% of all US recipients during the same period. In the scientific research fields of Chemistry, Economics, Medicine and Physics, the corresponding world and US percentages are 27% and 40%, respectively. (Jews currently make up approximately 0.25% of the world's population and 2% of the US population).
---------------
A partial list of Jewish inventions:

REALLY PRACTICAL INVENTIONS: Jeans, Lipstick, the Ballpoint Pen, Contraceptives, Instant Coffee, Television Remote Control, Traffic Lights, Scotchguard, the Flexistraw.

REALLY BIG INVENTIONS: The Atomic Bomb, the Thermonuclear Bomb, God, Genetic Engineering, the Nuclear Chain Reactor, Virtual Reality.

CULTURAL CONTRIBUTIONS: Hollywood, the Sit-Com, the Long Playing Record, Woodstock, Sound Movies, Videotape, Color Television, Instant Photography, Holography

GAME CHANGERS: Monotheism, Psychoanalysis, the Theory of Relativity, the Weekend (Shabbat)

INVENTIONS BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER "C': Capitalism, Communism, Circumcision, Cheesecake, Cafeterias

NEVER BUY RETAIL: Discount Stores, Pawn Shops, the Shopping Cart and the Ready-to-Wear Clothing Industry

I FEEL BETTER ALREADY: Prozac, Valium, The Polio Vaccine, Radiation, Chemotherapy, the Artificial Kidney Dialysis machine, the Defibrillator, the Cardiac Pacemaker, Vaccination against the deadly "Hepatitis B" virus, the Vaccinating Needle, Laser Technology

CHAI TECH: Google, the Wire Transmission Facsimilie (FAX) , the Microphone, the Gramophone, the Microprocessing Chip, Optical Fiber Cable, Laser, Cellular Technology, the Videotape Recorder

HOW DID WE LIVE WITHOUT THESE?: Drip Irrigation, Scale Model Electric Trains, the Pager, the Walkie-talkie, Refrigerated Railroad Car, High-vacuum Electron Tubes, the Incandescent Lamp, Kodachrome Film, the Blimp, the Adding Machine, Stainless Steel, Tapered Roller Bearings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
And what's the point? The Jews have their biggest presence in NYC in terms of their presence in the U.S., so there is bound to be a sizable portion of something from them, be it positive or negative. Overall, Jews do quite well in the city. Look at the number of affluent communities that many Jews live in around NYC and in the suburbs. The fact of the matter is even if there are a large amount of Jews that are uneducated, they have connections here to make things work for them and that's what matters. They control a lot of the real estate in NYC and other big economic sectors, and unless that changes, their influence in NYC will remain quite strong.

It matters because you made massive claims and assumptions about Jews. And they are actually anti-Jewish. You claim that they are all apart of a secret wealthy cabal that controls NY and the US. That is SIMPLY not true.

NY has many poor and uneducated Jews. And as for NYC's wealthy neighborhoods please provide proof that they are predominately Jewish. There are many wealthy white Christians. These days predominately white parts of NY all have decent numbers of Asians and Indians in them as well (many of them have money). Yet you only see wealthy Jews. How stereotypical and bigoted on multiple fronts.

I mean there are clearly many wealthy and successful Irish and Italian Catholics in NYC. We have had many Catholic mayors. It's true we've had Jewish mayors as well, but wealthy non Jewish people seem to be invisible to you.

And as for controlling a lot of real estate in NY, so do Catholics, Asians, and others. Many Catholics, Asians and others make NYC work well for them too.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM

81 posts, read 81,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Instead, I secretly cursed those asians who misbehaved and wished that they will get lost in the train one by one in NYC...
IME, I know the Chinese and Vietnamese in their home countries go by the "me first" mentality, where they will run to seats, cut in line and the like, since many of them don't have empathy as to how it feels if you're the other person if you cut in front of them or steal their seats. The Japanese and Thais are usually politer, but I don't have enough experience of Asians to comment on other countries. I used to live in Vietnam and China, so I had first-hand experience on riding subways and flying on buses with locals. Not saying 100% of the people do it, but it is more common than in the West, IMHO.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post
My dad was a businessman and he always said that he envied the Jews and wished he could emulate them, they have sharp natural business acumen, they take no crap, and they invest in their own community and take care of each other. That's why they are 2% of America and 60% of CEOS and 20% of Nobel winners, they have a penchant for getting things done and it's like they have it in their blood to be shrewd business people. I could say the same for Northeast Asians who do the same thing. People hate the Jews because they roll with the punches and have been more persecuted than anyone but yet always wind up on top.
Your talking about people on here being anti-semetic and yet you are stereotyping left and right.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Btw Hasids are very different from secular jews who identify as Jewish on a cultural level not a religious one. Most of the Jewish people in business are secular.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I knew a topic like this would bring out the bigotry.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames30 View Post
IME, I know the Chinese and Vietnamese in their home countries go by the "me first" mentality, where they will run to seats, cut in line and the like, since many of them don't have empathy as to how it feels if you're the other person if you cut in front of them or steal their seats. The Japanese and Thais are usually politer, but I don't have enough experience of Asians to comment on other countries. I used to live in Vietnam and China, so I had first-hand experience on riding subways and flying on buses with locals. Not saying 100% of the people do it, but it is more common than in the West, IMHO.
How is this any different than the american guy who insist on pushing and stepping on people in a crowded train and holds up the doors from closing for 5 minutes trying to fit inside? All because they have a "me first" mentality and refuse to wait for the next train.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,589,470 times
They're shamelessly capitalist. No denying that. They know the white people have the money so that's who gets catered to. Decry gentrification and minority displacement and the morality of it all you want but at the end of the day nobody has any special right to live anywhere in America so get over it. If the Jews want to offer buyouts to black people and the black people take the money, nothing but a business transaction happened there.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:55 PM

279 posts, read 521,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It matters because you made massive claims and assumptions about Jews. And they are actually anti-Jewish. You claim that they are all apart of a secret wealthy cabal that controls NY and the US. That is SIMPLY not true.

NY has many poor and uneducated Jews. And as for NYC's wealthy neighborhoods please provide proof that they are predominately Jewish. There are many wealthy white Christians. These days predominately white parts of NY all have decent numbers of Asians and Indians in them as well (many of them have money). Yet you only see wealthy Jews. How stereotypical and bigoted on multiple fronts.

I mean there are clearly many wealthy and successful Irish and Italian Catholics in NYC. We have had many Catholic mayors. It's true we've had Jewish mayors as well, but wealthy non Jewish people seem to be invisible to you.

And as for controlling a lot of real estate in NY, so do Catholics, Asians, and others. Many Catholics, Asians and others make NYC work well for them too.
Excuse me but why I would I be talking about other groups when the topic is about Jews? Aside from that, I did not state that all Jews are anything. Looks like that Ivy League education that you boast about endlessly didn't work out so well.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Excuse me but why I would I be talking about other groups when the topic is about Jews? Aside from that, I did not state that all Jews are anything. Looks like that Ivy League education that you boast about endlessly didn't work out so well.
There was certainly the implication that all Jews were one way.

And the topic isn't about Jews. The topic is about how one Hasidic landlord does business in Brooklyn. One Jewish landlord is not ALL Jews. He's just one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City