Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

NYC's post about seeing dust reminded me that I've been meaning to ask this for a long time.

For the first time with my NYC apartments, I'm on a lower floor. Major dust, which is a big problem, because I'm a terrible housekeeper. I was just wondering, is that the curse of a lower floor, or is it just a fluke of how my windows are positioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It's hopeless.
I'm 15 stories up and the dirt coming in the windows is just incredible.

I bought the apartment and they spiffed everything up for me spotless, but I didn't move in for a month. They made the mistake of leaving a window open.
When I moved in it was like walking on a beach and I spent two days cleaning.

If I open a window, I have to wash the window sill almost every day, so for me it's air conditioning and keeping radiators turned off most of the winter...and windows tightly sealed.

I am just surprised that most New Yorkers don't come down with "miner's lung."

Maybe 40 stories up is different?

Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 AM

443 posts, read 437,302 times
I'm on the third floor and I clean like it's my religion. That being said, it's DISGUSTING how nasty my Swiffer gets every time I dust the wooden floors (twice a week). Even moreso when I realize that I've had a window open once or twice during the week. We go the air conditioned route as well in my house. It's just getting through this period when it's not hot enough to turn them on but still warm enough in the house to want the breeze from an open window.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I'm on the 4th floor, and it gets dusty here also. If my kitchen window is open in the back part of the apartment and the wind is kicking, which most times it does, there is a film of dust everywhere.

I like the air movement, so my windows are always open all the way. I just keep dusting and vacuuming.

This spring though the window sills have to be dusted a lot and a lime green film comes off, which is pollen. Funny thing in the back courtyard there are no trees, only concrete yet the window ledge is filled with pollen. Goes to show you just how much is in the air.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:31 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
When I lived on 9th Avenue, and my windows faced the avenue, I used to get a black dust all over my windows if they were open. It was constant. Ugh.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
when I lived on a main street, the dust was worse...

Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 AM

102 posts, read 145,833 times
Yes, there is more dust at lower levels. There is dust everywhere, but in cities construction, high traffic, industry, and lots of neighbors mean a lot more dust.

Some of this will be carried up by air currents with more going up in humid, hot weather. At night, when the temperature drops, particles will settle down. Same concept as rain. The air is not able to old moisture or dust particles as well at colder temperatures.

Since a lot of dust is created lower to the ground, and not all will be carried up, but most will eventually settle, the dust at lower levels is greater in volume. Studies have indicated that people on lower floors have a significantly increased risk of lung disease. The caution on these studies though is that those on higher floors generally have more money, and money has a direct inverse relationship to health problems.

Even in well sealed spaces the air inside is exchanged completely with outside air within a few hours at the very most. In most spaces, especially older ones, the air will likely be exchanged in under an hour. Shutting the windows is probably not going to have much of an effect on dust. In fact, it may make the problem worse as now dust will settle from both inside and outside sources with much less dust escaping out the open window. The best solution is, if possible, to create airflow through the space.

I can do this by opening my bathroom window and bedroom windows. They are in near alignment north-south. There is considerably less dust settling in either room than in my living room where there are only windows on the south side. I have identical tables in the living room and the bedroom. The living room table is noticeably dusty a day after cleaning. The bedroom table does not look like the living room table for a week or more.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I tried getting those little sliding thingies that sit just inside the window and have a layer of foam to catch dust, but it didn't allow air flow.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I tried getting those little sliding thingies that sit just inside the window and have a layer of foam to catch dust, but it didn't allow air flow.
What are these? I'd be interested in looking them up and maybe trying them.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 PM

493 posts, read 511,621 times
I get a lot of dust. I live on the first floor across the street from a construction site. So im constantly cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City