Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times

Advertisements

$1,000 for a studio in a good area with a good commute to your job location is very, very tough to find these days, so your best bet would be to rent a larger apartment with roommates-time out ny magazine actually has a weekly section devoted to apartment where rent per room is close to 1K per person, granted, all of these means taking on a roommate, but there were quite a few nice apartments even in NYC that per person would work out to be even a bit less than 1K. Right now, even the areas that were previously "sleepy" are getting very hot, in an nutshell, anything that is within a reasonable commute to NYC is hot now-25 years ago when I came to this country, people would think you are insane to want to live in Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Bushwick, heck, you were insane to even want to live in Brooklyn, now, Brooklyn is white hot, Queens is getting there, Bronx I think will soon be taking off, the only borough that is still sleepy is Staten Island solely due to the commute issues and it being more of a suburban feel with no nightlife, however, a recent NYT article suggested that the areas closer to the ferry, which btw, are not very good in terms of schools, have begun to attract people from Brooklyn and NYC who were priced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:44 PM

292 posts, read 703,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Newark. 20 minutes on the train from Penn Station.
I believe Newark is a not-so-good area. That's the reason you will find cheap rent there.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
A studio in my area of the bronx is now $1200+

Old 05-21-2015, 02:58 AM

482 posts, read 944,989 times
I think you should consider a room mate. I can't imagine trying to live in NYC on $40,000 anymore.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM

315 posts, read 210,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchaser918 View Post
So what I'm understand is with my income and with no roomate I'll have to commute at least 40 minutes or so, which I honestly think is worth it for the privacy. Not really looking to live in Jersey or Staten Island so I guess I'll start looking in the Bronx and Brooklyn. Any suggestions on neighborhoods there? I've never been to Brooklyn and I've only been to Pelham Parkway in the Bronx. Also would I be eligible for affordable NYC housing? I know some of the buildings can be ghetto but I was looking at Normandie Court and it didn't look that bad and its in a nice neighborhood.
I've been looking and looking at apartments and listings - and if you are looking to pay $1000 a month rent you are limited but it can be done. You can definitely find this in Staten Island - it's like a patchwork quilt but there is alot to love about Staten Island - some apts include utilities which can add up to a lot in savings. I'm a good commuter so for me it would be worth it for the privacy and being able to actually save a little each month. That said, you MIGHT find something close to that price range in Bay Ridge, Bklyn but studios there go for more like 1200 - 1400 but i have seen some in nice buildings, etc. for 1100 - 1150. Then you have to contend with the train from Bay Ridge which is no fun - still - there is alot to love about Bay Ridge and the commute alone does not rule it out for me.

You have to keep looking and put the time in on sites like Trulia. Call a few of the real estate agents and find one who will work with you and keep you in mind in case something to your specifications come up.
Maybe you will find something in Astoria, Queens (not a bad commute at all and there is alot to love about Astoria) or in the Bronx (I don't know the neighborhoods in the Bronx well - my husband grew up there but it is different now).

Normandie Court looks expensive - is that on 95th Street or is there another Normanie Court somewhere?

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
If you went for a 2 or 3 bedroom with roommates you could live in a cool neighborhood for that price. I am doing that and have found good places in both Williamsburg and Astoria

Old 06-20-2015, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 83,622 times
I moved from Kew Gardens in October. I paid 1400 a month for a small one bedroom and $200 for my parking spot. I rather pay more and live in a nice neighborhood.

Moved from there October last year and brought a brand new construction 3 bed and 3 bath 2100 sq feet and my mortgage is $850.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:19 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreGrrl View Post
I've been looking and looking at apartments and listings - and if you are looking to pay $1000 a month rent you are limited but it can be done. You can definitely find this in Staten Island - it's like a patchwork quilt but there is alot to love about Staten Island - some apts include utilities which can add up to a lot in savings. I'm a good commuter so for me it would be worth it for the privacy and being able to actually save a little each month. That said, you MIGHT find something close to that price range in Bay Ridge, Bklyn but studios there go for more like 1200 - 1400 but i have seen some in nice buildings, etc. for 1100 - 1150. Then you have to contend with the train from Bay Ridge which is no fun - still - there is alot to love about Bay Ridge and the commute alone does not rule it out for me.

You have to keep looking and put the time in on sites like Trulia. Call a few of the real estate agents and find one who will work with you and keep you in mind in case something to your specifications come up.
Maybe you will find something in Astoria, Queens (not a bad commute at all and there is alot to love about Astoria) or in the Bronx (I don't know the neighborhoods in the Bronx well - my husband grew up there but it is different now).

Normandie Court looks expensive - is that on 95th Street or is there another Normanie Court somewhere?

Good luck.

No, there is only one Normandie Court and that is it, on 95th-96th between Third and Second Avenues.

Years ago when the thing was first built no one would live up there so they rented out the units to mostly young/new college graduates with their first jobs in NYC. The place soon earned the nickname "Dormandie Court" because it felt like a college dorm or worse frat/sorority house.

That is all over as the place is undergoing a transformation to better cater towards the "new" Manhattan renter. Family sized apartments and that sort of thing. The fact there will be a Second Avenue Subway stop literally on the corner of 96th and Second seals the deal. Sadly they are treating some long term tenants like rubbish.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,222 times
With a budget of $1000, you'll have tooooonssss of options !!!

Staten Island:

New Brighton
Stapleton

Brooklyn:

East New York
The Gowanus Canal
Brownsville
Bushwick

Queens:

Jamaica
Ozone Park

Bronx:

Mott Haven
Tremont
Hunts Point
Castle Hill
Norwood

Manhattan:

East River
A closet

I forgot to mention that the areas listed are intended for suicidal people only.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
I believe Newark is a not-so-good area. That's the reason you will find cheap rent there.
Newark is an entire city with 300,000 people. It has its good areas and bad areas. Generally, the area near Newark Penn is a decent area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoulderShrug View Post
I forgot to mention that the areas listed are intended for suicidal people only.
You basically just listed some well-known bad areas and tossed in some random areas on top of it. Norwood and Ozone Park are fine, Castle Hill is alright, and New Brighton has some decent sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City