Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 AM

11 posts, read 55,591 times

Advertisements

I am doing so research and wanted to know about the community in and around Middle Village. Stuff like schools, demographic information, what kind of people that live there how they think or live, lesure activities, anything. It would be great to hear from someone who actually lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Great neighborhood, heavily Italian. It is actually one of the whitest neighborhoods in the city. Very good access to Forest Hills which has lots of nice shops along Austin Street. Plus Middle Village has good shopping in the neighborhood, which could probably keep you busy.

Decent transportation options into Manhattan. I believe most people take the bus to the subway. I'm not certain, but I'd have to guess that there are lots of express bus riders there as well.

Where are you coming from? West Virginia?

Its kind of a suburban area (by NYC standards) because it has lots of those row-houses and single family homes. However compared to anywhere else in the country the density in Middle Village is MUCH higher than any residential neighborhood you're likely to be accustomed with.

In my opinion Middle Village is one of the nicer neighborhoods in NYC as it is very safe and well maintained, however it is a little bit sleepy for my tastes. That might be exactly what you're looking for if you have kids.

Here are some pictures: stevegarza.com- powered by SmugMug

middle (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/middlevillage/middlevillage.html - broken link)

Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Yes, currently I am living in WV about 50 miles east of DC. My wife (Portugeese descent) and I (German descent)grew up in upstate NY (Rochester) also lived in Raleigh NC for several years. Most of my NYC experiences have been in LIC, SI and in the touristy Manhatten. We are church planters and have been asked to inquire about several areas. Middle Village being one of them. Thank you for your info. Please keep it coming.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM

25 posts, read 95,388 times
Yes, currently I am living in WV about 50 miles east of DC. My wife (Portugeese descent) and I (German descent)grew up in upstate NY (Rochester) also lived in Raleigh NC for several years. Most of my NYC experiences have been in LIC, SI and in the touristy Manhatten. We are church planters and have been asked to inquire about several areas. Middle Village being one of them. Thank you for your info. Please keep it coming.

Hi....I lived in Middle Village for 14 years. I currently live in SC now. Middle Village is a great neighborhood. Churches, shops, schools....very good place to raise a family. It is predominently Italian...however, it is mixed in some areas. Metropolitan Avenue which is your main shopping area is great also. Many banks, drug stores, candy stores, bakery's, pizza, etc. There are express bus lines that run to the city. There is also the M line that is located on Metropolitan that goes straight into the city. The housing costs have gone up quite a bit in the past years. If you are looking for say a 2br you will pay at least $1300 per month...usually no amenities either such as washer and dryer or yard. To buy a one or two family home plan on starting at around $500k. There are local bus routes also...Q38, Q29, Q54, Q58 etc. If there is anything else...let me know. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I live near Middle Village, and I find it to be a great neighborhood. The neighborhood is predominently white [and so are many of the neighborhoods that surround it, except Elmhurst.]. However, there's a good mixed of different ethnic groups in the neighborhood. There are alot of Italians, Irish, and over the recent years alot of Poles and Slavics have been moving in. The schools in the neighborhood are very good, and I think most high school students that live in the area are zoned to either Grover Cleveland or Forest Hills High Schools. Grover Cleveland is ok, but Forest Hills has the reputation of being one of the best public high schools in Queens. Alot of the kids there go to Christ the King though, which is located in the neighborhood. The M train runs through the area, and the area is also served by the Q29, Q38 [2 buses that will bring you to Queens Center Mall in about 5-15 minutes, depending on where you live], and the Q54.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 34,379 times
I grew up in middle Village and moved out in 2006. GREAT PLACE, fine community, very active with the police and parks department. People actually know who lives on their block. BullBoxer31 Pizza, Andys Deli, Juniper Park and a slew of other great place. I still miss it.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:19 PM

I plan to visit the neighborhood in the next few weeks. What are some sugestions for places that are a must see in Middle Village. I am not interested in tourist spots but places where locals and people gather. Were is the local police precinct located in Middle Village?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
The 104th police precinct is located at 64-2 Catalpa Avenue in Ridgewood. It covers Maspeth,Middle Village,Glendale and Ridgewood. It is one of the largest in terms of area to cover,there are 18 cemeteries within the 104th police precinct. They have one of the highest response times for that reason alone.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbigardner View Post
I plan to visit the neighborhood in the next few weeks. What are some sugestions for places that are a must see in Middle Village. I am not interested in tourist spots but places where locals and people gather. Were is the local police precinct located in Middle Village?
The neighborhood is far from being a tourist attraction, but I recommend checking out Atlas Mall [on the border with Glendale, at Cooper Ave and 80 St], Metropolitan Avenue and Juniper Park. I live right on the border of Middle Village so I know the area very well.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The neighborhood is far from being a tourist attraction, but I recommend checking out Atlas Mall [on the border with Glendale, at Cooper Ave and 80 St], Metropolitan Avenue and Juniper Park. I live right on the border of Middle Village so I know the area very well.
Don't forget to go to TSS, great shopping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City