Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not at all offended but not telling. I will say I went to Cornell for my undergraduate degree and I start grad school in the fall. Not interested in putting my whole life story out for stalkers, thank you.

But it's true I do prefer other highly educated people like me, I prefer shopping at Whole Foods, I like to travel, etc. So I am more likely to be friends with certain types of people than other types.

But that's just the way societies work. We are separated by income, education, and a number of other criteria.
Where in the Tri-State area or the USA did you grow up? Growing up would your family have been considered affluent (were your parents wealthy or upper-middle class, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
I'd rather be around well educated AMERICANS (of any race) rather than poor immigrants OR low class African Americans. So my comments stand.

Better to be around these women than poor immigrants from GUYANA (and other really poor uneducated places) AND GHETTO BLACKS. For that matter I don't like all gays. Gentrification got rid of a lot of the low class gays from Manhattan. And I was happy. All that ghetto has been pretty much entirely displaced from the West Village, Chelsea, and Hells Kitchen. The same thing is getting rid of the remaining scum in the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I am happy that Manhattan is full of civilized people with class.

But enough of my personal preferences. You are practically off the boat so who are you to tell people who have been living in this country where they can or cannot live? If you are so proud of your Guyanese identity you do not need an exit visa to leave the US!
Have you no boundaries, no limits, no class, no sense of humanity? From this specific post, the answer is clear. And I fully suspect that the very people you so admire wouldn't give you the time of day.

I need to take a shower after reading this filth.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Have you no boundaries, no limits, no class, no sense of humanity? From this specific post, the answer is clear. And I fully suspect that the very people you so admire wouldn't give you the time of day.

I need to take a shower after reading this filth.
I went to school with them, at times work with them, regularly socialize with them, and party with them. And I prefer their company to riff raff and scum. Just not a fan of poor, illiterate types.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I went to school with them, at times work with them, regularly socialize with them, and party with them. And I prefer their company to riff raff and scum. Just not a fan of poor, illiterate types.
Here's my question from earlier NyWriterdude:

Where in the Tri-State area or the USA did you grow up? Growing up would your family have been considered affluent (were your parents wealthy or upper-middle class, etc.)?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
So you have enough intimate contact with them and you don't notice that some of them, on occasion, display the same types of behavior of the "ghetto types" that you decry? Or do they just not display these
behaviors around you?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Nah, they should just get rid of people from poor countries like Guyana. I'd rather live in the city with these women than Guyanese or other third worlders. These women are Americans they can live wherever they want to within their own country.
Quote:
I'd rather be around well educated AMERICANS (of any race) rather than poor immigrants OR low class African Americans. So my comments stand.

Better to be around these women than poor immigrants from GUYANA (and other really poor uneducated places) AND GHETTO BLACKS. For that matter I don't like all gays. Gentrification got rid of a lot of the low class gays from Manhattan. And I was happy. All that ghetto has been pretty much entirely displaced from the West Village, Chelsea, and Hells Kitchen. The same thing is getting rid of the remaining scum in the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I am happy that Manhattan is full of civilized people with class.

But enough of my personal preferences. You are practically off the boat so who are you to tell people who have been living in this country where they can or cannot live? If you are so proud of your Guyanese identity you do not need an exit visa to leave the US!
What in hell? Where the hell is this all coming from? This is such an unwarranted rant. It's like someone says something innocuous like "today is such a nice day" but the reply is "yeah, but it would be a nicer day if there were no immigrants in NYC". Dude, seriously WTF.

Anyway, as for the OP. Very interesting indeed. Someone on this thread wondered what the age differences where between the couples and I gather that it's probably not that wide, maybe 3-6 years. I get the sense that these are well educated women that indeed held decent jobs for several years, probably even into the first few years of marriage, then after their first child, they stopped working. I worked with a woman like this who "didn't have to work because [her] husband makes enough". She did work though, seemed to enjoy her role, and was successful, but shortly after their first child was born she stopped working. Funny enough they did live on the UES (moved to the suburbs recently though).

I understand the thinking behind these types of arrangements and the men that make this level of money really do think like this, they see everything in terms of time, money, value, efficiency, etc. They look at marriage as a business partnership. Like my example above, at one time these women were probably working and likely contributing to the household bills, but then took the "kept woman" route after the kids arrived. Business people can quantify the value of "childcare" or "housework" and "pay" their wives for performing these duties well. It's fascinating but at the same time scary. These women are giving up their monetary contributions to the household by becoming "kept" housewives but when they do that, they become subordinate to their husbands. That in itself puts them in a very precarious situation- they are basically dependents.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Nowhere did I say anything racist against anyone.

I did say I prefer to be around wealthy people like the ones mentioned in the article to being around POOR immigrants and ghetto people.

That is my personal preference. I am not obligated to like everyone the same or to want to socialize with every type of person in the world.
You went to an ivy league right? In theory you should be far more educated than most. What does you being able to hang out with these women and a racist rant have to do with the topic of this tread and a Nyt opinion piece. I really don't understand this?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-18-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You went to an ivy league right? In theory you should be far more educated than most. What does you being able to hang out with these women and a racist rant have to do with the topic of this tread and a Nyt opinion piece. I really don't understand this?
You said those women should move out to the suburbs. I said I would rather live in a city with people like them as opposed to rhe types I do not like.

My statement is a personal prefernce and one rhat I will not change.

You don't like these women and you have your own preferences that you won't change. You rant against well off people in the city. Does that make you racist?

Maybe. Maybe not. But at the end of the day you are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. No amount of lecturing is going to change how someone feels.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You said those women should move out to the suburbs. I said I would rather live in a city with people like them as opposed to rhe types I do not like.

My statement is a personal prefernce and one rhat I will not change.

You don't like these women and you have your own preferences that you won't change. You rant against well off people in the city. Does that make you racist?

Maybe. Maybe not. But at the end of the day you are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. No amount of lecturing is going to change how someone feels.
I asked you earlier about what type of environment you grew up in during your formative years (family background, socioeconomic background at the time, geographic location, etc.).

Also, what is your opinion of corporations that have dedicated days to giving back to charitable causes (including impoverished communities)? From Goldman Sachs to the NY Knicks, these types of organizations all have teams that set up events that are designed to give back to the "communities" that you chose to denigrate in your earlier posts. Do you think these corporations purely do this for fluff, publicity & a tax write-off?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Here's my question from earlier NyWriterdude:

Those things are irrelevant.

I like what I like. And what I don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City