Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,932,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
The price of anything is determined by supply and demand and that includes human capital. In case you haven't heard, wage growth for most has been close to zero. The pay raise for city employees doesn't accomplish much and is a waste of money. There is no rule in the book of life that guarantees your salary will keep up with inflation. The progressive tax is a more effective way in dealing with the wage gap. De blasio's vote gathering tactics will leave NYC with less money and more crime. Seems like his tactics have worked on some.
Move out of NYC then. Without the Increases there would not have been cutbacks in the pension and medical plans. That's politics. You don't get something by giving back nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,967,602 times
Nycha but housing in general in NYC is a huge black hole from shelters to condos to everything in between.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 PM

102 posts, read 189,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nycha but housing in general in NYC is a huge black hole from shelters to condos to everything in between.
They probably gonna send all the projects to the Bronx.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,872,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
You gave me the idea, what happens if we exclusively relocated all the projects to Staten island and decide to film the island as a TV show based on the hunger games. This way we can use the revenue proceeds to maintain the buildings.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
I doubt that and great job from that uneducated comment. They might send the projects to where you live. I highly doubt all the poor people are going to be sent to the Bronx. Plenty of poor people are moving to outer burbs. Those who want to maintain theiclass are leaving the region all together. I knew of a woman who paid 800 rent for NYCHA and she moved to Georgia and pays 800 for mortgage in a safe clean neighborhood in a good school district. An amazing trade off I'd say.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:07 PM

102 posts, read 189,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You gave me the idea, what happens if we exclusively relocated all the projects to Staten island and decide to film the island as a TV show based on the hunger games. This way we can use the revenue proceeds to maintain the buildings.
Wow, what a great idea.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 PM

31,688 posts, read 26,622,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Chicago's PJ situation was actually much worse because of the more intense crime and gang issues however I never once said to copy the Chicago model. My thinking was more smaller buildings.
Again NYCHA has been there and done that; The Markham Homes on Staten Island.

When they moved previous tenants out prior to demolition of MH it spread some of the worse elements to other NYCHA projects and elsewhere on Staten Island.

The other problem came that even with promises that residents would be allowed to return, that rarely was the case. Building new costs money and even NYC couldn't "give" apartments away. So the higher rents meant many former residents could not afford to return to Markham Gardens.

Finally the last fly in the ointment was the City and IIRC federal government went with the "inclusionary housing' model. That is various incomes levels were mixed into the new MH development with the idea it wouldn't then turn back into a crime infested hood once again. Well you have to offer different things to attract "middle class" residents and people weren't prepared to pay that kind of rent/purchase price for living in that part of West Brighton.

As with Markham Gardens the only way NYCHA/NYC is going to be able to leverage its minimal funds for new public housing developments is to go with a public/private venture. That being said off the bat you will find what replaces any current housing project will *NOT* be another housing solely for the "poor". Private enterprise is going to want something in the way of returns on their investments and that usually means mixed income housing.

Other problems off the bat are NYC already has a vast shortage of low income housing. Where are you going to put hundreds of households displaced by pending demolition of a current housing project until the new is built? It took a *very* long time IIRC can vast efforts to relocate residents of Markham Houses so that thing could be torn down.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Good.

Especially this. A parking space is not a requirement. Most New Yorkers either go without them or pay high prices for one. Time to join the rest of us.
Some NYCA residents crack me up. It isn't enough they have cheap housing, do not pay for electricity (it is included in rent), but seem to want every available amenity but commensurate with their so called "poor" status.

On average it costs >$400 per month to garage a car in NYC. These people are paying $300 for an entire year? Give me a break.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some NYCA residents crack me up. It isn't enough they have cheap housing, do not pay for electricity (it is included in rent), but seem to want every available amenity but commensurate with their so called "poor" status.

On average it costs >$400 per month to garage a car in NYC. These people are paying $300 for an entire year? Give me a break.
Blame Robert Moses for those parking spots in NYCHA development grounds. He believed that automobiles are the future regardless if one lived in NYCHA or in the burbs.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Would really love to see an accurate break down of just how much of subsidy NYCA units receive. From free electricity (which encourages high usage and discourages conservation), parking spaces and the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City