Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:31 PM

32 posts, read 38,974 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because a lot of people would like to know. Some people be planning on moving to the NYC & would like others opinion on what they feel is clean & pretty much safe before the move there. Or even if they just plan on visiting somebody. (Knowing) is always better than (Just Going.) I also like traveling & would like to visit places that I haven't been, but don't want to have to guess if it's safe to say "Hi " without someone giving you strange looks. I think this is a good post & could help a lot of us out. Thanks to all that give their Insights &Experience or Advice. It will be Greatly Appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I don't know of any serious statistics on friendliness, and I don't know of any cities, in any countries I've been to, where you walk to up strangers to say "Hi." Also in my experience, you don't choose to visit a city based on whether it's clean or not. Even when NYC was filthy, tourists and workers continued to come.

On the other hand, NYC is considered at present to be remarkably safe.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:11 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Edenwald

Old 05-23-2015, 03:11 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Can only speak for Manhattan....don't move here if cleanliness is important. One of the dirtiest places in a developed country I've ever seen. Trash literally everywhere, thousands of homeless go the bathroom wherever they'd like - I've literally seen people taking a deuce in the middle of the street in broad daylight. And of course, there's supposedly more rats than people

Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
The areas of the city that I find clean are the ones that have less density or are far from Manhattan like Staten Island for example. Areas that are close to the city and that have lots of density plus foot traffic can be very dirty on a 3rd world status. NYC is dirty during winter thanks to snow and piled up garbage, as well as summer thanks to smelly garbage and rodents scurrying around looking for food. It's one of the few place in the world where a billionaire can step outside is office and or home and smell urine in the air. If cleanness is important than don't move to NYC and stick to sanitized burbs.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-23-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 03:32 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Don't talk to stangers. Don't pick up hitchhikers either.

This ain't the country or the suburbs. There is not enough time in the day to wave and say hi to everyone that you cross paths with.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM

As for friendliness? New Yorkers are not friendly people in general well most of us aren't. Friendliness here vary from day in to day out due to a person's eventful day or persona. Some people in general don't want to be bothered. People in general here try to keep to themselves. Don't get me wrong some new Yorkers do go out of there way to help people, while some others will just put on back their headphones and go about their day. If you visit areas of the city that do not have native New Yorkers like Chelsea, the village, Williamsburg, long Island City you are more likely to encounter someone from your native abode than a native New Yorker. I have been to events that where I was the only native New Yorker there and everyone else was from somewhere else. I find transient types to be nice and have great attitudes over native New Yorkers. Also the restaurant scene has gotten better do to how polite the transplant waiters are vs native New Yorkers who can be rude while serving you.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 11,392 times
New Yorkers' attitudes sometimes border on the criminally sociopathic - seriously.

As for cleanliness - it's completely absent in the northeast in general, for whatever reason. A quick trip to any public toilet will confirm this - I don't know what it is about New Yorkers and their bathroom hygiene, but it is definitely lacking. Also evident in the huge amount of trash everywhere.

If you need cleanliness, try Japan. You could eat off the streets, seriously, they are immaculate, as is everything about the country. In fact, many subways in Aisa have public bathrooms that are actually very clean and entirely safe. Not so here. sad, really.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:14 PM

482 posts, read 945,163 times
As a native NYC'er, I don't think the question is fair or realistic. NYC is made up of literally hundreds of small communities each with their own vibe. Obviously, the more money you have, the better...so on that note, most places below 96th on the east side and below 116th street on the west side, except Columbia University area...is pretty safe and decent.

Harlem is on an upsurge for nice places to live as well..in Brooklyn, there are plenty of nice places...Prospect Park area, Brooklyn Heights area, near Brooklyn Museum, etc. Is very nice as well. If you love trees like I do, you will look in the nicer parts of Brooklyn first. Don't know much about Queens except that I hate it...same with Staten Island. Most of the Bronx is not clean or too far away from downtown Manhattan, so. I can't help you with the friendliness part either.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
As a native NYC'er, I don't think the question is fair or realistic. NYC is made up of literally hundreds of small communities each with their own vibe. Obviously, the more money you have, the better...so on that note, most places below 96th on the east side and below 116th street on the west side, except Columbia University area...is pretty safe and decent.

Harlem is on an upsurge for nice places to live as well..in Brooklyn, there are plenty of nice places...Prospect Park area, Brooklyn Heights area, near Brooklyn Museum, etc. Is very nice as well. If you love trees like I do, you will look in the nicer parts of Brooklyn first. Don't know much about Queens except that I hate it...same with Staten Island. Most of the Bronx is not clean or too far away from downtown Manhattan, so. I can't help you with the friendliness part either.
Out of all the boroughs Brooklyn is the least green and miles and miles of concrete jungle. Prospect Park is very crowded at times when I last visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City