Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times

Advertisements

Interesting article talking about how New Yorkers who used to socialize locally in their neighborhoods are now forced to commute all over Manhattan and the Outer Boroughs to see their friends and what it might mean for the city.

The Social Commute: How the Big Schlep Is Changing the Way NYers Live | Observer

Does any of this resonate with your experience? Some interesting possible consequences for real estate here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 03:21 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Interesting article talking about how New Yorkers who used to socialize locally in their neighborhoods are now forced to commute all over Manhattan and the Outer Boroughs to see their friends and what it might mean for the city.

The Social Commute: How the Big Schlep Is Changing the Way NYers Live | Observer

Does any of this resonate with your experience? Some interesting possible consequences for real estate here.
I don't know. I think they interviewed a lot of wrong people.I literally had a conversation yesterday with a friend who lives in Inwood and was saying that he never goes to Manhattan anymore because he has made a lot of friends in Inwood and has ample social venues there. Then I reminded him that he lived in Manhattan.

Personally,I am much the same. When I first moved from Williamsburg to The Bronx I used to go back to Brooklyn frequently to see friends and hang out there but then I started cultivating a group of Bronx friends and realized that most of my Williamsburg friends were not really willing to trek to The Bronx.I asked myself if they couldn't get to The Bx why should I schlep to Brooklyn ? So now, I hardly ever go back to Brooklyn except for rare special occasions and I rarely socialize in Manhattan either.

I have lived in NYC for a very long time and have lived in many neighborhoods in 4 boroughs. In the end, I have always wound up being a real neighborhood creature wherever I have lived so I guess I am holding true to form. I think most of the people I know are the same.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM

100 posts, read 58,916 times
That article may have an age and marital status bias. I gather if you are in your 20s and 30s or if single you would do more commuting all over NYC. Just a guess and to point out the interview should identify characteristics of people interviewed ( though most of the interview is anecdotal anyway besides some statistics on MTA ridership).

Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know. I think they interviewed a lot of wrong people.I literally had a conversation yesterday with a friend who lives in Inwood and was saying that he never goes to Manhattan anymore because he has made a lot of friends in Inwood and has ample social venues there. Then I reminded him that he lived in Manhattan.
I'll take an alternative tack and say that in my experience people's friends were rarely in their own neighborhood (unless you're talking about people who grew up here as kids in the 1940s). Mine have been at various places in Manhattan, and if they live father out, they work in Manhattan, and we socialize in Manhattan after work.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'll take an alternative tack and say that in my experience people's friends were rarely in their own neighborhood (unless you're talking about people who grew up here as kids in the 1940s). Mine have been at various places in Manhattan, and if they live father out, they work in Manhattan, and we socialize in Manhattan after work.
Yes but the vast majority of NYers neither live nor work in Manhattan.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That is true. I've lived in NYC for most of my life and have friends all over. Even Staten Island but we all converge in Manhattan as the central spot to hang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City