Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

I still agree that his location is perfectly safe, but I also believe he will get hassled (maybe not beat up or robbed) but still- hassled -- if he regularly walks on 40th and 41st west of 9th ave at 3 in the morning. Maybe he won't be hassled if he goes there once, but the chances of it happening around there go up pretty high if you do it regularly.

My point is not to scare him off because his block is nice and he will have no reason to go south and west for smokes or snacks - those are all more available in other directions.

My point is to say that those other blocks are both seedy and weird AND things can happen. I know you think bad things won't happen and that the OP is ridiculous for even posing this question about this particular area.

I know things can happen because I am in touch with people who work in a building on that stretch and they often work later than midnight and lately they have been saying that they are occasionally being hassled upon leaving the building. Currently there is scaffolding up on 41st St. near 11th Ave and I believe strangely that the scaffolding is making loitering there in that specific area at night very attractive to people who are the type to loiter because now they have a roof over their head and protection from the wind. They are also sometimes looking to cause trouble with people walking by.

The building on the corner of 41st and 11th is a shelter for troubled teenagers, open 24 hours a day.

Here is a quote from their website
"Lying, cheating, and stealing are common survival tools on the street. We teach kids by example that caring relationships are based on trust, respect, and honesty."

Do you think they are successful with every kid? No, that would be impossible. So you have kids there who are used to lying, cheating and stealing in order to survive on the street. And now that's their block.

I'm sure the mission of this place is really great and they are really helping people. But it is best to be aware of the population they serve and know that changing people who need a place like this does not happen overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
Henna, you may be right. I live in the area and walk by the seedy blocks almost every day and I've never had any problem. But, truth be told- I've never walked in that area after 2 or 3 am.

The shelter you mention is on 41st and 10th Avenue, though, not on 11th (if we're talking about the same- there are many shelters and welfare houses in the area so you could be referring to a different one). 11th avenue and 41st has the Mercedes Benz dealership. Again, I walk pass the shelter every day and have never even seen people loitering outside. The block is one of heavy traffic and usually has two traffic cops by the shelter.

In any case, good sense and a reasonable measure of safety is always a good thing to carry in mind, in Hell's Kitchen and in Iowa.

Last edited by Manhattan-ite; 01-21-2008 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Henna, you may be right. I live in the area and walk by the seedy blocks almost every day and I've never had any problem. But, truth be told- I've never walked in that area after 2 or 3 am.

The shelter you mention is on 41st and 10th Avenue, though, not on 11th (if we're talking about the same- there are many shelters and welfare houses in the area so you could be referring to a different one). 11th avenue and 41st has the Mercedes Benz dealership. Again, I walk pass the shelter every day and have never even seen people loitering outside. The block is one of heavy traffic and usually has two traffic cops by the shelter.

In any case, good sense and a reasonable measure of safety is always a good thing to carry in mind, in Hell's Kitchen and in Iowa.

yes, the one I'm thinking of is on 41st and 10th, and I never had any problem at midnight for the few years I was around there, but friends are telling me now there are problems - but I think it's probably well after midnight that the problems occur. Anyway, doesn't hurt to have a sense of what's on those blocks and try to use 42nd st after midnight. That was my long-winded point.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I think pretty much anywhere in NYC, if your walking around at 3:00 A.M. in the morning you greatly increase your chances of being mugged, etc.

That's mostly a safe area. One thing to be aware of, there is a lot of nightlife and car traffic around there. Plus there always seems to be some sort of construction happening nearby. Be prepared for a nice dose of noise pollution. But the higher up your apartment building the less of a problem this is.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
That's very right, NoowYurk! Right now a big high-rise is going up on 42nd between Dyer Ave (the Tunnel) and 10th Ave (right across the shelter, and the zebra building where the guy would rent and Manhattan Plaza). Even though they haven't even started pummeling hard, people in the surrounding buildings are already suffering from noise. And that just's the beginning! So much construction in the 'hood.

As for nightlife, there is none that I know of. The bars in 9th Avenue and the 40's and 50's do have crowds, but nothing huge. Also the big clubs in Chelsea, around West 27th, but they're not exactly in the area.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
That's very right, NoowYurk! Right now a big high-rise is going up on 42nd between Dyer Ave (the Tunnel) and 10th Ave (right across the shelter, and the zebra building where the guy would rent and Manhattan Plaza). Even though they haven't even started pummeling hard, people in the surrounding buildings are already suffering from noise. And that just's the beginning! So much construction in the 'hood.

As for nightlife, there is none that I know of. The bars in 9th Avenue and the 40's and 50's do have crowds, but nothing huge. Also the big clubs in Chelsea, around West 27th, but they're not exactly in the area.
Yeah the nightlife is not right on that block but people park their cars and walk around there after getting out which causes some annoyances and noise.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,925 times
I dont like the area that much. cuz it's close to Port Authority. And Port Authority in a way is ghetto. Especially at night. Some creepy people hangin out there.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,925 times
Quote:
Yes, the blocks around Lincoln Tunnel and the Port Authority Bus Terminal are seedy and weird, but still, I'd rather walk there than by the MTV Studios, if you know what I mean. Strange people will always be part of the landscape in New York, but they won't bother you (in general).
Well....I remember waiting at Port Authority at 3pm on a sunny sunday for my friend. When a guy came up to me ask me inappropriate questions. Im pretty sure he was on something but right that moment I didnt feel safe anymore, even though the police was a few feet ahead from where I was standing. Since than Im avoiding Port Authority!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 21,573 times
and what do you think of 48 and 9th ? I'm renting an apt for 1 week on september,,is the place safe?

thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City