Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'd really appreciate your advice on modestly priced places to stay not too far from the Theater District--and how to best get discounted play tickets.

And would the Stage Deli be a good place to get an honest pastrami or corned beef sandwich?

We're two play-lovers planning a trip to NYC for a long weekend to get our fill of live theater--and art museums. We're very open to off-Broadway--or off-off Broadway. Creativity is king in our book.

We're both writers, so our budget is modest while our love of theater is large.

Most appreciative of any insider advice you might give. Thank you!

Just a thought--if anyone needs a pet sitter sometime in April or May, maybe you'd consider a swap--our pet sitting for your place? We're experienced and lovers of dogs, cats, birds, and fish. And have had a parrot, a parakeet and a cockatiel, so bird-savvy,too. Just a thought to help defray expenses for us and you, too, to get your pet(s) looked after of while you're away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I was recently looking for hotels in Manhattan for a friend.

One of the cheapest reputable hotels (normal ones where it isn't a hostel/ YMCA hotel/ or a hotel with shared bathrooms) appears to be the Best Western located around Times Square. I think its official name is the "Best Western President Hotel."

I've never been to the place, but the price was consistently between $90 - $200 on the days I was looking at it.

Perhaps someone else could give their ideas on cheap hotels in Manhattan.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
For discounted tickets, the TKTS booth in Times Square is your best bet.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Also, you can subscribe to BroadwayBox.com, Theatermania.com, SeasonofSavings.com, Playbill.com, and through NewYorkTimes.com, Ticketwatch. You don't often get discounts as steep as you can at the 47th St. TKTS booth (it's actually Duffy Sq., a few blocks north of Times Sq.), but you can buy ahead of time and have peace of mind that you'll see what you want.

Also, some Broadway theaters offer standing room or other day-of-performance cheapies. Unless you can find a centralized listing, you may have to check theater by theater.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks, all, for the advice...now we'll continue to see if we can find affordable lodging.

I've not been to NYC for about five years and the hotel costs have certainly shot way, way up. Makes visiting for average income folks a bit difficult, doesn't it? But there's only one NYC.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM

81 posts, read 410,947 times
A friend of mine from the Netherlands swears by the Big Apple Hostel. It's right in Times Square. It's clean, but totally no-frills: you share the bathroom with the other guests etc. It's just a cheap, clean place to crash; good if you have a tight budget and want to spend your time and money out doing things in the city, not hanging out in the hotel room.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the Big Apple Hostel idea...sounds worth looking into. Hostels can be fun, once in a while. It's neat to meet people from all over the world with a sense of adventure.

Still hoping we can find a pet-sitting gig--we've done that ourselves--let folks pet-sit our pooch in return for free lodgings in our home. Just as long as the people are well-vetted, it's turned out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City