Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times

Advertisements

As dense as the Bronx already is it's poorly zoned in many areas and actually underdeveloped in some areas ie third avenue corridor. It also has the most parkland out of all the boroughs. There is room there for it to become even denser. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where would they dump the ghetto blacks in ENY? I cannot see gentrication there unless they get rid of the current inhabitants.
ENY isn't gentrifying any time soon. That's a non-starter...

Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
These days I am seeing an absurd amount of gentry folk moving into my Queens neighborhood. Seems like every other weekend there is a moving van parked on the block relocating people from North Brooklyn or the Lower East Side. My property value has close to doubled in the last 3 years. This all in tree-lined suburban Queens.

With Queens being suburban, you can also think of it having the most development opportunities vs the other boros. It still has higher density than most US cities.
Much of queens is suburban by NYC standards but compared to other parts of US it would not be considered suburban.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not even. High paid career devoted people are a part of pushing urbanism. They hate suburbs. Suburbs worked better when there were no women in high paid positions. Now with with both mom and dad working long hours, they prefer being close to work and amenitirs.

With that said of course suburbs will not die out. They are increasingly for lower middle class people. No one things suburbs will die off.

If you look at the people on this forum who like suburbs, affirdability is a key factor.
"High paid career devoted people" hate the suburbs until they marry and have kids, and then they move to the suburbs and find out they aren't so bad. A lot of them never move back, but move even further out.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Which block do you live on in Ridgewood so I can gas it... I'll make sure your house stays in place... I got you G-dale
I ain't going anywhere anyway. Unless I go out of state there is nowhere else to live. Your not going to find deals in Glendale, Middle Village, Rego Park, Forest Hills, etc... Nothing is affordable anymore.

BTW...you hyped for Bushwick Open Studios this weekend?

Old 06-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I used the term "gentry" class in a reply to one of your comments a few weeks ago and since then, it seems like you parrot it every one of your comments... lol. Please, please don't be offended.

i looked back and you never used the term prior to then. I'm a bit of a stalker like that. Sorry.

Your use of the word is a malapropism. I think you think you know what the word means but based on your usage, you don't.

What's happening is you're dancing with words in an effort to remain politically correct. You don't want to identify people by race but your point(s) would be better made if you just tried to stick with plain language.

"…I am seeing an absurd amount of gentry folk moving into my Queens neighborhood". That makes less than zero sense. By definition, the gentry class can't suddenly move into a new area or they're no longer gentry.

by definition, gentry are multi generation land owners of estates. Unless they're moving their castle or chateau into Queens (let me guess, you live in sunnyside or maybe astoria. if not, then maspeth or ridge wood - those pollacks like gentrifying!!!), they can't move and be "gentry".

I'm just trying to help you out, my brother :-)

I'm technically a gentry class New Yorker, as my family has lived here and continually owned real property from before this was even a nation. So, now you've officially met a gentry class person. Isn't that cool? Nice to meet you too.
Time to put the dictionary down. No need for SAT flashcards either. We use the word how we like around here.

I'm also technically a gentry class NYer. I always thought I'd eventually move out to the 'burbs, but the city has found a way to keep me. And I'm not technically white either, but I replaced white people when I gentrified the house I bought.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Much of queens is suburban by NYC standards but compared to other parts of US it would not be considered suburban.
That is why it has the most potential for development.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That is why it has the most potential for development.
Im laughing my heart out. Pm me when Hipsters move to Bayside.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im laughing my heart out. Pm me when Hipsters move to Bayside.
Never! And keep out unless you have money.

The way I see it there are three waves in gentrification:

1st Wave are underemployed hipsters supported by their families and retail jobs. This group has minimal income.

2nd Wave are those with actual jobs that look and act like hipsters, but actually hold decent jobs in creative fields. This group might have household income in the range of 100k-200k.

3rd wave are not hipsters, but rich non-natives attracted to the first two groups. This is the rich group whom are paying 2mil for row houses lined with pit-bull crap in inter-ghetto Brooklyn.

The reason they will never be in Bayside is because the first 2 groups are way too poor and the 3rd group is turned off by the idea of moving to an increasingly financially dominate Asian area. Rich educated gentry folks need to feel dominant and not dominated. The idea of being surrounded by minority families with Benzes and BMWs lining their driveways is probably repulsive to some of these rich gentry folks. For the first two groups unless they resort to living in coops, the most attractive aspect to living in a place like Bayside which is buying a detached strictly zoned single family detached house complete with manicured lawns, the first two group would never be able to afford it in their lifetimes. They're stuck moving to cheaper suburbs outside of NYC if they want their kids to go to good schools.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-02-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM

850 posts, read 796,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I visited Austin, last week I was in Miami, now I'm in phoenix Arizona. Miami is very suburban, only downtown and Miami beach have urban vibe. Phoenix like Austin has a small town feel, but are surrounded by suburban sprawl. Their is a push for walkable lifestyle but it does not seem to work. Besides Miami, the other two cities do not have much density and is indeed sprawled out. Nywriterdude only care a bout dense urban core cities like DC, SF, or NYC.
So after visiting all these places which one do you like the most. Is it still NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City