Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 PM

44,953 posts, read 59,942,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The language in the Second Amendment is "to keep and bear arms. I have a hard time seeing "bear" to be taken as meaning anything other than carry.

One of the big issues with getting a carry permit in NYC is that there is a requirement to show some sort of special need/risk that makes it necessary for you to carry a gun. Jewelers, for instance, can usually get approved if they pass the other parts of the application process, because of their risk of robbery. That is the issue in question that will likely get to the Supremes. And that goes to what I stated above.

If there is a right to bear arms, what justification does NYC have to make someone who wants to do so show a special need? So far it's a split decision at the circuit level. But if the Supremes really are enforcing the 2A, I think the special need thing is going to get squashed.
MD also has the "special need" caveat. In some respects one of the most stringent in the US. It will be interesting to see what happens as it, and others, work their way through the Courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 14,361,494 times
One of the cases involved comes from MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
MD also has the "special need" caveat. In some respects one of the most stringent in the US. It will be interesting to see what happens as it, and others, work their way through the Courts.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:59 PM

4,162 posts, read 4,018,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
why didnt u ask for the badge, what an idiot.
Right, I'm going to question a guy who I have no interaction with and ask him to show me a badge. Talk about an idiot.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Right, I'm going to question a guy who I have no interaction with and ask him to show me a badge. Talk about an idiot.
That would, of course be called "resisting arrest" and poor martin would be riddled with bullets. Especially if he was, how shall we say, "pigmentally enhanced."

(I LOVE it...my Spell Checker suggested "Pig Mentality?")

Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 PM

21 posts, read 35,939 times
Off duty law enforcement carry concealed (usually holstered on the belt, inside the waist band, ankle or shoulder) we are required to conceal the weapon so not to cause alarm or from having members of the public call 911 reporting someone carrying a gun.
security guards in NYS USUALLY carry on a duty belt or hip holster - most security guards have to turn in their weapons at the end of the day or are allowed to transport them ONLY to and from work. Getting caught carrying out of those rules will still result in criminal charges and loss of license.
Most security guards that carry concealed are current or retired law enforcement

as both a veteran and member of Law enforcement - all NYC gun laws do is keep responsible law abiding people from carrying guns.
criminals don't give a damn about gun laws - depending on where in the city you are 50 - 85% of weapons used in crimes are from out of state (most stolen but some legally purchased and then sent up the iron pipeline to NYC)

Old 06-07-2015, 02:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 14,361,494 times
I had a next door neighbor who was a cop, a detective, so he wore plain cloths, and usually suits. I'd see him coming home from work with his jacket off, over his shoulder, with his gun on full display.

No one batted an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City