Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,871,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
What you are low key trying to say is that Indian and asian guys have a hard time attracting WHITE women.

Most indian and asian women I have met prefer their own. So that is not the real issue.

If a man cannot get at least a little attention from ladies in while living in NYC then he will have trouble everywhere he goes.
I would agree many minorities struggle dating a white women from Manhattan who is fashionable and trendy. Many of them do well within their own ethnicity, while dreaming of one day dating a white women. Many of them have no difficulty dating a foreign women of similar ethnicity (for example, an Asian women from flushing Queens would find an Asian American making six figures as highly desirable).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 PM

377 posts, read 505,453 times
Such a silly thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 PM

31,655 posts, read 26,539,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incaita View Post
Such a silly thread

Oh I don't know...

These guys are why NYC’s single women are screwed | New York Post

Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would agree many minorities struggle dating a white women from Manhattan who is fashionable and trendy. Many of them do well within their own ethnicity, while dreaming of one day dating a white women. Many of them have no difficulty dating a foreign women of similar ethnicity (for example, an Asian women from flushing Queens would find an Asian American making six figures as highly desirable).

Oh I don't know about "struggling" but see a very good number of white females of all ages with minority men all over Manhattan below Harlem. Walking around the UES and UWS you see interracial couples quite often.

There is a theory that besides old taboos breaking down many white/European females are finding the pool of eligible white, young, successful, well off to wealthy, educated, good looking, fit and so froth in NYC not large as they would imagine. Oh and make no mistake the acceptance of homosexuality including now gay marriage and parenting has impacted the number of men on the "straight" marriage or dating market.

So if many of these white females want a serious relationship that leads to marriage and a family they must start looking "down" and or to other races; that is just all there is to it.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:16 PM

436 posts, read 562,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post

What I have found though is that at least for the people living in Manhattan below 96th, pedigree makes a huge difference in who they hang out with, who they date and how they meet other people. In that regard (and this has been touched upon in other threads on CD before) I find Manhattan to be quite clique-ish and segregated. You have the yuppies that go to elite schools and then move in to areas such as Murray Hill or whatever and from the get go they have their social networks already set up and tend to meet and socialize exclusively within those circles, and if you're an outsider it's tough if not impossible to break in. By way of an example, I have a younger cousin who knows in some way or another literally everyone in her entire 7-story walkup (she's in her early 20s) as they all went to the same school or were linked to each other through friends or friends of friends. She moved in from Boston to the city a few years ago and has never had a need to make new friends or venture outside her network because it's already quite large. I'm not generalizing from just one example of course as I've noticed the same thing over and over many times with others as well.
I've kind of noticed this myself. I happened to attend one of those "elite schools" but have no part of those circles for a variety of reasons. They're a part of the reason I'm thinking more and more of leaving New York in 3 years and never looking back (at least for the rest of my 20's). Very few things get my hatred and cliques are one of them. They ruin the social atmosphere of a place and limit inclusion and openness. I doubt many people would enjoy an environment like that.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,313,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There was a thread last year from an Asian-American (of Korean descent, if I recall) where he said he's never had as much difficulty dating white women as he has while living in NYC (don't recall if he was still living here at the time of starting the thread). He said he has lived in the south and did much better with white women there than here.

It doesn't surprise me at all. On Match (which asks for ethnic preferences), I was surprised with how many white women explicitly stated a preference for white men.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
There was a thread last year from an Asian-American (of Korean descent, if I recall) where he said he's never had as much difficulty dating white women as he has while living in NYC (don't recall if he was still living here at the time of starting the thread). He said he has lived in the south and did much better with white women there than here.

It doesn't surprise me at all. On Match (which asks for ethnic preferences), I was surprised with how many white women explicitly stated a preference for white men.

That makes sense, doesn't it? A female is likely looking for a potential husband and father of her children; thus should come as no shock even in this modern era of "equality" not every woman wants a bi-racial child. Heck gay men who can afford it travel either to the USA or Ukraine to find white/European women to act as surrogates for their children. Again things haven't changed as much as many would like to believe.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,871,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about "struggling" but see a very good number of white females of all ages with minority men all over Manhattan below Harlem. Walking around the UES and UWS you see interracial couples quite often.
NYC is such a transient place that it difficult to measure by visual alone. Many white women who come from south and midwest are more open minded to dating outside their race compared to someone born and raised in the northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

It is a much more difficult comparison to make as it apple vs oranges. The level of competition and mindset is less intense in the south and midwest. In NYC you are a small fish in a big pond, while in other places you are a big fish in a small pond. Given the south and midwest has much higher obesity level and minorities would appear to be more unique given an exotic vibe compared to NYC. If you just think how absurd the competition for resources in NYC is that someone making $50k (median household salary of US) qualifies for NYCHA.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I've kind of noticed this myself. I happened to attend one of those "elite schools" but have no part of those circles for a variety of reasons. They're a part of the reason I'm thinking more and more of leaving New York in 3 years and never looking back (at least for the rest of my 20's). Very few things get my hatred and cliques are one of them. They ruin the social atmosphere of a place and limit inclusion and openness. I doubt many people would enjoy an environment like that.

Yes, but things have always been this way. Not just in the United States, but Europe, Asian, South American countries, where there is any sort of "elite" you generally find they keep to their own society.
That is they all know each other and marry each other.

In France parents (usually mothers) arrange parties (rallie) where all the other young children and teenagers in attendance are socially "acceptable". Children grow up knowing who makes up "la Belle Monde" for their set and rarely deviate outside of that society.

This closed society makes it very difficult for outsiders ( posers and name droppers in particular) because since everyone knows everyone else mentioning a name or place will invariably draw the response "who?". That is the first salvo over the bow telling you they know what you are saying is nonsense.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Article makes a good point and states what I have been saying for a while now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City