Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of people posting don't even live in these high crime areas, but have so much to say tho!
Preach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Yes. Compstat DOES make it easier. Yet here you are, making false statements. "Violent crime is rising in crown heights and bed-stuy!" But its not. "West CH isn't seeing nearly the amount of crime as the rest of the neighborhood!" But have you actually looked at a crime map to confirm that? What do you even classify as "western"?

If what I said came across as insults, thats not how they are meant. They are just pure facts. You probably think I'm some DeBlasio supporter, when in fact I was indifferent to the guy until I saw how you guys ran bias articles and posted false information to sway other people.

Republicans disagree with the tactics of a Democrat. Wow, that's a pretty big shock. When Bloomburg faced his upward trend people said the same exact things. "Oh no, its back to the 80's! Its all over now!"

I wish Sobroguy was still here.
Firstly, I mentioned CompStat and other sources, including SpotCrime (CompStat doesn't seem to reveal shootings, for instance, while SpotCrime does indicate at least some shootings). And I consider western Crown Heights to mean west of Nostrand and North of Eastern Parkway, though others may disagree. Violent crime in this area, especially as you get closer to Prospect Heights, is not as severe as it is in some other parts of Crown Heights judging by maps from SpotCrime. Though, I admit that SpotCrime's data may not be complete.

Ultimately, though, say the neighborhoods were off. So what? Did you really go on such a rant over a neighborhood (note, I also mentioned the South Bronx, which I see you're not disagreeing with) that may be out of place for comparison purposes, given the overall point of my post? The gist of my argument is that violent crime is increasing in certain neighborhoods vs. other neighborhoods (and in general), which is in large part, in my and others' view, due to changes in policing under de Blasio (in addition to the anti-police atmosphere that we see from such changes and the general demonization of the police by Sharpton, de Blasio, etc. The specific neighborhood comparison points were a side note for emphasis purposes, not necessary for the discussion. And my views on the matter are in no way unique, which made some of your criticism all the more interesting to me.

That general point, along with the analyses of former administration officials, is why my analysis is worthy of discussion here.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-08-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of people posting don't even live in these high crime areas, but have so much to say tho!
Yup. So much hyperbole it's laughable. If the people who live in historically higher crime areas, self included, start commenting, THEN we can have a serious conversation about it.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
You do realize that in America freedom of movement is a right so:

A) you have commentors here who've formerly lived in high crime areas.

B) travel through high crime areas regularly.

C) work in high crime areas.

D) crime "travels"

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You do realize that in America freedom of movement is a right so:

A) you have commentors here who've formerly lived in high crime areas.

B) travel through high crime areas regularly.

C) work in high crime areas.

D) crime "travels"
E) have overlapping school districts...and amenities and shared resources in general since that is one of the primary purposes for us living in a city. I can walk to a high crime area in minutes. Keep the garbage on your side of the fence if you want to live that way. Don't come over here to jack some innocent kids bike. Then if we protect ourselves, somehow its a hate crime.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
E) have overlapping school districts...and amenities and shared resources in general since that is one of the primary purposes for us living in a city. I can walk to a high crime area in minutes. Keep the garbage on your side of the fence if you want to live that way. Don't come over here to jack some innocent kids bike. Then if we protect ourselves, somehow its a hate crime.
Yeah but everywhere can't be good in a city so I hope you realize that. That's one of the primary issues of living in a city. It's not like people are traveling from the South Bronx to the South Shore of Staten Island to commit home invasions. So if you live close to a high crime area - that's what you gotta deal with. Or you can move. As long as you have a significant part of the population that is in poverty, you will have crime. If you live closer to them, you see more of it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Abandonment of the broken windows policy is blatantly obvious under Deblasio.

Easiest example is the Manhattan Bridge. I use to walk on the pediastrian walkway regularly since I moved to Dumbo in 2007. Graffitti free under Bloomberg's watch. Any grafitti would be erased within 1 week. Since Diblasio became mayor, its covered in vandalism and neglected. When the city stops caring, thugs get more brave. I remember this last winter, ghetto project kids would throw ice balls (not snow) down on to people in dumbo. Would never happen under Bloomberg.

Selling my DUMBO condo now while the RE value is still hot, because all it takes is one transplanted yuppie to get his ass shot to drop the RE values.

Thanks Deblasio.
DUMBO will be ok. $4,200 a month to live across the street from Farragut Houses at 99 Gold Street. DUMBO will be just fine...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM

292 posts, read 569,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post

Here is a device that can help cut down on crime if used properly:

Jougs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 PM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
Said this before, NYC will have higher crime rates and a budget deficit after de blasio is through.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Conservatives sure enjoy lying to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City