Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 PM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

I park right by there. I never had had any problems. There about to build a huge new condo on 95th and 3rd.

A lot of this area is caught in the 2nd Avenue Subway construction. Getting to the Lex Line stop at 96th Street is a decent uphill climb.

In general, there are nicer parts of the UES. But if you can get a good deal in that area, it would be okay. The more west, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,734 times
Thanks for all the info guys. Yea I checked out the area recently and it looked alright. I would prefer to live more west but man, the rents are crazy closer to the park.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Also, do you guys/gals know what hours the 2nd ave subway construction work occurs? Is it an 8-5 pm thing? Or do they also work after hours?

Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Spanish Harlem is about half Latino, with significant white, black and (very recently) Chinese populations.

It's a relatively safe neighborhood. In any case, we aren't talking Spanish Harlem here, we're talking the Upper East Side, which is EXTREMELY safe. This is one of the safest parts of NYC (east 90's).
What Latino groups have a big presence there?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What are the demographics of Spanish Harlem like these days?

Also I hate the name "Spanish Harlem", it bothers me how so many people here in New York refer to Latinos as "Spanish"
Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Mexicans with smaller amounts of Central and South Americans.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I park right by there. I never had had any problems. There about to build a huge new condo on 95th and 3rd.

A lot of this area is caught in the 2nd Avenue Subway construction. Getting to the Lex Line stop at 96th Street is a decent uphill climb.

In general, there are nicer parts of the UES. But if you can get a good deal in that area, it would be okay. The more west, the better.
The UES portion of the 2nd Avenue subway will be done next year. They have been installing elevators and escalators. Recently the first work train rode the tracks.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I feel like it's ok up there. I had a friend that lived on York ave in the high 80's and the building was beautiful.
The original Carmines is in that area as well.
York Avenue around 86th or even up to the low 90's is *NOTHING* like Spanish Harlem and or above 96th Street. It is quiet, beautiful and at least between York and East End very affluent.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What are the demographics of Spanish Harlem like these days?

Also I hate the name "Spanish Harlem", it bothers me how so many people here in New York refer to Latinos as "Spanish"
Then you obviously either were not born here and or are ignorant of how the area came to be named so.

Spanish Harlem refers to the fact large numbers of Puerto Ricans and other Latinos began moving into East Harlem after WWI. Their numbers grew that eventually many of the other ethnic groups (Italians, Germans, Eastern European Jews, etc...) largely packed up and moved out.

Today Mexicans, Dominicans and others are taking over "Spanish Harlem" as the original PR presence begins to wane.

Mexicans in particular were/are drawn to the place because at one time it had plenty of cheap housing. Especially if you wanted to carve up units and or house ten or more persons to an apartment. Even today every night you see plenty of Mexicans riding their bikes and or walking north up Madison through Second Avenues to get "home".

This is slowly changing as East Harlem between Park and the River begins to gentrify. It will be further aided when the SAS opens with a stop at 96th and Second.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc999 View Post
Looking for an apt here. Is this area safe?
As compared to what? You can get jacked, mugged, raped, robbed or whatever on Park Avenue and East 95th just easily as several avenues east (it has and continues to happen).

The area is part of old Yorkville and filled with tenement apartments on the streets with some newer buildings especially on the avenues. It is quaint in places, old world gritty in others.

Safety in NYC is more about how one conducts oneself and or goes about one's business than where you live. Though the latter obviously does play a part again you can be a victim of crime anywhere in the City, even in "nice" areas.

Don't speak to strange persons, keep your guard up/be aware of surroundings. Don't let strange persons into your apartment and or follow you into the building. Don't walk around the streets of NYC totally immersed in your phone or whatever and not aware of what is going on. Don't walk around drunk/stoned off your behind and so forth.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As compared to what? You can get jacked, mugged, raped, robbed or whatever on Park Avenue and East 95th just easily as several avenues east (it has and continues to happen).

The area is part of old Yorkville and filled with tenement apartments on the streets with some newer buildings especially on the avenues. It is quaint in places, old world gritty in others.

Safety in NYC is more about how one conducts oneself and or goes about one's business than where you live. Though the latter obviously does play a part again you can be a victim of crime anywhere in the City, even in "nice" areas.

Don't speak to strange persons, keep your guard up/be aware of surroundings. Don't let strange persons into your apartment and or follow you into the building. Don't walk around the streets of NYC totally immersed in your phone or whatever and not aware of what is going on. Don't walk around drunk/stoned off your behind and so forth.
How would you compare the area around 95th between 1st and 2nd ave to that between third and lex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City